Pro Wrestling Only

Crowdsourcing: The Shield

evilclown

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you have to have principles

I wouldn't read or write for them if they offered me a million bucks. I spit on that website.

You can justify if however you want, but that is a horrible website. Hope the $$$ is good.

Noted, for the next time someone accuses me of being the king of hyperbole

Sometimes you have to have principles

I wouldn't read or write for them if they offered me a million bucks. I spit on that website.

You can justify if however you want, but that is a horrible website. Hope the $$$ is good.

Noted, for the next time someone accuses me of being the king of hyperbole

I don't read that site and I would never write for them

what is hyperbolic about that?

because I read and write at PWO?

As much as I still have a distaste for the site, I think BR has been improving of late. That Savage article by Keith Greenberg, for example, was a substantial piece of investigative writing. And -- for whatever reason -- they allowed him make it look like it had been written by an adult rather than an ADHD-addled 6 year old. I am referring of course to the "slide show" culture of having a 1-page article spread over 12 pages. I don't understand and have never understood why sites do that. Is that a generational thing? Do kids these days just love clicking "next page"?

BR are employing some good, serious writers now. And that Greenberg article shows that it's perfectly possible for them to publish articles all on one page. Snowden's Shield article was pretty good too. No reason why it couldn't have all been on one page like Greenberg's article either. If they did a tiny bit more of that sort of stuff, and allowed their more insightful contributors a space to write at length, all on one page and not in these awful "slide shows", then there's no reason why it couldn't gradually improve as a site.

A lot of my problems with it traditionally have been the shallowness of their top 25 lists and this slide show business. Good knowledgeable writers fix the first one, seemingly the latter is not set in stone.

People like list articles. Slideshows happen to be the best method for delivering list articles in the content management systems used by BR and many other sites. The big exceptions I can think of are Cracked and AV Club. Slideshows are encouraged because they do well, not because it's a big page view boosting scam. Even for non-list content, I think it can work fairly well with the right piece (like Snowden's weekly segment by segment "Raw Report Card"). And like I've said before: BR has by far the best slideshow interface of any site I've used. On most sites I have to wait for a new page to load, but on BR the next slide loads instantly and seamlessly.

If anyone wants to criticize specific writers, specific articles that they felt were embarrassing to be featured, etc, then that's fine. I get why the site can be divisive and that there's not much middle ground as far as how people feel about it. The generalizations, exaggerations (ONE MILLION DOLLARS), slideshow format criticisms from people who seem like they haven't actually read any on BR, and weirdly mean spirited personal insults (again, ONE MILLION DOLLARS), etc. are what I don't really understand at all.

The fact that you almost certainly would take a million dollars to write an article for BR.

No, I wouldn't.

Some of us still live by the rules.

You couldn't pay me just to read that website. I'd probably stab my eyes out first.

The fact that you almost certainly would take a million dollars to write an article for BR.

No, I wouldn't.

You couldn't pay me just to read that website. I'd probably stab my eyes out first.

Rules? What rules?

If you wouldn't take a million dollars to read BR you are either independently wealthy, the most obstinate person on the planet or completely insane.

No, I wouldn't.

It seems likely you won't get an offer to write for our site. Or any site. So take comfort in that.

slideshow format criticisms from people who seem like they haven't actually read any on BR

I've read plenty of slideshow articles on BR. They are often your first hit on google and on occasion can be okay. I just don't like slideshows. If the rest of the world loves them and that's been proven, then I'm happy to be an outlier on that. I'm a fuddy duddy curmudgeon about a good many things, it's nothing new. I like articles all to be in one page, like how most newspapers lay out their articles online. I think the slideshow format is overly fussy and irritating. But that's just me.

Give me a million pounds though I'll click "next slide" all day if you want :)

yeah, they probably do

look, this is stupid. I hate that website, and some of y'all apparently like it/read it/write on it whatever

call it a draw

I'm pretty indifferent to the site and don't read it unless Bix or someone else links me to something there.

I just think it's utterly insane to claim you wouldn't take a million dollars to READ a sports website.

Back to the subject at hand, but watching The Shield tonight on SD it is interesting how they appear to be being used as a backdrop for Kane/Bryan split. I don't even have a problem with it per se, but putting Ambrose opposite Orton scares the shit out of me even if I think he's the most sensible guy for Ambrose to feud with