Introduction to the Board as a wrestling fan

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

What's up guys, Christian here. I'm 24 years old, born and raised in good ol' Germany. I've been a fan since about early 1999 when I saw a Monday Nitro on DSF. I can't remember all the details, all I remember is that I saw an unmasked Rey Mysterio in a Cow jumpsuit and I thought that was the coolest sh*t ever. Since we didn't get WWF at the time I was a WCW fan growing up. I remember hearing that Kevin Nash beat Goldberg and thought that Nash must be the most badass guy since he beat Goldberg (never seen Kevin Nash before, just heard about the match). When I finally saw him on TV I was wildly disappointed, because he sold for some guy who I didn't even know. Now I'm mostly watching all of the stuff I have missed, which means mostly 80's and 90's stuff. The current stuff WWE, TNA etc. put on doesn't interest me anymore. If anything worthwhile happens I watch it, but it's mostly reports for me now. Anyways I'm just happy to have found this place, and please go easy on me, I'm not an expert on old wrestling but I'm trying to learn ;)

#42 cheapshot

The chap they call Allan.

• Members
  • 1054 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

What's up guys, Christian here.

I'm 24 years old, born and raised in good ol' Germany. I've been a fan since about early 1999 when I saw a Monday Nitro on DSF.
I can't remember all the details, all I remember is that I saw an unmasked Rey Mysterio in a Cow jumpsuit and I thought that was the coolest sh*t ever.

Since we didn't get WWF at the time I was a WCW fan growing up. I remember hearing that Kevin Nash beat Goldberg and thought that Nash must be the most badass guy since he beat Goldberg (never seen Kevin Nash before, just heard about the match). When I finally saw him on TV I was wildly disappointed, because he sold for some guy who I didn't even know.

Now I'm mostly watching all of the stuff I have missed, which means mostly 80's and 90's stuff. The current stuff WWE, TNA etc. put on doesn't interest me anymore. If anything worthwhile happens I watch it, but it's mostly reports for me now.

Anyways I'm just happy to have found this place, and please go easy on me, I'm not an expert on old wrestling but I'm trying to learn ;)

Living in England, we could get WCW via DSF on analogue Sky on the ASTRA channels. I could never get the DSF WCW PPV schedule correct and I always missed them. As hard as I tried, I could never find a reliable source for listings, no matter where I looked and when I did find a TV guide-mag which had listings, they were never correct, as stupid as that sounds now.

