Pro Wrestling Only

Roddy Piper

JerryvonKramer

At the time, I hated Piper on commentary, at least once he became a typical babyface asskisser--the feisty Piper at SummerSlam '90 I enjoyed a great deal.

As a worker, he was better than I remembered, though he wasn't working a full schedule and that probably was a factor. His strikes weren't that good-looking but his matches were full of energy with almost no downtime. His MSG match with Perfect was the best WWF match of 1990, and it wasn't a fluke because they had a killer match at a house show I saw at around the same time.

I won't call myself a big Piper fan, but up until his 1992 departure he generally added to any segment he was in as an interview or a worker.

When I was watching a lot of WWF stuff a while back, the Piper stuff was shockingly good, vastly better than I was expecting. I also think his Portland stuff is good, though working with Buddy helps everyone. Still I think Piper is like Michael Hayes - a guy people called a limited/shit worker who was good on the stick for years because of things people in the business said and/or because they didn't have flawless execution all the time. In general I think both guys were very good workers during their peak years. If I were to ever do a top 100 again, Piper would have a good shot at making it

I don't want to jump the gun on the Yearbook, but honestly Piper just did my nut in as a kid and I never liked his scrappy style in the ring, so was curious what his rep as a face is currently.

I will be going through the 1990 yearbook soonish. My sluggish journey through AWA is almost done.

It's possible that Piper may turn out to be a Ron Garvin-style total u-turn from me. We'll see.

If anyone has suggestions not on the yearbooks, though, I will check them out.

It's possible that Piper may turn out to be a Ron Garvin-style total u-turn from me. We'll see.

I didn't ever like his stuff on the mic or in the ring as a heel or face in the 80's and 90's.

Going back through the 80's WWF stuff the past few years I liked him quite a bit better. Not enough to do a complete u-turn, maybe half - an "r-turn". He's a lot better in the ring than I previously gave him credit for, but I still can't really get into too much of his stuff, aside from the dog collar match.

I don't want to jump the gun on the Yearbook, but honestly Piper just did my nut in as a kid and I never liked his scrappy style in the ring, so was curious what his rep as a face is currently.

I will be going through the 1990 yearbook soonish. My sluggish journey through AWA is almost done.

If anyone has suggestions not on the yearbooks, though, I will check them out.

There's a Piper/Orton vs Orndorff/Andre tag i like.

His MSG match with Perfect was the best WWF match of 1990

H'mm really? Better than Powers/Rockers from January MSG show. I have the match up on another pager now(12/28/90 I hope). Nothing can beat Hogan/Warrior I for '90 WWE for me personally, since it was MY match as a small child. & Made me a fan for life but I'm always down for some new Piper.

I celebrate the guy's whole career(Like Michael Bolton in 'Office Space' type deal). Of course his best stuff is Portland, The JCP stuff & his first WWE run('84-'87) but since we're talking post 'Mania 3 retirement...

First off I love Mountie-Piper @ Rumble 92 when Piper takes the IC strap. It was such a special moment for Piper AND the fans more importantly. Back when their were only 2 recognized singles belts and they meant SO much to us marks. 2nd Bret-Piper from 'Mania 8 is by far his best match. 3rd atcually liked him as a color commentator but as said above his best color performance was Summerslam '90 when he just spoke his mind & didn't kiss ass (which is just what they needed when Ventura took off).

I may be alone but I actually liked the brawling portions of the 'Mania 12 Backlot brawl. I always like these 'setting' matches. Of course the OJ Bronco stuff was dumb & was a big MISS. But it was classic Piper brawling & he got a great pop. I know they were going with the 'New Generation' but in '96 Piper was still a draw & he proved that in WCW in December and on into '97. I'm not saying he should have got the WWE strap that year but I think a crazy brawling feud with Mankind & 1 last shot at the WWE title @ Series '96 in MSG vs. Michaels could have drawn some money.(The Shawn feud could have been half jealousy/Gold envy and half to 'toughen' up Shawn and give him an edge).

And believe it or not I liked WCW Piper too. Mostly he was just fun to have around but he really held his own in the promo sparring with Hogan(guess that's not suprising but I really liked the feud, too bad the matches were wretched). Also I saw Havoc '97 live in Vegas(my 1st of 2 live shows ever, only WCW show. That match was badd but the cage was a spectacle worth seeing & Savages axe handle from 20 feet was amazing(great all around PPV btw).

His best WCW match by far was with Ric Flair @ Bash at the Beach '97. It's a sleeper hit to me. I saw someone in the "Death of Nitro" or whatever marathon review thread give props to Piper-Flair from Slamboree '99 being a fun veteran brawl but the '97 version is vastly superior with all kinds of chops & nutshots and the crowd way into it.

Piper could be outstanding at times in Portland and very good a lot of times in WWF up to his retirement tour in 87. I find him to be one of the best sprint match wrestlers I've ever seen because he was so intense, had incredible charisma, and was a fucking awesome brawler. When he came back, he has a few good moments but he never reached the same level he had during the Rock N Wrestling era.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Piper vs Rip Rogers popped up on youtube this week. I suggest everyone check it out. It's only 7 minutes or so but I think it's great. There's also a Battle Royal with Piper from later in that same night where you can really see what made him special in 1980. The promo in between the two is very solid too.

• 4 weeks later...

The boxing match with Mr. T was one of the worst things ever done in a wrestling ring, but Piper's promo on the Coliseum tape is probably one of my favorite-ever promos.

I agree that a Roddy/Shawn feud would have been good business in '92. I seem to recall them having a match right before VIII. Kind of sucks that he left right after WM that year, he could have helped things go along more smoothly after Hogan left.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the Piper vs Wiskowski match from 80 that just popped up (which is, by the way, way better than the Martel vs Wiskowski match from the same year), I really wish we had a decent run of Piper in AWA in the early 80s. It was a style that was so good at using a hold for a base and Piper was just excellent of working up out of holds with hope spots to build up his comeback as a babyface. I think Piper's 1980 might be one of the best babyface years of the 80s.