Wrestler/Actor

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

Pain & Gain might be Dwayne's best performance. He shows a vulnerability underneath his huge frame that never wavers, even when it leads to violence. I was really hoping it was good from the trailers, and it exceeded expectations a little.

#2 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

So, what's the best (or at least notable) performance by a wrestler in a movie/TV show in your estimation?

#3 Kevin Ridge

Kevin Ridge
  • Members
  • 4762 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Professor Toru Tanaka in the greatest movie ever The Perfect Weapon.

#4 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Professor Toru Tanaka in the greatest movie ever The Running Man.

Fixed.

#5 Kevin Ridge

Kevin Ridge
  • Members
  • 4762 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Professor Toru Tanaka in the greatest movie ever The Running Man.

Fixed.

How do I ignore this guy?

#6 Johnny Guitar

Johnny Guitar
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Because probably no one else will. I'm going to throw a nomination in for Pat Roach. He's not a name that gets any real recognition from wrestling fans. But to the general public in the UK, he was a recognisable name for along time. He was a major part of one of the most popular British TV series of the last 30 years, Auf Wiedersehen Pet. And was in the first 3 Indiana ones movies. He's the dude who fight's with Ford around the plane propeller's in Raider's and on the conveyor belt in TOD. They shot a third fight sequence for Last Crusade, but it was cut.

#7 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

This is his IMDB page. It's interesting you brought someone from England up, I think someone in the cast of Alien 3 was a wrestler. I seem to recall hearing David Fincher telling a story about him on the commentary track for one of his films (Zodiac I think).

For the record, I think if he showed the same kind of passion towards acting as he did his native profession, Roddy Piper could have been (and who knows, still might get the chance) to give a genuinely great performance or two.

#8 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10162 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Obviously it's Big Show in an episode of Psych.

#9 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Big Show was great in his one cameo on Star Trek Enterprise although like me and 8 other people saw it. He could probably get lots of work as "giant goon #1" if he wanted to.

#10 Johnny Guitar

Johnny Guitar
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

This is his IMDB page. It's interesting you brought someone from England up, I think someone in the cast of Alien 3 was a wrestler. I seem to recall hearing David Fincher telling a story about him on the commentary track for one of his films (Zodiac I think).

For the record, I think if he showed the same kind of passion towards acting as he did his native profession, Roddy Piper could have been (and who knows, still might get the chance) to give a genuinely great performance or two.

Brian Glover,who was the warden in Alien 3, used to be a wrestler.

Who know's with Piper. He had the lead in a film (They Live) that became a genuine cult classic. Made by one of the great cult film-makers,which has a base/following totally removed from wrestling. Which is more than most wrestlers have done.

At worst his performance should have guaranteed him some parts in other Carpenter flicks.

#11 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

Just looked up Bret Hart's wikipedia page, and it said he played a prison inmate in Natural Born Killers but his scene was cut. Has anyone else heard this? I wouldn't be too surprised if it happened considering the Tatanka bit in the movie.

#12 (BP)

(BP)
  • Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'll never understand how Stan Hansen didn't get more acting work after No Holds Barred.

#13 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

Obviously it's Big Show in an episode of Psych.

I liked Big Show as WWE Ambassador to all of the other USA shows. Burn Notice, Psych, Royal Pains.

#14 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2605 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

Batista was just cast in the next James Bond movie. It's been an interesting year for him.

#15 Mr. Lacelle

Mr. Lacelle
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

So, what's the best (or at least notable) performance by a wrestler in a movie/TV show in your estimation?

Roddy Piper in They Live, it's one of the rare performances by a wrestler where non wrestling fans would buy that he's just an ordinary actor and not a wrestler.

#16 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2922 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

Andre the Giant in The Princess Bride seems like the gold standard.

#17 pantherwagner

pantherwagner
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1192 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

Haven't watched it in ages but Cavernario Galindo was great at La Ultima Lucha.

Mexican wrestling films are always corny but this one may be the exception. Movie is on youtube. Anyone with basic Spanish will enjoy it. Actually, the plot is easy to follow and you can know what's going on even if you don't speak the language.

#18 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6237 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

Haven't watched it in ages but Cavernario Galindo was great at La Ultima Lucha.

Mexican wrestling films are always corny but this one may be the exception. Movie is on youtube. Anyone with basic Spanish will enjoy it. Actually, the plot is easy to follow and you can know what's going on even if you don't speak the language.

Since you're in the thread I might as well ask: How the hell did Fantasma end up as the lead in Intrepidos Punks

#19 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

It's clearly Billy Gunn in that advert for Hot Chocolate he died about 7 years ago.

#20 MikeCampbell

MikeCampbell

80% of crazy!

• Members
  • 2142 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

Mick Foley in G vs E?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users