#43 Muracofan

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

Anthony here, 46 years old from New York and found out about the board from listening to the The Titans Of Wrestling Podcast. I started as a casual fan in the 70's after discovering WWWF Championship Wrestling on WOR from NY. During that period I remember watching the Valiants with Lou Albano, Superstar Billy Graham, Bruno, Ken Patera, and Backlund. I also remember seeing the Blackjacks, Bruno, Strongbow, Garea, DeNucci, and Johnny Rodz on TV too. I became really "hooked" after watching the Slaughter vs Patterson Alley Fight on USA Network with my Dad...after that I watched everything I could and my Dad began taking me to live shows at the Washington Avenue Armory in Albany. Our cable system was great back then and we received not only the local WRGB Channel 6 WWF broadcast, but WLVI 56 Boston & WSMW 27 from Worcester Mass, and WOR from NYC. Those shows, along with the MSG & Capital Center Shows on USA had my attention. It was all WWWF, as we didn't receive WTBS 17 on our system. The greatest part of the WWWF was the local interviews with Albano, Blassie and the Wizard!! Muraco became my all time favorite after watching his interview for a upcoming Boston Garden cage match vs Backlund, just a great time to become a fan. I bought every Wrestling magazine I could find at the local news room which I still have to this day in my basement. When my family would go on vacation I would always ask my mom to buy the TV Guide so I could find the local wrestling. I remember watching Championship Wrestling from Florida with Dusty Rhodes when we went to Disney World, and each summer we would go to Wildwood New Jersey and wrestling would be on PRISM Channel from Philly. Back in the 70's and early 80's Gorilla Monsoon would promote the weekly shows at the Wildwood Convention Hall on the Boardwalk. There I met Monsoon during the day on the Boardwalk as he sold tickets for that evenings card. I remember seeing Garea, Muraco, The Samoans, Jimmy Snuka, Putski and Mr. Fuji walking on the Boardwalk. Those shows in Wildwood were FUN!! My first exposure to non WWWF was Southwest Championship Wrestling on USA network, after that point Vince began the invasion and I was able to see Pro Wrestling USA, NWA Mid Atlantic, World Class and AWA on ESPN. I stayed a fan all through high school and eventually becoming a subscriber to the Observer after finding Meltzer's address in Wrestling Eye Magazine in the spring of 1986. I began tape trading through the Observer fan page and started seeing everything from everywhere including Japan. I could not believe what I was watching when I saw Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask 2 of 3 falls, nothing I had seen before would even compare. I've been an Observer subscriber for 27 years. After college I moved to Florida and lived there through the late 80's & 90's where I saw my first live NWA show in Daytona with Dusty vs. Flair. I went to as many indy shows as I could and had the chance on several occasions to see the matches at the famous Tampa Sportatorium, however at this point the building where Championship Wrestling from Florida was filmed now housed indy shows featuring Jimmy Backlund, The Cuban, Frankie Lancaster, Lou Perez, and the biggest name Dick Slater. During this period I watched NWA/WCW and WWF, while getting tapes of Smoke Mountain and ECW. Eventually we got ECW on Sunshine Network, and I attended many of the Florida ECW shows. Eventually moving back to NY in 1997, I continued to watch, however not as religiously and was never a fan of Nitro and WCW during the Monday Night Wars. I do watch RAW more often than not (on HULU) and only buy two PPV's a year, Wrestlemania & Royal Rumble. My time is consumed, rightfully so, with my two children, my wife and work! However, I make time to watch old wrestling on YouTube and currently I'm enjoying the Portland Buddy Rose Tapes. I do really enjoy listening to Podcasts when traveling in the car for work. That's my story.... Favorite Matches - No rhyme or reason... Slaughter Patterson Alley Fight Sheik & Abdullah vs. The Funks AJPW Windham vs Flair Florida Battle of the Belts Orlando Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask Sayama - NJPW Two of Three Falls Choshu & Yatsu vs Tsuruta & Tenryu - AJPW Match where Choshu has broken ribs Backlund vs Patera MSG Texas Death Idol vs Lawler - Hair Match Memphis Adonis vs Backlund MSG DeNucci & Victor Rivera vs. Blackjacks - WWWF TV Killer Kahn vs Terry Gordy - Reunion Arena bloody bath

#44 shoe

• Moderators
  • 9130 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

Welcome to the board Muraco fan. Hope you enjoy the board. Plus thanks for giving Titans of Wrestling a listen .

#45 kayfabe1984

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Hi everyone. Adam here and I'm from Cincinnati. Been a fan since the fall of 1995 when I stumbled upon Monday Night Raw on TV and saw Avatar of all people coming to the ring. I've been hooked ever since. I heard about this board from a fellow board member and decided to join up.

