Shoots Review and Preview thread

• Please log in to reply
1050 replies to this topic

#41 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

I honestly thought Luger's RF shoot I heard years ago was the most boring of the ones I ever listened to. He basically claimed he was never involved in any of the politics of wrestling ever for every question, which is 99% of the fun.

#42 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

I've seen both those Rotunda and Luger shoots. Rotunda's is excessively boring. He comes across as someone with zero passion for the business. Luger I always thought comes across as a really nice guy who is just a little bit stupid. I mean just thick. Listening to him it always feels like he was widely misunderstood and that what was taken to be his arrogance back in the day was in fact a manifestation of him just not being one of the boys. While, as with any wrestler, you do have to take him with a healthy dose of salt, I do think he's one of the people who gets an unfair rap -- not least because WWF gave virtual carte blanche to guys to bury him in shoot situations for years.

#43 BrickHithouse

BrickHithouse
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

Luger I always thought comes across as a really nice guy who is just a little bit stupid. I mean just thick.

Post-stroke, there's bound to be some deterioration. Academically speaking, let's not forget Jim Ross's excessive mentions of Luger's 3.78 GPA.

#44 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

Yeah, Luger's life fell apart around the time he started dating Elizabeth, and he just continued to slowly deteriorate from there. I think in his shoot, we were seeing someone either still on drugs or who was so damaged from doing them that he just wasn't the same anymore. I think we also saw a guy in denial that his career was over, thinking if he said all the right things, WWE might bring him in for that last run. Shortly before this, he was selling himself to indy promoters as a guy who was getting offers from WWE to return all the time, which we know wasn't true. But Luger's rep was of a guy who was the polar opposite of stupid. This was a guy who got heat in the 80s for openly questioning why Jim Crockett didn't insure his wrestlers. This is a guy who worked the smartest clause about working outside the U.S. into his WCW contract that I have ever heard of a wrestler doing, which pays off with a hilarious story about the '91 Starrcade in Tokyo show and why Luger wasn't on it. He was in some ways the precursor to Kevin Nash somehow getting great deal after great deal because he was such a shrewd self promoter (although he worked harder than Nash at comparative points in their careers). He was a businessman.

#45 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

Yeah, there is all that. The guy he is in the shoot is not the guy he was in the late 80s. Have you heard Luger talk recently? I watched his interview with Sting on this Christian show on youtube a while back, he has a different perspective again now. (usual Born Again stuff) I always got the impression in wrestling that smarter guys -- Ventura also springs to mind -- aren't that well liked by the locker room.

#46 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

Also as a side issue, was Luger ever involved with trying to get a union or insurance guarantee together? I can't remember if it was him, Ventura or both at different points, but I believe it's one of the reasons he always had heat with Vince.

#47 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

I always got the impression in wrestling that smarter guys -- Ventura also springs to mind -- aren't that well liked by the locker room.

My impression is that guys who are loners, not big partyers (or even at all) and smarter than the average wrestling immature fuck-up and who take wrestling for what it is, a job, are not well liked in general. Pro-wrestling is a sleazy business and the "old-school" mentality of "paying your dues" and stuff is pretty much a bunch of shit. Goldberg who from all acount is a really smart and nice guy also got shit for not being a wrestling fan and treating wrestling as a job.

#48 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10258 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

The thing I love about Luger's is how into it he gets when a rumor is mentioned. "What! Is that what they say? I don't use the internet. Tell me what they say. that's crazy. wow." It's pretty funny.

#49 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

http://culturecrossf...iews-gary-hart/

Gary Hart shoot review! Plus I offer an overview into the WCCW history and downfall in the 80's.

Hope you enjoy!

#50 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

I always got the impression in wrestling that smarter guys -- Ventura also springs to mind -- aren't that well liked by the locker room.

My impression is that guys who are loners, not big partyers (or even at all) and smarter than the average wrestling immature fuck-up and who take wrestling for what it is, a job, are not well liked in general. Pro-wrestling is a sleazy business and the "old-school" mentality of "paying your dues" and stuff is pretty much a bunch of shit. Goldberg who from all acount is a really smart and nice guy also got shit for not being a wrestling fan and treating wrestling as a job.

I always saw Goldberg as a guy who was too normal to be in wrestling. He also always seemed like a pretty decent human being.

#51 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10258 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Is Vader the most universally reviled guy in shoots?

#52 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2616 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

I've never heard any bad things about him, except from Orndorff of course.

#53 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Nah. Warrior, Johnny Ace.

The guy I've never heard anything against was Bobby Eaton. Even Steamboat has a few guys who aren't big fans like Honky. But Eaton, I'm scratching my head and can't find one reference of a guy speaking badly about him.

#54 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2616 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Does Honky really like anyone? Everything I've seen him do is bitch, bitch, bitch.

#55 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10258 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Nah. Warrior, Johnny Ace.

The guy I've never heard anything against was Bobby Eaton. Even Steamboat has a few guys who aren't big fans like Honky. But Eaton, I'm scratching my head and can't find one reference of a guy speaking badly about him.

Johnny ace is pretty bad, and it's really varied how bad he is. Warrior, on the other hand, most people say that he was quiet and just kept to himself.

#56 BrickHithouse

BrickHithouse
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Is it true that Ace's main function in All Japan was to bang Baba's wife? Sorry if it's been brought up before and discussed extensively.

#57 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

There's got to be a good horrible joke there about how Ace transitioned into a position of power with WWE, but I just can't quite bring myself to connect the dots.

#58 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

Does Honky really like anyone? Everything I've seen him do is bitch, bitch, bitch.

I avoid HTM shoots now because I just think he's a total scumbag.

I'm not into shoots for that whole "hear him SHOOT on X" gimmick. That's a pathetic scene and HTM epitomises it.

The best shoots by far I've seen or heard have been the ones with Bill Watts.

#59 khawk20

khawk20
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2330 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

I avoid HTM shoots now because I just think he's a total scumbag.

I'm not into shoots for that whole "hear him SHOOT on X" gimmick. That's a pathetic scene and HTM epitomises it.

The best shoots by far I've seen or heard have been the ones with Bill Watts.

You'd probably like Jim Brunzell's shoot.

#60 KrisZ

KrisZ
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 9907 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

Goldberg got into wrestling late in life. When he was at UGA he was legendary for his off-field antics and would've fit in perfectly in the wrestling business

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users