Pro Wrestling Only

Bob Backlund

Superstar Sleeze

Besides Savage, Backlund is my favorite 80s WWF performer and it seems that jdw has already done a pretty good exploring him, which only makes my exploration of him that much more enjoyable. Even in my formative years as a fan, reading about the '94 Backlund angle intrigued me as it was the story of a man who snapped because he had hit rock bottom and there is nothing more dangerous than a man who just doesn't give a fuck anymore.

However, it has only been recently that I have actually watched Backlund's work from his prime. I like grappling and chain wrestling a lot and that is what I figured I would get with Mr. Backlund, but I have found him to be pretty much in the mold of most territorial stars of the 80s. Yes, he works holds more than most, I would say, but he had just as many blood feuds and was really able to get violent when called upon. I like that too and have enjoyed many a Backlund match. Personally, my favorite aspect of Backlund's work is definitely his offense. In the beginning of the match, I dig his goofy headlock and think his arm work is usually well done. Then during his comeback, he brings the fire in a way that most WWF babyfaces lack. It felt like he was fighting through something rather than turning something off. I don't think I have all of Backlund mannerisms and tendencies down yet so that I can create a narrative for him, but I will say that I definitely think he is an very good pro wrestler.

One last thing does anyone else think that Backlund's posture is wicked awkward. He leans way too far forward and sticks his ass way out as if he was doing a permanent Jeff Bagwell imitation.

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs The Masked Superstar 10/1983 MSG

So Eadie crippled poor Eddie Gilbert with a swinging neckbreaker on the floor and Bob is out for revenge! Superstar claims towards the beginning that Backlund pulled his mask on a head scissors, which makes me laugh. Backlund works the opening holds really well targeting the arm to setup for the crossface chickenwing. What I love about 80s wrestling is how much a punch to the head meant. One cheapshot from Superstar sends Backlund careening to the outside and is a real momentum changer. It is a perfect way for a heel to get heat because he couldnt compete fairly all he does ball up his fist and crack the guy. Backlund's selling is his weak point for me. It is decent and all. It is just not evocative.

Superstar's torpedo, flying headbutt is a really nifty move. He misses it a second time due to fundamental laws of wrestling. Big roar from MSG for the crossface chickenwing attempt, but Superstar is too big. Superstar sneaks in a clothesline while the ref distracts Bob. Then he hits the dreaded swinging neckbreaker. He doesnt cover no, he wants to maim Backlund and delivers another one outside. Backlund messes up the angle by getting back up and chasing him off. That is a booking decision not a wrestler's I would guess so I dont hold it against him, but it dissipates a lot of the heat of the angle.

This was the last major angle of Backlund era before the loss to Sheiky Baby. I have to say it felt pretty flat to me. It was pedestrian work, which there is nothing wrong about that, but it wasn't anything excellent. I would at least be more excited about the rematch if Backlund really sold the neck angle.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Backlund vs The Masked Superstar 1/21/83 Philadelphia

So the MSG rematch is not up, unfortunately, but I figured I would watch this one. I like this match as the better of the two because of the dueling stories. They played up Backlund's injured shoulder (what caused his demise in the Sheik title defense) and Backlund's obsession with unmasking the Masked Superstar. Superstar did some good work, but a bit methodical. He did use the outside effectively. Backlund sure likes the headbutt to the gut as a transition move in his matches and it is as good as any. Superstar's flying headbutt (it is like a flying forearm) is something that should be ripped off. Backlund's obsession with unmasking the Masked Superstar played well into the finish of him getting carried away and losing by countout.

Overall, this series was decent, but there is definitely better Backlund work out there. As I understand Backlund better, I bet that this is something I would consider Backlund by the numbers.

What year is that from? I like the weirdness of those teams.

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs Sgt Slaughter 5/23/1983

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmj2w_bob...rt#.URhP3x19KSp

This is easily the best match of Backlund's 1983 campaign. It is not "drop everything you are doing and watch this" good, but if you got some time on your hands and you want to watch 80s WWF then this is a good match to watch. Amazingly, this is a very good match even though Backlund is on defense, which is not something I consider his strength so this match maybe more of a testament to Slaughter's ability.

Apparently, Slaughter beat Backlund with his Swagger Stick according to Gorilla Monsoon prior to this match. There aint nothing wrong with that in my book, but apparently Backlund took exception to that. I guess Slaughter didn't say surprise first.