#46 ajsmith_7

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hey guys, my names AJ, I'm 26 and I live just outside London, England. My earliest wrestling memory is flicking through channels and seeing Doink the Clown vs Lex Luger, I can't remember exactly when this was but I'm guessing around 93/94 when I was 6/7 years old and I was instantly hooked by the characters. From there it was WWF all the way, the first PPV's I vividly remember staying up and watching were the '96 Royal Rumble and WM12 (I can't explain to you how excited 9 year old me was by the return of the Ultimate Warrior). Even at that young age I was always fascinated by the past and wanted to know everything about the older wrestlers of the 80's, all my bday and xmas presents were always old WWF VHS tapes of the past, that was always much more exciting to me than what was going on presently. My favourite was WM8 that I watched over and over, Flair/Savage is still one of my favourite matches of all time. I was a teenager during the attitude era and had also branched into WCW and a bit of ECW by this point, always looking to seek out new promotions and new wrestlers. Then around 2004 whilst browsing on Kazaa or Limewire for old NWA matches I came across a file called 'ROH: American Dragon vs Low Ki vs Christopher Daniels', I had no idea what ROH was or who any of the wrestlers involved were but I downloaded it and watched 3 guys I'd never seen before wrestle the most incredible and innovative match I'd ever seen in a high school gym infront of a few hundred people and I was instantly hooked! I didn't watch WWE again until 2010 and became a huge ROH and indy wrestling mark. Nowadays I mainly watch my wrestling on YouTube, got massively into puro 2-3 years ago and am trying to watch as much of that as possible, mainly using this forum to find out the best matches. I haven't watched ROH since 2009 though I still try to keep up with whats going on. I follow WWE again on and off mainly to see how my old faves Punk, Bryan, Claudio etc are getting on although I mostly dislike the current product a great deal. So that's me, nice to meet you all...

#47 y2stump

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

Hey everybody I'm new to the forum (obviously), I'm Paul from New York. I'm 33 & have been watching wrestling since 85. I was lucky to get into it as Mania 1 was ramping up. I've been a steady watcher ever since. WCW/NWA was my go to promotion & my love for it prompted me to start a WCW podcast. I grew bored with the current product, thought it would be fun to go back & start WCW from the 1st Nitro and it's been an absolute blast. Thanks for having me here!

#48 Cornette

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hi guys. Name is Ben. New to the forum. I'm 31 and have been a fan since about 87. Remember being in the barbershop and the barber had a signed pic of Sammartino and always had wrestling on the tv.First real memory was of Andre ripping off HOgans chain. Also remember my parents taking my brother and me to the video store and renting old Coliseum videos and getting to buy issues of Inside Wrestling and PWI. was mainly a WWF fan but still watched WCW. I'm interested in watching and learning about as much as I can and this sight has been a huge help. Also see that people keep talking about sets and projects and I would be extremely interested in buying any of these if anyone could provide any info on that it would be great. My favorite matches are Bret Hart vs Bulldog at summers lam 92. Hart vs Austin WM 13. Blanchard vs magnum I quit match and any of the original war games matches. Favorite wrestlers are Hart, Austin, Blanchard, Flair and Gordy.

#49 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10648 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

DeNucci & Victor Rivera vs. Blackjacks - WWWF TV

I've never heard this one talked up before.

Is it worth tracking down?

#50 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2959 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yeah. It's one of most surprising wild brawls I've ever stumbled upon. But that's how DeNucci rolled.

#51 Troyvang

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hi everyone, Troy here. I've been on here for a couple weeks but will now officially introduce myself. I'm 26 years old, but my 27th is next week. I'm from Minnesota, small town born and raised and even though I spent a couple years in the suburbs I moved to a different little town where I teach middle school social studies. My wrestling fandom comes from my parents, and my first memories of wrestling were of really late days AWA (trooper, destruction crew, Greg Gagne), but my parents regaled me with stories of Bock, Mad Dog and the Crusher. From then on, wrestling was a big part growing up for me, with my Hulk Hogan wrestling buddy still holding a place as my best Christmas present. After AWA finally keeled over I started watching a lot more WCW and that was my main promotion growing up because we didn't have cable and Worldwide was always on channel 9 and it seemed like WWF came and went. During the mid 90s I fell off a little bit, but when we got a Dish in 98, my fandom really picked up as I was finally able to watch Raw and Nitro. That held pretty strong up until the time I graduated high school. As time has passed since then, I haven't watched a ton of current product, but usually keep current by reading reports and message boards and over the past 3 or 4 years I've become very interested in older wrestling and that's really what brought me here. As for what I'm into, I've always been most interested in big personalities and guys that are good on interviews. So Flair, Michaels and others have always been up there for me. Additionally though, I've also always liked the wrestlecrap side of things as well and if I can have a good laugh at something I'll most likely enjoy it. I look forward to further exploring the site and also more awesome old wrestling!

