Randy Savage

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2791 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

Yep Toronto match is tops for me as well

#42 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

A match that I never see get any talk is Macho vs Bret from Slamboree 1998. It's basically Macho's last quality match, Bret's best WCW match that didn't involve Benoit. The whole match is pretty much Macho's great babyface selling as Bret destroys his already bad knee and his neck. Even with the fuckery finish and Piper trying to steal the spotlight, it's two old vets taking their time and doing what they do at a point where it was really the last chance they'd get to do it and have it be any kind of decent, let a lone good. 

1488850353397.gif1488850427815.gif1488850463591.gif

#43 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Yep. I like this match quite a bit too. Not sure if I'd say it's better than Bret's stuff with Luger or DDP on Nitro later in the year (but I like Bret's WCW more than most), but it is Savage's swan song for sure. 

#44 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

I have all the Tito-Greg, Randy-Tito, and Ricky-Randy stuff collected google drive from a comp I did a few years ago if anyone if interested. Send me a PM and I'll share the link.

#45 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

There's also an extremely comprehensive 4 disc comp of the Savage-Steamboat feud on XWT classics.

#46 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

A match that I never see get any talk is Macho vs Bret from Slamboree 1998. It's basically Macho's last quality match, Bret's best WCW match that didn't involve Benoit. The whole match is pretty much Macho's great babyface selling as Bret destroys his already bad knee and his neck. Even with the fuckery finish and Piper trying to steal the spotlight, it's two old vets taking their time and doing what they do at a point where it was really the last chance they'd get to do it and have it be any kind of decent, let a lone good. 

1488850353397.gif1488850427815.gif1488850463591.gif

This sounds interesting and I don't believe I've ever seen it. 

#47 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Yep Toronto match is tops for me as well

Could be a top 5 MOTD contender for WWF 1980's even.

#48 Shrike02

Shrike02
  • Members
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Life, the universe, and everything.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

That Toronto house show was pretty fun. The Savage/Tito match was clearly better than the main event ...

#49 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2791 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

I think I've only seen that Savage vs Hart match when it aired live on ppv and never again. I remember being let down because they were two of my all time faves and I expected a classic. I'll have to finally rewatch it one of these days

#50 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

I'm glad you brought up that Slamboree 1998 match.  I had not seen that in probably 5-8 years.  I watched it this morning and loved it.  I can imagine I was probably annoyed by the finish back in 1998, but I don't care at all now.  So, that's probably why I didn't remember how good the match was.  Piper was fine.  Savage was fantastic.  I loved his selling of basically everything.  stro has the stuff that really popped out up above there, and I really liked how the knee damage caused the slow pin attempt following the elbow drop. 

As far as Steamboat, within the past week or so I watched:

11/07/1985 - Wrestling Classic - short but sweet

12/07/1985 - Boston

07/27/1986 - Toronto - Probably 3rd favorite of the bunch

10/28/1986 Superstars taping - aired 11/22/1986

11/01/1986 - Boston - Fun callback to the foreign object from the Tito Match

11/08/1986 - Philadelphia

01/05/1987 - Hogan & Steamboat vs. Savage & Honky - Meadowlands Arena - Savage tried to use the ring bell in this one too

01/10/1987 - Philadelphia

01/27/1987 - Ft. Myers

02/15/1987 - Toronto - 1st

03/29/1987 - Mania III - 2nd

05/15/1987 - Houston

They are all really good to great.  02/15/1987 remains my favorite, but man it's all so good.  I'll have to look into that 4-disc set.  I need to see what I'm missing. 

#51 thebrainfollower

thebrainfollower
  • Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Doctor Who, Star Wars, classic horror, politics, history, theater, and that wrestling thing we are here for.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

I know Tito and Ricky teamed up against the Dream Team in what is probably Brutus Beefcake's career match IMO but did they ever team up against Savage?

#52 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2791 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

I don't think so, at least not on tape. The only other matches on tape of the Tito/Ricky team I'm aware of are a TV squash and against Muraco and Fuji from Philly

#53 PhilTLL

PhilTLL
  • Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Not on tape seems to be correct, but...

WWF @ Hartford, CT - Civic Center - March 16, 1986
Sivi Afi pinned Moondog Spot
Jake Roberts pinned George Wells
Iron Mike Sharpe pinned SD Jones
King Tonga pinned Mr. X (sub. for Barry O)
Davey Boy Smith defeated WWF Tag Team Champion Greg Valentine via disqualification
The Dynamite Kid pinned WWF Tag Team Champion Brutus Beefcake
Ricky Steamboat & Tito Santana defeated WWF IC Champion Randy Savage & Don Muraco
WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan pinned Big John Studd; Hogan's ribs were taped after the assault he sustained from King Kong Bundy as part of Saturday Night's Main Event

WWF @ Sacramento, CA - Arco Arena - March 20, 1987 (11,111; sell out)
Paul Roma defeated Steve Lombardi
The Iron Sheik defeated Nick Kiniski
Outback Jack defeated Frenchy Martin
Raymond Rougeau defeated Bob Orton Jr.
Don Muraco fought Jacques Rougeau to a draw
Blackjack Mulligan defeated Nikolai Volkoff via disqualification
King Kong Bundy fought Kamala to a double count-out
Ricky Steamboat, Tito Santana & Blackjack Mulligan defeated WWF IC Champion Randy Savage, Adrian Adonis & Butch Reed in an elimination match; Roddy Piper was to have been on Steamboat's team but did not appear

#54 Benbeeach

Benbeeach
  • Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:38 PM

That excellence of execution stuff really meant nothing to me as a kid. Sounded cool though I would readily admit. But you look at the way Bret hits that piledriver and DDT (poor Raven) and it's hard to argue against. Picture perfect stuff. Can hear the WCW mat when I see those gifs. 

#55 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

I checked out the 4/22/1986 Santana/Savage (No DQ from MSG) match after looking over NintendoLogic's newly posted top 100.  The match is fantastic.  Savage off the top, and Tito catches him with that chair shot to the ribs - awesome.  Another classic I had not seen from these guys.  I watched the Wrestling Classic too (trucking through with the P2B guys), and that was Savage's night as well.  I had seen it before, but probably on 24/7 years ago.  I really enjoyed all of his performances on that card from top to bottom.  I've been on this kick, so I also watched the Randy Savage Collection that's on the Network over the past week.  It's surprising they didn't include either of the two classic Santana/Savage matches that have been discussed here in the collection.  I will say it's a really fun watch, and I enjoyed how they have it laid out.  It's worth checking out.  I haven't watched his DVD/Blu-Ray collections in years, but this is probably pretty similar.  I just liked how they have the promos interspersed with the matches.  Dig it!

#56 Justtxyank

Justtxyank
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

I loved that Bret/Savage match at the time, but I'm also a big fan of Bret in WCW and end of the line Savage before the 99 return. Savage selling the knee was really well done. I think old man Savage in WCW was really great at telling stories in the ring when it mattered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users