So Backlund is all hot and bothered to start, which means we get what I love about Slaughter: bumping like a maniac for Bob. Slaughter's over the top turnbuckle bump is one of my favorites. Slaughter takes over off a clothesline. This was Backlund's best shine section yet. Transitions are very important to me and that one was kind of weak. Slaughter's control segment was way better than Superstar's or Muraco's. He had a good variety of moves and general roughhousing. I dont always need body part psychology, sometimes just a mean heel is good enough. I have always the double stomp to the gut, just a plain good heel move. Backlund timed his hope spots well. It really felt like a struggle rather than exhibition of moves.

There was a swinging neckbreaker and it wasn't sold like death, though this pre-dated the Masked Superstar angle. I was a bit bummed. :)

Is it just me or at 14:35 does someone scream "Howdy Doody, lets go!" ?

Slaughter busts out a dropkick, which surprises me and Gorilla. My favorite spot of this match is when Backlund deadweights Slaughter on a suplex attempt and Slaughter still is able to pick him up and hang him to dry on the top rope. It was an excellent struggle spot.

Having softened the mid-section, Sarge goes for the kill with a shoulder tackle into the corner only to eat the ringpost (excellent transition). Backlund zeroes in on the hurt shoulder with a Chickenwing Crossface, but as Slaughter makes it to the ropes, the dastardly Grand Wizard hands the Swagger Stick to Slaugher who hits in the head with it. The Swagger Stick turns out to be a riding crop, which makes way more sense, but I totally cribbing that as a new term in my friend circle.

Backlund gets a hold of the Swagger Stick and the crowd is whipped into a frenzy and he chases Slaughter out of the ring. I remember not liking their 1981 cage match all that much, but this was pretty damn fun. I will definitely be looking up more Backlund/Slaughter confrontations.

Backlund's one of my favorites, and I was kicking myself for forgetting him in the Top 10 US thread. He's good at doing stuff which usually shouldn't work: really long shine segments where he works an armbar forever, or his bizarro-world character, or the fact that Howdy Doody was a shockingly good grudge-brawler.

What year is that from? I like the weirdness of those teams.

1982 or thereabouts, iirc. The match itself is kinda disappointing, one of those meandering heavyweight matches between a bunch of office-protected guys who aren't ever allowed to look like they're in much serious danger. Lotsa rest holds and feeling-out processes. And despite being a tournament final for some kind of tag championship or special prize (the winners get trophies), it ends in a damn DQ or countout or some fuckin' thing like that.

But yeah, Slaughter rules too. Does he have a thread in here yet, and if not why not?

I like the 05/23/83 match with Slaughter.

I wrote up the 09/24/83 TDM between the two in Philly, thought it was solid for the most part though not up to the level of their 1981 Philly matches or the 05/23/83 match. I have the 08/13/83 and 10/22/83 Philly matches, the third match being the blow off Scicilian Stretcher Match. On the list of things to watch.

I liked the 02/18/83 MSG match with Muraco a good deal, thinking it was on par with their 1981 matches and one of the rare ones where Don wanted to work. Looking at my write up of the 03/20/83 MSG TDM between the two, it looks as though I enjoyed it a good deal more on that rewatch than I had when watching it years (or a decade) prior. Did not a poor five minute stretch of headlock work, but thought the rest was decent/solid/good.

I now have everything from 1983 in the US of his that's available. It's a bit of a dire run of opponents left to view:

John Studd (2 matches)

Bob Backlund & Andre & Jimmy Snuka vs. John Studd & Afa & Albano

Mike Sharpe

Sgt. Slaughter (2)

Afa

George Steele (2)

Iron Sheik

Slaughter is really the only "good" worker in there. Sheik in this era has struck me as an inconsistent mess, with his Slaughter matches bringing out the best in him, the shorter Hogan matches bringing focus, and the Backlund title change and Tito title defense being just horrid work on his part.