#52 garretta

• Members
  • 3565 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

I'd already made my first post here before I knew that an introductory post is customary, but here goes. My name is Garrett Garlits. I got into wrestling full-time in the summer of 1986 at the age of 11. I was mostly into the WWF, although I saw some other promotions here and there. My "real-time" fandom ended right after WrestleMania VII, mostly because Vince started pricing his pay-per-views beyond my parents' willingness to pay. I saw a little here and there over the next several years, not liking a whole lot of it. I began to collect old footage when I found some reasonably priced WWE "old-school" DVDs about five or six years ago, then discovered comps by Will and others, which were much more my cup of tea. Through the DVDVR 80s sets, I've learned a great deal about places like Memphis, Mid-South, World Class, and the AWA. I've also dabbled in Japanese and lucha, with mixed results. (I got into All-Japan and New Japan, but lucha and I just don't get along even though I respect the wrestlers as athletes, and shoot-style flat out bores me.) I'm not into the modern product at all, though I do enjoy reading about the odd backstage trainwreck here and there. I've enjoyed the variety of different viewpoints on this board as a lurker, and I hope to contribute to the discussions as a member, particularly when the subject is the 70s and 80s. I might also dabble in the armchair booking thread from time to time; I've done some stuff in that vein over at Kayfabe Memories, using the WrestleCrap "Rewriting the Book" scenarios as my starting point for my own original ideas. There are a few of those that I'd like another crack at now that I'm more experienced at doing that kind of thing, and this board seems like it would be ideal for that. Happy to be here!

#53 Downend2005

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Hey guys, my name is Ricky, I'm 29 and I live in Bristol, England. I've been a fan since 1991, I heard some kids at school talking about wrestling and one of them lent me Summerslam 1991 that they had taped. The show has always been one of my personal favourites. From then I watched religiously up until the early 2000s. I've never stopped watching completely, but I don't tend to watch the current scene as much, although I do try and keep myself up to speed with what's going on. I'll seek out a match if it's been pimped or if it involves people I find interesting. At the moment, I enjoy watching Antonio Cesaro, William regal, Sami zayn, the shield and the Rhodes brothers. My all time favourite wrestler is Bret Hart. I've been a long time lurker of the board and I've enjoyed reading the discussion, and I've found a lot of recommendations to watch and broadened my horizons, so thank you! I look forward to being able to continue to read, learn and getting involved! Cheers Ricky

#54 brianfnpillman

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hi guys! My name is D.C., I am 40+ and have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area my entire life. My earliest wrestling memories are of watching Big Time Wrestling out of San Francisco. I was able to watch some future stars early in their careers like Muraco, Piper, Snuka & Kevin Sullivan. My favorite as a kid was Moondog Mayne. I spent my teenage years as a NWA fan, I watched WWF, and AWA but wanted no part of Hulkamania. I discovered the Observer in 1990 and it really did change my life. I thought I was a huge wrestling fan before that, but the Observer took me to a whole different level by introducing me to the behind the scenes info along with Japanese wrestling and tape trading. As far as todays product is concerned, well, I think as fans we need to make the best out of what is available to us. There is still good stuff that we can all enjoy, there just isn't as much of it right now. Hopefully that will change sooner than later.

#55 909

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'm 26, grew up watching the WWF. First show I watched was Royal Rumble 1994. For some reason, that awful Taker/Yoko casket match hooked me in. After that, I rented a few Coliseum Videos from the movie store, and it stuck. I ran their copy of Invasion 92 into the ground. Despite that, I still go on and off in terms of watching the current product, which it seems like a lot of people do. Perhaps oddly enough, I prefer Southern style wrestling.

