Pro Wrestling Only

Shoots Review and Preview thread

BruiserBrody

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it that remarkable that Vince signed Rotunda multiple times? How many times did he hire Windham? How many times did he hire any high-profile wrestler in the years when he major competition? Most everyone I can think of from The Iron Sheik to Bossman to Jake to Bulldog to Sid to Luger and whoever else was signed 3-5 times by Vince.

Rotunda always struck me as a 9-5 kinda guy who a boss could depend on. When half the locker room are roid heads and the other half are smacked out of their heads on coke, I can see why you'd want someone like Rotunda around.

Incidentally, I've seen that Windham Timeline too and found him a bit glib in it. He's never really willing to say more is he?

Is it that remarkable that Vince signed Rotunda multiple times?

Depends on what the reasons were for Rotonda being let go/quitting each time, I suppose. If there was acrimony, it's a bit more curious. If it was just regular business, then it probably isn't an unusual thing.

Is it that remarkable that Vince signed Rotunda multiple times?

Depends on what the reasons were for Rotonda being let go/quitting each time, I suppose. If there was acrimony, it's a bit more curious. If it was just regular business, then it probably isn't an unusual thing.

1.) Mike got nuts on the road and went home. Barry freaked out in response and went home too. Mike came back. Barry didn't.

2.) WCW offered him a shit ton of money.

To me the most interesting thing about Rotunda's career is how he got into wrestling.

I remember it from his shoot, but I found it here too:

http://www.wwe.com/classics/wherearetheynow/mikerotundo

"If you want to talk about Mike Rotundo's career you have to begin with The Destroyer.

Born Dick Beyer, The Destroyer was a legendary masked wrestler, internationally known for his brutal rivalries with the likes of "Crippler" Ray Stevens, Giant Baba and Mil Máscaras. He was also a Syracuse University alumnus — the same college a 20-year-old Mike Rotundo was attending when the two men crossed paths.

"The Destroyer spoke at one of our wrestling banquets," Rotundo recalled. "He had just returned from wrestling in Japan and he asked me if I ever thought of getting into wrestling. I told him I knew nothing about it."

At this time in his life, Mike Rotundo had no interest in WWE. An incredible athlete, the Florida native was a standout in both amateur wrestling and football at his alma mater. He had spent his youth infatuated with these sports, but, with The Destroyer's urging, he began to watch WWE on television whenever he could. Impressed by young Superstars like Bob Backlund and Bruno Sammartino, Rotundo decided to give wrestling a shot.

Immediately after graduating, Rotundo found himself in Germany being trained by The Destroyer in a rock-solid ring. After two weeks of intensive schooling, Rotundo was competing against young Americans and European veterans all across the country."

I don't know why anyone would expect much out out of a Rotundo shoot. Nothing about the guy screams excitement. Someone whose career was essentially defined by being boring isn't the first guy I want to sit down a listen to talk for 90 minutes or whatever.

That could be like waiting to watch dry paint crack. Luger definitely comes across as having treated it as a job. It might be interesting if he had any insight into what went on with Hogan during this time. I know they interviewed Jake Roberts for something but it was canned. I'd LOVE to see him do a '91 Timeline, as it was an interesting year for him in WWF.

I've seen both those Rotunda and Luger shoots.

Rotunda's is excessively boring. He comes across as someone with zero passion for the business.

Luger I always thought comes across as a really nice guy who is just a little bit stupid. I mean just thick. Listening to him it always feels like he was widely misunderstood and that what was taken to be his arrogance back in the day was in fact a manifestation of him just not being one of the boys. While, as with any wrestler, you do have to take him with a healthy dose of salt, I do think he's one of the people who gets an unfair rap -- not least because WWF gave virtual carte blanche to guys to bury him in shoot situations for years.

Yeah, Luger's life fell apart around the time he started dating Elizabeth, and he just continued to slowly deteriorate from there. I think in his shoot, we were seeing someone either still on drugs or who was so damaged from doing them that he just wasn't the same anymore. I think we also saw a guy in denial that his career was over, thinking if he said all the right things, WWE might bring him in for that last run. Shortly before this, he was selling himself to indy promoters as a guy who was getting offers from WWE to return all the time, which we know wasn't true.

But Luger's rep was of a guy who was the polar opposite of stupid. This was a guy who got heat in the 80s for openly questioning why Jim Crockett didn't insure his wrestlers. This is a guy who worked the smartest clause about working outside the U.S. into his WCW contract that I have ever heard of a wrestler doing, which pays off with a hilarious story about the '91 Starrcade in Tokyo show and why Luger wasn't on it. He was in some ways the precursor to Kevin Nash somehow getting great deal after great deal because he was such a shrewd self promoter (although he worked harder than Nash at comparative points in their careers). He was a businessman.

Yeah, there is all that. The guy he is in the shoot is not the guy he was in the late 80s.

Have you heard Luger talk recently? I watched his interview with Sting on this Christian show on youtube a while back, he has a different perspective again now. (usual Born Again stuff)

I always got the impression in wrestling that smarter guys -- Ventura also springs to mind -- aren't that well liked by the locker room.

I always got the impression in wrestling that smarter guys -- Ventura also springs to mind -- aren't that well liked by the locker room.

My impression is that guys who are loners, not big partyers (or even at all) and smarter than the average wrestling immature fuck-up and who take wrestling for what it is, a job, are not well liked in general. Pro-wrestling is a sleazy business and the "old-school" mentality of "paying your dues" and stuff is pretty much a bunch of shit. Goldberg who from all acount is a really smart and nice guy also got shit for not being a wrestling fan and treating wrestling as a job.

My impression is that guys who are loners, not big partyers (or even at all) and smarter than the average wrestling immature fuck-up and who take wrestling for what it is, a job, are not well liked in general. Pro-wrestling is a sleazy business and the "old-school" mentality of "paying your dues" and stuff is pretty much a bunch of shit. Goldberg who from all acount is a really smart and nice guy also got shit for not being a wrestling fan and treating wrestling as a job.

I always saw Goldberg as a guy who was too normal to be in wrestling. He also always seemed like a pretty decent human being.