I did watch the Sharpe match last night, since it was probably one of the five most intriguing of the 80s Backlund matches that I got recently. It's... solid. Very basic, very solid, decent working of holds in a "filler" way, and Bob bringing the offense down the stretch. Sharpe flashed about as much offense as he did in squash matches, which is none other than clubbering. Basically works like a prelim heel, which is one of the things that intrigued me about the potential of the match: prelim heels work holds to fill space, jaw the crowd, and sell for the faces. They don't it as well as quality top heels, but some of them can do it solid. That's pretty much Sharpe here. Of course Bob can work headlock and head scissors segments, so it's easy for him to go back and forth with Sharpe. Interesting match, one one level a throwaway since it was nothing big, but I found it watch able. More solid than some of his bigger profile opponents later in the year.

Of course not at the level of the 02/18/83 Muraco and 05/23/83 Slaughter matches, which are Backlund set worthy if we'd watched them back then.

John

I've seen Sharpe labeled as "mis-used" by WWF from time to time and I just want to say after seeing him have a run in Memphis, he was used right at his talent level. The guy wasn't very good. Watching him and Jimmy Valiant have a long match from the Mid-South Coliseum was a real chore.

He was a solid prelim guy. Give him 10 minutes, and he'll fill it.

The Backlund-Sharpe went 19. I didn't find it a chore, but don't doubt others would, especially folks who are tired of seeing headlocks in Backlund matches (though lord knows they're in a hundred Flair matches that are available). It is a largely pedestrian match, but I remain interested in contrasting how people work holds in the era, say Muraco when someone can't push him to work it vs Bob in there with a prelimer like Sharpe who must work it in 50% of his matches in a year as a centerpiece. :)

The other thing about the match that stood out in the match is that it reminded me how much I hate Gorilla on the mic. This was several shows into Gorilla joining the Spectrum booth to break up my all-time favorite "so campy they're awesome" announcing crew of the era: Dick Graham & Kal Rudman a/k/a The Dick & Kal Show. There are two prime examples in the match where Gorilla is whipping out his "I'm smarter than this" cock to shit on the match with a "that won't beat his / never wins matches" that is just fucking annoying. He also doesn't bring any of the enthusiasm or enjoyment to the mic that Kal does, which makes his color commentary painful as all shit. I'll rip the fuck out if it more when I get around to re-watching it and writing it up. God to I hate Monsoon on the mic, and he just ruins what was a golden era of WWF match calling by Vince in MSG and Dick & Kal in Philly.

John

I've seen Sharpe labeled as "mis-used" by WWF from time to time and I just want to say after seeing him have a run in Memphis, he was used right at his talent level. The guy wasn't very good. Watching him and Jimmy Valiant have a long match from the Mid-South Coliseum was a real chore.

Mike Sharpe has been one of the worst wrestlers when viewing the 80s. Just unbearable.

John, I believe there was a Backlund title defense at MSG against Ivan Koloff from April 1983, did you see that? I saw there was a Koloff/Backlund match up on youtube, but it can't be from 1983 given Bob's hair length.

I watched the '84 Backlund/Valentine match that went to a finish for the second time and holy shit it is good. I will do a better write up later, but I loved it. I watched Backlund/Patera Texas Death Match for probably 3rd or 4th time and I liked a lot, but not as much as usual, but it blows the '83 Texas Death Match w/Muraco out of the water. Backlund hits one of the prettiest lookin' piledrivers I have ever seen. He spiked him real good and it was none of this weak-ass sit down gently shit.

I can't find any of the high-end Backlund stuff up in full with Valentine '79, Muraco '81, Adonis '82, or Rose '82 (will have to wait for the WWF set ;) ). Plus I still have to watch Backlund/Harley from '80, but so far I have to say I enjoyed the '84 Valentine just a hair more than '80 Patera TDM, but it is essentially first among equals.

John, I believe there was a Backlund title defense at MSG against Ivan Koloff from April 1983, did you see that? I saw there was a Koloff/Backlund match up on youtube, but it can't be from 1983 given Bob's hair length.

The 04/25/83 MSG match isn't available as far as I know. The 06/04/83 Spectrum match is available, and is poor.

Their 08/28/78 MSG match is available, and I thought good though it's a pretty basic match. The 09/25/78 MSG rematch isn't available, nor any of their trilogy in Philly from 12/78 - 2/79 (would really like to see the cage match blow off).

I watched the '84 Backlund/Valentine match that went to a finish for the second time and holy shit it is good. I will do a better write up later, but I loved it.

I enjoyed that one. It's 20 minutes, so it takes its time getting going, but it turns into a fun match.

