Pro Wrestling Only

Crowdsourcing: The Shield

evilclown

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ambrose submitting to taker (who then got absolutely demolished, no?) felt like an event and meant a whole lot more than Rollins losing to kane clean in the first match of a random Smackdown with no build. I'm fine with one of the Shield eating a loss but they should build it into a moment.

Hell, WCW, for all its faults, made Chris Jericho beating Nick Patrick feel like it mattered since it was one of the first real losses for a NWO guy and they presented it as mattering.

UT submitted Ambrose a few weeks back, and Cena pinned Rollins as part of the six man elimination match. Reigns hasn't dropped any falls other than by DQ. I was thinking that they'd let Hell No retain at the PPV with Bryan submitting Reigns just to get it out of the way, so they'd each have dropped a fall.

Here is the final product. Everyone hates it!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1653867...he-shields-push

I like the use of Timberlake for a better current analogy. I date myself with the Jackson 5 and the Supremes. :)

If I've learned anything reading Meltzer and listening to the announce trio on Raw mock each other, it's how important it is to keep your references current!

Guest Nell Santucci

HHH featuring the Shield is such a great terrible idea.

Here is the final product. Everyone hates it!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1653867...he-shields-push

No offense, and I'm sure your reasoning is sound, but I'd never publish for a moronic site like the Bleacher Report unless I got paid. The response to your article was overwhelmingly kneejerk, which is why it baffles me when, with fans like that, WWE just doesn't pretend it's a fake sport rather than real entertainment. One even accused you of conspiracy mongering when the truth is that the entire wrestling business, for its entire history, is and has been, by nature, a conspiracy. Even when I was on the NC indy circuit, there were conspiracies in who gets the belt. It's the nature of a worked sport.

Bleacher Report is an awful website. I wouldn't write for them even if I got paid.

Thanks for sharing that. It's the third largest sports site in the country, offers me access to athletes and industry leaders, and pays decently. I can't complain.

It's the third largest sports site in the country because it knows how to work google and got bought by Turner Sports. I don't mean to demean your work and it's know fault of your own, but Bleacher Report is one of the worst sites on the internet. I don't go to it on general principle.

Bleacher Report is an awful website. I wouldn't write for them even if I got paid.

Thanks for sharing that. It's the third largest sports site in the country, offers me access to athletes and industry leaders, and pays decently. I can't complain.

It's the third largest sports site in the country because it knows how to work google and got bought by Turner Sports. I don't mean to demean your work and it's know fault of your own, but Bleacher Report is one of the worst sites on the internet. I don't go to it on general principle.

You do mean to demean the site and the work of a couple of posters here by extension. If you're going to do so, that's fine. Don't pretend that's not what you're doing though.

It's the third largest sports site because they're good at creating content people want to read and getting it in front of a large audience. The site isn't successful because Turner bought it. Quite the opposite.

I think the biggest problem with The Shield is they've kind of killed the mystery off by having them on TV so much. One of the reasons they got over as much as they did was they were mysterious and creepy and would just show up whenever they felt like it. They're still having awesome matches on TV, and they're still over, but the whole mystique kind of went out the window for me the more they started wrestling in matches on TV.

Which was inevitable, but, they could have done a better job with it

At least as a trio they're being kept strong. They should never lose a 6 man tag without good reason and build up behind it. That means Daniel Bryan has to be the guy that beats The Shield, which is what I think they are trying to build to, but who the f knows with this company

This is easy to say when you don't make part of the money you need to feed yourself (let alone your family) from writing. I have shared forums with deplorable people, was once edited by a quasi-fascist (literally), have written for horrible venues (and amazingly some good ones despite my relative lack of talent) and once accepted an absurdly large amount of money to write a middling column about pro wrestling for a short lived website funded by Steve Forbes and Bill Bennett (probably two of the twenty or so living Americans I have the least respect for).

I am not a fan of Bleacher Report really, but it's a good paying gig for some good writers. My guess is evilclown wouldn't be able to afford to write quality books like Shooters or Total MMA if he didn't have a more regular gig. I've had my arguments with Snowden in the past, but shitting on a writer who has produced very good content (and is apparently working on another wrestling book which I would be interested to know the details of) because he chooses to be paid well to write for a high traffic site is fucking stupid.

As much as I still have a distaste for the site, I think BR has been improving of late. That Savage article by Keith Greenberg, for example, was a substantial piece of investigative writing. And -- for whatever reason -- they allowed him make it look like it had been written by an adult rather than an ADHD-addled 6 year old. I am referring of course to the "slide show" culture of having a 1-page article spread over 12 pages. I don't understand and have never understood why sites do that. Is that a generational thing? Do kids these days just love clicking "next page"?

BR are employing some good, serious writers now. And that Greenberg article shows that it's perfectly possible for them to publish articles all on one page. Snowden's Shield article was pretty good too. No reason why it couldn't have all been on one page like Greenberg's article either. If they did a tiny bit more of that sort of stuff, and allowed their more insightful contributors a space to write at length, all on one page and not in these awful "slide shows", then there's no reason why it couldn't gradually improve as a site.

A lot of my problems with it traditionally have been the shallowness of their top 25 lists and this slide show business. Good knowledgeable writers fix the first one, seemingly the latter is not set in stone.

I think the biggest problem with The Shield is they've kind of killed the mystery off by having them on TV so much. One of the reasons they got over as much as they did was they were mysterious and creepy and would just show up whenever they felt like it. They're still having awesome matches on TV, and they're still over, but the whole mystique kind of went out the window for me the more they started wrestling in matches on TV.

Which was inevitable, but, they could have done a better job with it

At least as a trio they're being kept strong. They should never lose a 6 man tag without good reason and build up behind it. That means Daniel Bryan has to be the guy that beats The Shield, which is what I think they are trying to build to, but who the f knows with this company

I pretty much agree with this.

It hasn't been perfect, but The Shield have been booked strong by modern day WWE standards. And way better than any of us could have imagined.

All 3 guys have done great in their role. WWE need to get over their fixation with jobbing out guys who get over and need

to pay their due's and actually the push the guys who get over.

Yeah there is always going to be some primmadonnas. But the territories and WCW & ECW are dead. TNA and ROH are not cutting the mustard. There's no one left to really pouch talent from.Their going to have to build their own.