Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-06-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Action figures commercial w/Paul E. Dangerously

Loss

What a weird commercial. Paul E. Dangerously lies about how he spends his time with babes in Ferraris, while they show how he really spends his time, having Lex Luger vs Ron Simmons action figure matches. I don't get it. Were they calling their target audience nerds who couldn't get laid? Was Dixie Carter right all along?

What a weird commercial. Paul E. Dangerously lies about how he spends his time with babes in Ferraris, while they show how he really spends his time, having Lex Luger vs Ron Simmons action figure matches. I don't get it. Were they calling their target audience nerds who couldn't get laid? Was Dixie Carter right all along?

They were calling Paul E a grown man who plays with dolls.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Paul Dangerously playing with WCW toys. The ring ain’t bad looking but I give the edge to the WWF toy ring. We get a clip during this of Heyman hitting Hervey with the cell phone. That video should be accompanied on everything to do with Paul E.

Note to self. Never refer to yourself as a TNA fan when trying to pick up chicks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So if you buy WCW action figures you'll end up arm-wrestling airheaded bimbos and hitting obnoxious punks in the head with cell phones? Sign me up for every last one!

What, were Sting and the Steiners too busy to do a thirty-second commercial? Using a heel is bad enough, but using an obnoxious heel chauvinist broadcaster who jumps people from behind with his cell phone has to be the most boneheaded marketing move in wrestling history up to that time. For an equivalent, just imagine the WWF using Jimmy Hart as its spokesman for their figures back in the mid-eighties. What could they have been thinking? (I'd ask if they were thinking at all, but we all know the answer to that one, don't we?)

The sad part is, they'll be going even further in the toilet before the next few days are up with Flair's departure. The more I see of WCW lately, the more I believe Ric came out of all this smelling like a rose.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-06-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Action figures commercial w/Paul E. Dangerously