I watched Backlund/Patera Texas Death Match for probably 3rd or 4th time and I liked a lot, but not as much as usual, but it blows the '83 Texas Death Match w/Muraco out of the water. Backlund hits one of the prettiest lookin' piledrivers I have ever seen. He spiked him real good and it was none of this weak-ass sit down gently shit.

I'm a big fan of that match.

I can't find any of the high-end Backlund stuff up in full with Valentine '79, Muraco '81, Adonis '82, or Rose '82 (will have to wait for the WWF set ;) ).

I'm a big fan of the 1981 Philly trio with Slaughter, just flat out love the cage match.

I like the matches in Japan against Dusty (05/27/80) and Stan (09/30/80) a heck of a lot. The first match in MSG with Stan (02/16/81) is quite fun.

The second 60:00 draw with Inoki (07/27/78) is one of the best 60:00 draws that I've ever seen, and one of my favorite matches of the 70s. It misses the clear heel-face element of the Bob-Greg draw, but the mat work to open is terrific, the bust out a lot of high end 70s style offense, and they break the match up across three falls which is a benefit that Bob-Greg doesn't have.

The 07/30/79 MSG match with Patterson is the only of the four available matches between the two that I like a good deal, though I might be in the minority in not caring for their 09/24/79 cage match.

Like the 01/21/80 feud opener with Patera: slow building 25+ minute match that shows how good Patera is to start that year, and how much the two are on the same page.

The 04/12/80 Philly match with Hogan is a gas to me, watching Hogan work holds and knowing what he's doing. Fun match.

04/16/80 Bob-Inoki in Florida is a load of fun to see them take the match out of their respective home courts and actually get the crowd into it with their work.

08/24/84 Bob-Choshu on the tour just after he left the WWF is surprisingly entertaining, given Choshu's rep for working with gaijin and the "on paper" vibe that the two won't mesh. This and Choshu's match in 1985 with Martel might be my favorite matches of his with gaijin.

All three Buddy Rose matches are worth watching. I'm really fond of the MSG one because the crowd loves it so much, and they have the time to stretch out. Buddy's great in it, but Bob is right there hitting his notes as well.

Plus I still have to watch Backlund/Harley from '80, but so far I have to say I enjoyed the '84 Valentine just a hair more than '80 Patera TDM, but it is essentially first among equals.

For the Harley match, think NWA Touring Champ coming into the WWF Territory to defend against the local hero Bob. That will put you in the mind set to not be surprised by how much Bob dominates. They do have a stretch after 15:30 in where they lost the crowd with the headlock, though they do reel them in when they pick it up for high spots before taking it back down. Once they end the headlock section, they have a one of the longer runs to the finish in a Bob match in that era.

Bob Backlund vs Greg Valentine MSG 1984

I thought the '84 match was incredibly intelligent. I didnt think it started out that slow. There was the Albano stalling, but almost immediately you have Valentine doing meaningful arm work. Valentine works over the infamous '83-'84 Backlund shoulder injury in a way that really builds drama and Backlund for his part keeps it entertaining by doing awesome spots like bridging out of a top wristlock.

When Valentine goes for a big bomb in the form of a second rope leg drop only to crash and burn causing Backlund to work over the leg in a refreshing change of pace. He was quite good at it and getting me involved in his own goofy Bob way especially when he just picks him up by the legs & tights and drops him. It just seems like such a Backlund move. He still wrings out his arm from time to time and it does prevent him doing a crossface.

I like how the next transition has Valentine tripping Backlund up and slamming his knee against the apron. It gets them where they want to go Valentine working over Backlund's knee in a smart, organic way. I always enjoy Valentine's leg work. Valentine busts out a Boston Crab and they do all the usual Figure-4 preventive escapes. Valentine even rips Backlund's pick him up by the leg and tights and drop him. I love symmetry in wrestling.

My favorite spot besides the setup for Valentine's leg work was when Backlund was so worn out that instead of hitting his patented atomic drop; he had to just drop back and deliver a back suplex. It takes so much out of Backlund that Valentine actually is able to lock in the figure-4, but gets greedy and uses the ropes in full view of the ref. Valentine thinks he wins (he likes these angles), but Backlund surprises him with a roll-up.

