Shoots Review and Preview thread

• Please log in to reply
1038 replies to this topic

#21 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

Women can be as freaky as men, believe me.

#22 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7360 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

I know the 80's were a weird time but even I can't believe that women would get excited and interested by a guy who sucks his own dick :huh:

It only takes 1.

#23 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Barry Windham Timeline WCW '91 Shoot Review

This fits right in with the discussion of Flair's firing going on elsewhere.

Hope you enjoy my career overview and review of Barry's shoot!

#24 cabinboy454

cabinboy454
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

You mention in the shoot Barry talks about Vince's love of Mike Rotundo, does he mention why? Has anyone every heard stories of why Vince really like Rotundo? I'd really like to know more about this, it just seems really odd.

#25 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

You mention in the shoot Barry talks about Vince's love of Mike Rotundo, does he mention why? Has anyone every heard stories of why Vince really like Rotundo? I'd really like to know more about this, it just seems really odd.

IIRC Barry doesn't elaborate. Vince did hire Mike like 4 or 5 times so there must be something there Vince likes.

#26 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

They just had him show up in one of the youtube videos talking to the prime time players as IRS.

#27 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Is it that remarkable that Vince signed Rotunda multiple times? How many times did he hire Windham? How many times did he hire any high-profile wrestler in the years when he major competition? Most everyone I can think of from The Iron Sheik to Bossman to Jake to Bulldog to Sid to Luger and whoever else was signed 3-5 times by Vince. Rotunda always struck me as a 9-5 kinda guy who a boss could depend on. When half the locker room are roid heads and the other half are smacked out of their heads on coke, I can see why you'd want someone like Rotunda around. Incidentally, I've seen that Windham Timeline too and found him a bit glib in it. He's never really willing to say more is he?

#28 khawk20

khawk20
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2316 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Is it that remarkable that Vince signed Rotunda multiple times?

Depends on what the reasons were for Rotonda being let go/quitting each time, I suppose. If there was acrimony, it's a bit more curious. If it was just regular business, then it probably isn't an unusual thing.

#29 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

Is it that remarkable that Vince signed Rotunda multiple times?

Depends on what the reasons were for Rotonda being let go/quitting each time, I suppose. If there was acrimony, it's a bit more curious. If it was just regular business, then it probably isn't an unusual thing.

1.) Mike got nuts on the road and went home. Barry freaked out in response and went home too. Mike came back. Barry didn't.
2.) WCW offered him a shit ton of money.

To me the most interesting thing about Rotunda's career is how he got into wrestling.

#30 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

How did he get into wrestling....?

#31 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Didn't he date Mulligan's daughter (now his wife) first before getting into it?

#32 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

I remember it from his shoot, but I found it here too:

http://www.wwe.com/c...now/mikerotundo

"If you want to talk about Mike Rotundo's career you have to begin with The Destroyer.

Born Dick Beyer, The Destroyer was a legendary masked wrestler, internationally known for his brutal rivalries with the likes of "Crippler" Ray Stevens, Giant Baba and Mil Máscaras. He was also a Syracuse University alumnus — the same college a 20-year-old Mike Rotundo was attending when the two men crossed paths.

"The Destroyer spoke at one of our wrestling banquets," Rotundo recalled. "He had just returned from wrestling in Japan and he asked me if I ever thought of getting into wrestling. I told him I knew nothing about it."

At this time in his life, Mike Rotundo had no interest in WWE. An incredible athlete, the Florida native was a standout in both amateur wrestling and football at his alma mater. He had spent his youth infatuated with these sports, but, with The Destroyer's urging, he began to watch WWE on television whenever he could. Impressed by young Superstars like Bob Backlund and Bruno Sammartino, Rotundo decided to give wrestling a shot.

Immediately after graduating, Rotundo found himself in Germany being trained by The Destroyer in a rock-solid ring. After two weeks of intensive schooling, Rotundo was competing against young Americans and European veterans all across the country."

#33 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

His RF interview was like watching paint dry.

#34 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7360 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't know why anyone would expect much out out of a Rotundo shoot. Nothing about the guy screams excitement. Someone whose career was essentially defined by being boring isn't the first guy I want to sit down a listen to talk for 90 minutes or whatever.

#35 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

The biggest take away i got from it was that he, more than anyone else I've come across, I think, saw wrestling as a job.

#36 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8733 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

I have a feeling of dejà vu.

#37 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Someone whose career was essentially defined by being boring isn't the first guy I want to sit down a listen to talk for 90 minutes or whatever.

It seemed to work for a while for Lance Storm.

#38 Troy

Troy
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

There's going to be a Timeline 1993 with Lex Luger I know you're all excited because I am

#39 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

That could be like waiting to watch dry paint crack. Luger definitely comes across as having treated it as a job. It might be interesting if he had any insight into what went on with Hogan during this time. I know they interviewed Jake Roberts for something but it was canned. I'd LOVE to see him do a '91 Timeline, as it was an interesting year for him in WWF.

#40 Troy

Troy
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

I want to see what he says about not winning the WWF Title

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users