Pro Wrestling Only

Guys who got away with being bad

goc

already mentinioned but my first thought was Bobo Brazil.

and yes I would like to find out if George Steele ever had a good/great match

On Hall I remember him mentioning that his matches were formulaic because he listened to the crowd and if they popped for a certain spot he kept it in his repertoire and if they didn't react he ditched it. He had a very simple philosophy on working, do your crowd pleasing spots and have a clean finish and the fans will come back for more

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Hall I remember him mentioning that his matches were formulaic because he listened to the crowd and if they popped for a certain spot he kept it in his repertoire and if they didn't react he ditched it. He had a very simple philosophy on working, do your crowd pleasing spots and have a clean finish and the fans will come back for more

And that sounds like a pretty smart worker to me.

I haven't watched WCW 96/97 in years, so no, I don't have a list of matches in mind (plus I really don't keep records anymore). I'm not saying he was having excellent matches weekly in WCW, he was *fun* and *solid* at best, but he sure wasn't a bad worker like say, Curt Hennig was in 1998. Of course probably none of his matches there would make a top 100 WCW list. Neither would any Disco Inferno match. Doesn't mean that Disco was bad.

Disco actually had a pretty damn good match with Juvi at Halloween Havoc i believe it was.

You can't compare the mid 80's "good guy" George Steele to the 70's George Steele who took great bumps and

was a riot inducing maniac in the and out of the ring.

He was a great gimmick brawler and a true powerhouse.

Is there any footage online of the "gimmick brawler and true powerhouse" 70s version of Steele that you would recommend? Sounds intriguing.

Disco actually had a pretty damn good match with Juvi at Halloween Havoc i believe it was.

Yep. Probably his best performance ever. I like Disco quite a bit.

Yea me too, especially when he was working with smaller guys. I think he had a pretty good match with Malenko as well. I always thought of Disco as one of my guilty pleasures but the more i saw of him the more i realized he's actually a pretty solid worker. I'll stick with Sid as my guilty pleasure

Was Blackjack Mulligan ever good?

If he was, Will wants to know about it!

I asked that question here before as well and there was someone who came to his defense saying he was better in the 70s. But man is Mulligan one of the worst "name" guys I've seen from the 80s. Has some of the worst punches I have ever seen, looks like he gets blown up about 90 seconds into a match and works extremely light for a guy whose character is supposed to be so tough. Good promo though.

Is it ok for me to admit that I was not bothered by Mulligan in the tag match on the AWA set? He is clearly the 4th worst guy but his performance in that match was just as good as a couple of Mad Dog performances and was serviceable. I also re-watched that match solo last night and think it is still fun as hell and really good overall.

Mulligan pissed me off in that tag because Lawler spends forever getting beat on, finally makes the hot tag, Mulligan comes in hits probably his entire offensive arsenal and then tags back out in like 90 seconds or less. Plus he was partnering with Lawler which only made his shitty punches look even worse in comparison.

You can't compare the mid 80's "good guy" George Steele to the 70's George Steele who took great bumps and

was a riot inducing maniac in the and out of the ring.

He was a great gimmick brawler and a true powerhouse.

Is there any footage online of the "gimmick brawler and true powerhouse" 70s version of Steele that you would recommend? Sounds intriguing.

There have been some 70's Steele bouts released on ClassicsonDemand on some of their older MSG shows. 6/30/73 I think was Steele vs. Morales.

Steele was thought of far, far differently in the 70's as far as a WWWF heel, as Steven says. He still retained some of the cartoonish arm-waving at certain points of a match, but he was overall presented like a real monster heel.

Has anyone mentioned Billy Gunn?

Depends on how you define "got away with". Gunn was still trying pretty hard back in 97 and 98, which corresponds to the top of his popularity. Once they tried to push him as a singles heel with a buttocks-based gimmick, at the precise moment that his in-ring skills began to stink, the crowd quickly regarded him with channel-changing heat.

EDIT: maybe we should narrow down the parameters of this thread? The original post:

I wanted to start a thread about guys who had lengthy careers (at least 10 years) and had consistent runs at or near the top of the card who consensus says was outright bad. I want to leave out someone like Bruiser Brody from the discussion, and focus on guys who even at the time were thought of to be bad by people in the business.

Some of the posts have devolved into simply naming guys we don't like.