Love, love everything about this match. It has Valentine and Backlund so everything is tough and gritty on the mat. The match is wicked smart with Valentine beginning with what he knows is hurt. He tries to put Backlund away early, but crashes so Backlund takes advantage of an opening. Valentine, in heel fashion, powders and suckers Bob in and is able to wrap the knee around the apron to set up his bread and butter. From there, it is just two of the best working a great heat segment with well-timed hope spots and a finish that makes everyone look good (Valentine was to be a Hogan challenge). Call me crazy, but I would put this up there with anything from the WWF in the 1980s.

I fucking loved the crazed old man Backlund of 94/95. It was crazy to see someone as bland as he came off become such an awesome heel and cut such degrading douche bag promos. He could also still go in the ring and put on quite a few entertaining matches. The Bret matches are good and the Action Zone tag is very good. Not sure if anything else stand out from that time frame though i'd have to look it up

Count me in as a guy who likes Backlund. That wasn't always the case though. Though if you watch the footage you can't deny him being awesome. I loved the way he would work an arm. I'm not sure if their is anyone better. Take a look at the 1st Patterson match from MSG. That arm work is a thing of beauty. He was also adept at working other body parts , but his arm work stands out to me. One of my complaints with Backlund is consistency. He could have great matches with a variety of opponents. Then he could have a pretty ho hum match with same opponent. For example I have seen him have some excellent matches with Patera. I watched one with Patera from Philly with Monsoon as ref. That match was bad. Monsoon stealing the spotlight from the match. Still I think the good Backlund matches far out weigh the bad . Backlund is someone I'd rate highly in a top 100 poll.

Take a look at the 1st Patterson match from MSG. That arm work is a thing of beauty.

First match, or first available match?

07/02/79 MSG

WWF North American Champion Pat Patterson defeated WWF World Champion Bob Backlund when the match was stopped due to excessive blood loss from the champion at 15:21

I don't think that one is available. Has it bubbled up somewhere? PM?

These three are:

07/30/79 MSG

WWF World Champion Bob Backlund (w/ Arnold Skaaland) fought WWF North American Champion Pat Patterson to a double standing count-out at 28:22 when, after Patterson hit Backlund with brass knuckles, Skaaland climbed on the ring apron and hit Patterson with the title belt

08/27/79 MSG

WWF IC Champion Pat Patterson defeated WWF World Champion Bob Backlund via count-out at 14:29 after Patterson used brass knuckles while the referee was knocked out and then beat Backlund back inside the ring; prior to the bout, Patterson was escorted to the ring by the Grand Wizard while Arnold Skaaland escorted Backlund

09/24/79 MSG

WWF World Champion Bob Backlund (w/ Arnold Skaaland) defeated WWF IC Champion Pat Patterson in a steel cage match at 16:43 by kicking Patterson off him and escaping through the door

I've seen the 7/30/79 and the cage match. The 8/27/79 is one that I just came across recently, but haven't watched yet.

Both Spectrum matches are available... watched them ages ago on Frank's old Backlund & More tape.

The 8/27/79 is solid and looks to be building to another good match between the 2 then they go to the finish. It was a good comp to the match a month earlier because in this bout Backlund is working the leg. I thought that was cool because the month prior you had Patterson work Backlund's leg and Backlund did a nice job selling it.

WWE.com had the entirety of Hogan vs Backlund up from 4/12/80 Philly and I just had to watch.

JR and Lawler are on commentary. Was there originally no commentary? Lawler lets us know that Hogan had some pretty gnarly back hair back in his day and because he thought it was unsightly would shave it. Lawler credits Hogan with starting this trend in wrestling.

WWF Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund vs Hulk Hogan - 4/12/80 Philly

One of the best tit for tat matches, I have ever seen. Backlund seemingly has a chip on his shoulder just as much as the challenger because wants to prove that even though Hogan is bigger anything that Hogan can do Backlund can do better. Hogan does a bodyslam/elbow drop combination then not to be outdone Backlund does one. Hogan picks up Backlund out of a headlock onto the top turnbuckle and almost slaps him, well Backlund doesnt forget and 10 minutes later in the match Backlund picks Hogan up out of a short arm scissors and places him on the top and slaps him. They trade vertical suplexes late and finally they trade airplane spins late, but Bob's ego is his demise. As he is trying to prove himself, Backlund loses sight of where he is and does an airplane spin on the floor, which leads to him getting counted out. Couple this with incredible opening 10 minute stretch of Backlund out-wrestling and using his quickness to stymie and frustrate Hogan and you have me asking: Best Hogan Match Ever? I think Flair BatB '94 and Vader SB V are the only ones that can compete, but I haven't watched the Bockwinkel matches in forever.

