WCW's Highway to Hell

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
715 replies to this topic

#21 jdw

jdw
  • Members
  • 8040 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

If you think it's bad now, wait until you have to watch hours of Wil E. Russoyote, Super Booker stuff later in the year. There is no Austin and Rock and Vince to save you. :) John

#22 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Russo drove me off WWF in mid 99 and off WCW before Starrcade of the same year. I have no idea how much I'll be able to endure this time around. Maybe I won't go that far.;)

#23 artDDP

artDDP
  • Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

El-P, you're a brave man. Back at the time I was a teenager completely immersed in the business and the fact that it was seemingly so chaotic and anything could happen on live TV made it pretty compelling and kept me coming back even with the horrible booking. I've tried watching a lot of that stuff back and aside from a few highlights it hasn't held up well.

#24 Slasher

Slasher
  • Members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

I wonder how long poor El-P will last on this project. WCW 1999 is arguably the single worst year for any major American televised promotion, ever. Nash's booking, especially in the summer, is so bad that it makes Russo's first tenure (which is included!) look relatively awesome by comparison.

I admit to being a crazy fuck when it comes to wrestling but I loved WCW in its dying days. Much moreso than WWF, in that era anyways. I only jumped over to WWF when Benoit did, but even then, WCW was the show to watch then, for me.

#25 rvd356

rvd356
  • Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

I wonder how long poor El-P will last on this project. WCW 1999 is arguably the single worst year for any major American televised promotion, ever. Nash's booking, especially in the summer, is so bad that it makes Russo's first tenure (which is included!) look relatively awesome by comparison.

I admit to being a crazy fuck when it comes to wrestling but I loved WCW in its dying days. Much moreso than WWF, in that era anyways. I only jumped over to WWF when Benoit did, but even then, WCW was the show to watch then, for me.

I'm with you here. I ALWAYS was a WCW guy after I discovered it(Summer 1997). Maybe because it has all my WWF NBC/Coliseum video(only channel I had till '97, and the local video store only carried WWF tapes) favorites like Hogan, Savage, Razor, Piper etc. The WWF & WCW had lots of new(to me) guys like Austin, Benoit, vader, Booker T, Foley but WCW just seemed so much more 'Must See'. Plus apart from Sasuke/Taka from IYH & Raw in '97(still love those two little matches though), WCW's juinor heavyweight division crushed WWF's, and that was a style I had *never* seen except for maybe The Rockers, 'Leapin' Lanny and a handful of WWF guys.

#26 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Well, the true WCW fanatics here should already know what the next "line of week" will be...

#27 Bigelow34

Bigelow34
  • Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I am digging this and hope you stick with it...but nobody can blame you if you tap out! In a related subject, we are interviewing Scott Hudson on the show tonight. Anything specific you want us to ask him since you are fresh on some of this material?

#28 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10262 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

We should come up with a pool for when he quits.

#29 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I am digging this and hope you stick with it...but nobody can blame you if you tap out!

In a related subject, we are interviewing Scott Hudson on the show tonight. Anything specific you want us to ask him since you are fresh on some of this material?

Not really, although it is refreshing to hear him on Saturday Night, he seemed to get along Tenay pretty well. It seems like he was into wrestling history to some extent, as he would refer to actual older stuff during the show, which was pretty cool.

#30 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

5533469[/url]']
I am digging this and hope you stick with it...but nobody can blame you if you tap out!

In a related subject, we are interviewing Scott Hudson on the show tonight. Anything specific you want us to ask him since you are fresh on some of this material?

On Graham Cawthon's podcast interview with Chris Cruise, Cruise claimed that when Hudson was hired, he would basically do announcing for free. According to Cruise, this pissed the announcers off because it would cut into their paychecks in their eyes and it meant the end of Cruise in WCW. How would he respond to Cruise's claim?

#31 Bigelow34

Bigelow34
  • Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Good info. I will make sure we ask it. Graham is joining us for the interview, so he can speak right to it.

#32 jpchicago23

jpchicago23
  • Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

You could also ask him about the final episode of Nitro and working with Arn during the whole Invasion stuff. Also if he was really big into wrestling you could ask him how much better it was to see announce good wrestling matches on the C shows like saturday night opposed to the crap that was on Nitro and Thunder at the time

#33 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Listen to a podcast called Wrestlespective cover the Starrcade 2000 Main Event. They go through the entire 2000 World Heavyweight Title lineage just to show how fucked up the promotion had been that year. Not even sure how Chad & Parv will make it through the 1999-2001 years! Though that's just the PPVs/special shows, so it's a little easier to take =;)

#34 thebrainfollower

thebrainfollower
  • Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Doctor Who, Star Wars, classic horror, politics, history, theater, and that wrestling thing we are here for.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

I call it the poor guy gives up when the possibility is thrown out that WCW"s new top heel might be Carmen Electra. Anyone who survives after that earns my respect.

#35 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

We should come up with a pool for when he quits.

I'll say it will be time to hide the sharp objects by Great American Bash 2000. By then you don't even have the obscene glory of the Arquette/DDP/Jarret triple cage match (which is a match I actually enjoy for reasons that are probably impossible to justify) and you're just into Slap Nuts vs. Big Daddy Cool.

#36 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Four words, World Champion David Arquette!

#37 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10258 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I know personally I will have to do some soul searching after Russo's rant at BATB 2000 when we get there.

#38 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

I know personally I will have to do some soul searching after Russo's rant at BATB 2000 when we get there.

It's kind of funny how many people at the time loved it and thought it was so great someone finally told off Hogan.

#39 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

We gotta get through the Dungeon of Doom first.

#40 thebrainfollower

thebrainfollower
  • Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Doctor Who, Star Wars, classic horror, politics, history, theater, and that wrestling thing we are here for.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

That reminds me of my greatest shame as a wrestling fan - the first WCW PPV I actually bought was %&%$&$&$ Uncensored 96! Yeah I admit it, I actually thought the main event was so strange it would be worth watching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users