Randy Savage

Ricky Jackson

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan vs "Macho Man" Randy Savage w/Sherri - 6/89 Boston

I like this match better than Wrestlemania V because at this point the angle has changed. Savage has moved on with a new woman and now the feud is more about the WWF Title rather than Elizabeth so it does not necessitate an out of control brawl. Instead, Savage can do all his Memphis bullshit and make it look good in the WWF ring. He tosses in a chair and Hogan just pops a squat, which is pretty amusing. Savage gets on the mic and does a little trash talking. Nothing phases Hogan so Savage attacks with the cape to blind Hogan. This sets up the story that Savage always needs some nefarious tactics to get one over on Hogan. Hogan oversells again at the beginning, but take controls pretty quickly with an atomic drop and rights. He is very energized for this match and they do all the staple spots like Savage hiding behind Sherri. When Sherri gets on the ring apron, the goofy Hogan comes out and it is pretty funny. Savage hits him with a high knee. Savage takes over with liberal help from Sherri, which is very different from Elizabeth. Hell, it si very different from most managers you dont see Heenan, Fuji or Hart get this involved. Hogan makes his comeback off a chinlock, but Sherri trips him and he goes after Sherri, but Savage jumps on him with all his weight while Hogan's neck is across the ropes. That was a great spot. Savage receives a foreign object from Sherri and hits Hogan with it from thE top rope. KICK OUT! HULK-UP! Big boot and Savage powders drawing Hogan to the outside. Savage into the post and Sherri jumps on Hogan's back. Hogan threatens to hit SHerri and Savage pushes Hogan into the railing. Savage wins by countout.

Hogan makes his comeback clears the ring. He hits an atomic dorp on Sherri. "ATOMIC DROP! AND EVERYBODY LOVES IT!" - Tony Schiavone. It was a very fun match, but I don't think these two ever reached that masterpiece status together, but they always had good matches. I was surprised at the countout finish. I would have figured Hogan was beating Savage clean around this point unless they wanted to keep him "healthy" for Summerslam.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Savage's body of work holds up much better over time compared to some other guys from late 80s-mid 90s wwf. Take Dibiase for example. While he has a memorable gimmick,his best stuff was in mid south. Curt Hennig also had a great gimmick but his best stuff was in the AWA. Savage had was great at both face/heel, promos,selling,offense, and like it has already been said, his intensity put him over the top.

It's his intensity that makes his feuds memorable along with the fact that he always took it up a notch on ppv. Great angle and matches from the Steamboat feud. Memorable feud with Honky even if the matches weren't so good. The only reason to watch WM4. Memorable feud with Hogan. Huge match with Warrior at WM. Awesome feud with Jake Roberts. Not quite as awesome performance against Flair at wm.

I also thought he showed that he still had something left in WCW. There was the ddp feud and I seem to remember liking the Flair matches at the time.

Two questions someone can answer for me. How was the Savage/Tito series from 86 and how does the Savage/Poffo vs Rock n Roll Express match from 84 hold up ? That used to be one of my favorite matches when I was younger but I haven't seen it in many years. It is the piledriver on the table match.

The Savage/Tito series is awesome, one of the best WWF feuds of the 80s. Try this one out for a start and work from there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLS4sBtz3WA

As far as the match with the RnRs goes, you can judge for yourself :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csb4P9a7mf4...C7F&index=5

This tag match with Randy from Memphis is really good:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curently working my way through the WWE 3 disc set as it goes, there is a lot of good stuff i nthere, but it only scratches the surface really. he should have another 3 set released with a lot more rare material. I live in hope that the 94 Bret Hart matches were filmed properly and not just existing through fan cam...

The first time I saw Savage was when wrestling put "the hook" into me as a little kid.

Flipping the channels one morning, I see this dude in a bizarre shiny purple cowboy hat with crazy sunglasses and a ridiculous purple jacket with all the tassles. I watch the match and he end up doing the big elbow off the top of course. And I was like, "okay, this stuff is cool. I'm gonna watch more". That's what sticks with me in my head as the moment where as a little kid wrestling had shown me something I'd never seen before and couldn't get anywhere else.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I must have seen wrestling before that and watched a bit here and there, but that's the first real concrete memory I have where I decided I really liked wrestling.

So hell, I guess if nothing else, blame Randy Savage for me. :P

I've never seen his pre-WWF stuff but I should probably get around to that someday.

I had a similar experience. When I was getting into wrestling in 1988 as a 4 year old... Savage was THE coolest. Such an aura about him. Even more so than Hogan in my eyes.

I really wish they'd given him a little more variety of opponents in his title run. I want to watch that stuff back and live in my nostalgia for that particular era, but you can only watch so many Savage-Dibiase matches. Then there's Akeem, very finished Andre and Bad News and that's about it. Of course, the heel roster at that time was not particularly strong, so that might have been the bigger issue. Would I really be sitting here 25 years later enjoying Savage-Haku and Savage-Bravo? Probably not.