#56 goodhelmet

• Admins
  • 18957 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

Nothing odd about enjoying southern pro wrestling.

#57 909

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Nothing odd about enjoying southern pro wrestling.

No, not at all, but after starting with that cartoony 94-95 WWF product, the two are quite contrasting. I guess it's part of growing up.

#58 909

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

Double post

#59 slackermillionaire

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

Hello everyone, I'm Chris, 24 years old, Brisbane Australia. I have been a WWE since 1999. Because of my age and location I grew up watching very little wrestling outside of the WWE but I have been lurking around message boards since I was 13, found DVDVR in 2005 and while I am not a big poster (it is one of my goals of 2014 to post more at boards I lurk at, hence this introduction), I have found growing up reading message boards has given me a very strange education into the world of pro wrestling. I have seen very little Crockett for example (only what the WWE has put out on DVD) but I can recall matches and angles I have read about but never seen. My wrestling fandom waned heavily between 2005 -2010 due to multiple reasons: growing up, started going to parties, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit's passing and moving to College where it was hard to view wrestling week in week out, but I always remained update by reading the boards and watching shows when I could. I got back to watching current WWE in 2010 where I had access again to it. I find I tend to be more positive about the current product than most, I think enduring RAW 2002/3 at a young age (my home didn't get the channel Smackdown was on until late 2003) has conditioned me for much worse things than watching 10+ minute Daniel Bryan matches and awesome Goldust tags every week (funnily Goldust tags are one of the few fond memories I have Raw 2002/3). I stumbled across this board after listening to the Wrestling Culture podcast (but I am certain I lurked around NMB a couple of times). I think after listening to Dylan talk about how great Mark Henry is and how John Cena is perhaps the big match wrestler in WWE, I was certain this would be a great place to find stimulating and intelligent discussion. I came to this board knowing full well that most on here have seen more wrestling than I will in my entire lifetime but that is why this place has became one of my favorite pro wrestling destinations on the web. When I do watch stuff outside of the current WWE it is mainly just a few ROH and PWG shows a year just to get some sense of the faces on the indie scene. But this year I plan to expand my viewing habits, I am really excited for the WWE Network so I can check out WCW 1989 and 1992 for the first time and in top quality picture too boot.

#60 JAC

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'm James, 34 years old, from Halifax, Nova Scotia. I've been lurking for a few years, and figured that I ought to finally contribute something. I started watching wrestling on a regular basis around the beginning of 1989, after my dad received "press passes" (i.e., standing room only passes) to a WWF house show headlined by Randy Savage v. The Ultimate Warrior. I got into wrestling in a big way, watching WWF religiously for a few years, and watching WCW whenever I could find it on TV (it was not on as consistently as the WWF). I even got some exposure to Japan through some VHS rentals (The World Pro Wrestling from Japan tape with commentary by Gordon Solie, and the two poorly done AJW dubs, Riot of the Rising Sun and the dubiously named Slant Eyed Slaughter).

After my interest waned by 1993, bounced back from 1996-1999, then waned again when I began to realize that the matches had become unsatisfying to watch. It was then that, having recalled that the little bit of Japanese wrestling that I had seen had been decent, I decide to buy some tapes and see what it was all about. I ended up enjoying some Joshi and becoming a big fan of All Japan. In particular, I've really enjoyed the mid-70's stuff I've seen and the late 80's to mid 90's All Japan. I've also dabbled in a bit of shootstyle from the UWF/UWFI and some 90's New Japan--moreso the heavies than the juniors.

School and work limited my time for wrestling during much of the past decade, and I didn't care much for the WWE during the aughts, but I've been enjoying a decent amount of WWE (with the aid of a DVR to fast-forward through the mountains of crap) for the last two years or so. I've also been revisiting the old puroresu and enjoying that tremendously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users