Pro Wrestling Only

Guys who got away with being bad

goc

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is pretty clearly Bob Brown. There's no evidence he was ever any good, or a draw (he homesteaded the worst money territory in the business), or any kind of positive influence on anything, and when his best friend's territory out of Kansas City shut down, he somehow rode Kerry Brown's coat tails into regular work in Canada in the late '80s-early '90s in territories he had no history in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Trish got a lot of goodwill because she was working very hard to improve. Also, the female division had been awful for years, so she actually seemed decent compared to what had come before. For about three years women's matches consisted of nothing more than hair pulling, rudimentary offence, Lawler screaming CAT FIGHT and PUPPIES and then a roll up pin after a couple of minutes.

The Crusher was a huge draw for the AWA, but by the time 1981 hit he was mostly lousy in the ring given his advanced age and lack of mobility.

He had a compelling series in late 1979-early 1980 with Bockwinkel, but after that, not much in-ring goodness to justify the mind-numbing pops he used to get wherever he wrestled right up into 1984-85.

Anything less than a full-out brawl that he was involved with mostly wasn't good.

Anyone who says Muraco has no clue. He sucked once he became the Rock but he was one the best heels ever and he had a ton of classic matches in the WWF (esp. during his I-C reigns).

Most of the people who say Muraco have seen a ton of Muraco. I don't have a huge opinion on the matter, except for the fact I wish we had more of his Florida stuff. I really liked what i saw of him just beating the snot out of a super young Barry Windham. But yeah, people, when they're arguing, aren't arguing from a point of ignorance.

Anyone who says Muraco has no clue. He sucked once he became the Rock but he was one the best heels ever and he had a ton of classic matches in the WWF (esp. during his I-C reigns).

Most of the people who say Muraco have seen a ton of Muraco. I don't have a huge opinion on the matter, except for the fact I wish we had more of his Florida stuff. I really liked what i saw of him just beating the snot out of a super young Barry Windham. But yeah, people, when they're arguing, aren't arguing from a point of ignorance.

I changed my post because I realized how aggressive sounding it was. Not trying to pick a fight or question anyone's intelligence. You have to understand he's one of my favorite wrestlers ever so I overreacted slightly. His I-C run in 1983-84 is one my favorite title reigns ever.

I would argue Trish Stratus was actually a very good worker overall if you apply the criteria of WWE woman's wrestlers in her era as a fair judgment. She wasn't a spectacular worker but could do a decent to very good match more often that not, evolved from a god awful promo to a very good one and played her part well. I would say she was the best heel in WWE in 2004.

The thing I never liked about having heel women involved in men's angles like Trish Stratus turning on Chris Jericho is you run the very real danger of cultivating misogynistic feelings from your primary audience (men). Who sits there going "Grr I wish Lita came down to the ring and moonsaults Trish out of her boots!"? My guess is the typical male fan is rooting for Jericho to come down there and slap the taste out of her mouth or something. I enjoyed the angle from the beginning where Jericho and Trish had that budding romance, and I did like the idea of the heel turn but they never protected the storyline by installing the inherent layers of women for Trish to play off so the fans could effectively channel their desires at. Woman vs woman works just fine for me. Give me Gail Kim vs Awesome Kong and all that. Woman vs man? That gets dicey and once they go in that direction, I usually have to remove myself from it.

Agree with that slasher. There needs to be a female to step up to match the heel valet, much like Elizabeth did. Plus that story just sort of died with Jericho beating Tomko and Trish winning the women's title and not caring anymore.

At the time I wanted Christian to get Kane's shot against Benoit but given that we'd have a shot of Benoit putting Trish in the crossface.....yeah. Things ended up working well.

I would say the thing that disturbed me more about her heel turn was the implication it happened because she liked getting beat up by Christian. Yeah that's a GREAT moral point to give your audience from a women who's been portrayed as a role model for a few years.

Thought you all might find this amusing but I had to spend 20 defending Jerry Lawler as NOT one of those "guys who got away with being bad' today. Sometimes it's hard to talk to today's fans, I feel like we are all speaking different languages.