When I was 11, I was at a super point as a fan. At that point I started taping matches off tv. Which was new to me, because all I had on tape before was the SNME's my dad taped for me, because I couldn't stay up. However, I only had the show until the next one, because my dad used one tape.

Anyway, I remember I taped all the matches of one singles guy and one tag team. The singles guy was Savage (this was late 91). The tag team was High Energy (or New Foundation, I forget).

I was a huge mark for Savage as a kid and always has been. The first ppv show I had to see the moment it came out on video was WM5, to see Savage-Hogan. I think WM4 was the first ppv that happened from when I starting watching and I love that show to this day thanks to Savage.

He is in my personal top 3, easily.

• 3 years later...

I just watched the 6/3/89 match from Boston, and went ahead and checked out 10/10/89 from London. They worked the chair spot in to both matches. The crowd loved it both times of course. I think the June match is better, but they were both really fun. Hogan has Liz with him in London and she gets involved (and Sherri gets involved) quite a bit. I also googled the Bockwinkel match, because I wasn't sure if I saw that or not on the Memphis set. Tito Santana vs. Savage popped up from 10/19/1985 (Puerto Rico) instead, so I watched it. It's not a good match, or really a match by any means, but it was interesting. It was raining, so they had to work around that, and there were water puddles in the ring. Savage is the guy that drew me into wrestling as well. I'm going to try to spend some time looking into whatever I can find that I haven't seen before (or haven't seen in long time).

Which Savage/Santana match is considered the best? The link above has expired. I've been watching a few today (including the more well known 02/08/1986) where Savage wins the IC Title. But, is there a certain match anyone around here would recommend seeking out? The MSG match from 05/19/1986 was pretty awesome. Bruno was the guest ref and Adonis interferes. Great spot in the match where Savage nails Santana in the back of the head with his knee. The crowd is nuts for the end.

Went on to the NO DQ match from Toronto. This is my favorite of the feud so far, and I doubt it will be topped. My favorite from the Steamboat feud also took place at Maple Leaf Gardens. This one took place on 05/04/1986. This match starts of pretty heated. You even have Santana nailing him with a chair within the first minute or two. It's a great match with lots of brawling. Savage gets busted open on the ringpost. It's a total classic. There's an entrance ramp at ring level, and my favorite spot was probably Tito bouncing Randy's head off of it. It looked pretty brutal.

A match that I never see get any talk is Macho vs Bret from Slamboree 1998. It's basically Macho's last quality match, Bret's best WCW match that didn't involve Benoit. The whole match is pretty much Macho's great babyface selling as Bret destroys his already bad knee and his neck. Even with the fuckery finish and Piper trying to steal the spotlight, it's two old vets taking their time and doing what they do at a point where it was really the last chance they'd get to do it and have it be any kind of decent, let a lone good.

1488850353397.gif1488850427815.gif1488850463591.gif

A match that I never see get any talk is Macho vs Bret from Slamboree 1998. It's basically Macho's last quality match, Bret's best WCW match that didn't involve Benoit. The whole match is pretty much Macho's great babyface selling as Bret destroys his already bad knee and his neck. Even with the fuckery finish and Piper trying to steal the spotlight, it's two old vets taking their time and doing what they do at a point where it was really the last chance they'd get to do it and have it be any kind of decent, let a lone good.

1488850353397.gif1488850427815.gif1488850463591.gif

This sounds interesting and I don't believe I've ever seen it.

I'm glad you brought up that Slamboree 1998 match. I had not seen that in probably 5-8 years. I watched it this morning and loved it. I can imagine I was probably annoyed by the finish back in 1998, but I don't care at all now. So, that's probably why I didn't remember how good the match was. Piper was fine. Savage was fantastic. I loved his selling of basically everything. stro has the stuff that really popped out up above there, and I really liked how the knee damage caused the slow pin attempt following the elbow drop.

As far as Steamboat, within the past week or so I watched:

11/07/1985 - Wrestling Classic - short but sweet

12/07/1985 - Boston

07/27/1986 - Toronto - Probably 3rd favorite of the bunch

10/28/1986 Superstars taping - aired 11/22/1986

11/01/1986 - Boston - Fun callback to the foreign object from the Tito Match

11/08/1986 - Philadelphia

01/05/1987 - Hogan & Steamboat vs. Savage & Honky - Meadowlands Arena - Savage tried to use the ring bell in this one too

01/10/1987 - Philadelphia

01/27/1987 - Ft. Myers

02/15/1987 - Toronto - 1st

03/29/1987 - Mania III - 2nd

05/15/1987 - Houston

They are all really good to great. 02/15/1987 remains my favorite, but man it's all so good. I'll have to look into that 4-disc set. I need to see what I'm missing.