I expected the out-wrestling and the utilization of Backlund's quickness in a battle of Hogan's might. However, what really put this match over the top for me was the wrinkle of Bob trying to replicate everything Hogan could do. In the end, this showing of pride robbed him of winning the match. I think the action was better in the '84 Valentine match, but this was the best story I have seen so far out of Bob.

Backlund picks Hogan up out of a short arm scissors and places him on the top

This is one of my all-time favorite power spots. Hogan has like a hundred pounds on Bob, at least. It's done from an awkward position, where Bob is bent way over and doesn't have any good leverage. And Backlund does the lift so slowly, showing off Bob's crazy level of control and balance. I've seen Benoit and Malenko do this exact same spot, and those guys were straining and grasping and the guy being lifted was doing half the work and they tried to get it over with as quickly as possible; Backlund simply stoops over and then slow-motion deadlifts Hulk Goddamn Hogan up to his shoulders, and then walks from the middle of the ring to the corner. A truly unbelievable feat of strength; it's not just Hogan's three hundred pounds, it's also picking him up in a deliberately difficult way.

Bob Backlund vs. Greg Valentine 10/19/81

This is the bout where the title was held up. The work in the bout was really stiff looking. Nothing outrageous, but everything looked good and snug and made sense. First off the announcing really put over the Figure 4 as death. Also Backlund sold the Figure 4 as a match ender. Both guys laid it in on each other. Valentine went after the leg with some nice work. Valentine sprinkled in some of his signature bumps to pop the crowd. Their was a cool adominal stretch reversal where 1st Valentine had Backlund. Backlund then reversed it. While Valentine was trapped in it he was hitting Backlund's knee to escape. On Valentine's 1st attempt at the Fig. 4 Backlund immediately goes to his stomach so Hammer basically has him in an ankle lock and Valentine just kicks him in the stomach. That was awesome. The guys also have these 2 series of forearm exchanges that are God like in the intensity. I lost my shit in the 2nd batch of them and an curious what everyone else thinks.

Now I don't want everyone to think it is all about Valentine because Backlund was pretty great. He was great working revenge spots on Valentine's leg. He brought the intensity too and thought his forearms looked even more painful than the Hammers which the whole spot was designed for , but if Backlund wasn't up for the challenge the spot would have failed. Backlund's escaping of the Fig. 4 was great, and really established the Fig. 4 as a match ender. Finally, Backlund's selling of his knee injury was great. He even collapsed at times because the knee couldn't handle the weight.

High End Nomination.

WWE.com had the entirety of Hogan vs Backlund up from 4/12/80 Philly and I just had to watch.

JR and Lawler are on commentary. Was there originally no commentary? Lawler lets us know that Hogan had some pretty gnarly back hair back in his day and because he thought it was unsightly would shave it. Lawler credits Hogan with starting this trend in wrestling.

Phill's legendary "so campy they're great" combo of Dick Graham and Kal Rudman. Whenever watching any Philly match prior to Gorilla taking over Kal's spot at the table, you always need to track down the original broadcast version if it's available. Much like tracking down the MSG ones where Vince called the matches solo. Vince was a terrific pbp man back then, and the Dick & Kal Show was just campy greatness. :)

On the match, I've always liked it a good deal. Storyline is simply but effective. I also like that Hogan knows how to hold up his end of the bargain on pretty much all the working of holds. Was very surprised by how he knew his stuff.

John

Bob Backlund vs. Greg Valentine 10/19/81

Strange... I know I've watched this match, and liked it... but don't seem to be able to find a write up. Do find the one for the rematch, which I liked a good amount.

I also have the two Philly matches, finally getting the full version of the cage match.

John

Mike Sharpe has been one of the worst wrestlers when viewing the 80s. Just unbearable.

Okay, listen...that is Canada's Greatest Athlete you're talking about. Show some respect. The man had a serious forearm injury, you can't expect all his matches to have been 5 star classics.

Which is kind of funny, since his match with Backlund is solid and watchable. Not great, but better than the Backlund-Ivan match from 1983... and I happened to like Ivan as a worker.

John