Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-01-06-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels and Sid

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

I hated how they couldn't figure out if Sid was a face or a heel during this time. He tells us "You have to kick, or be kickened" and cuts his typical Sid promo that his fans love. Shawn comes out to do commentary after Sid issues a few words of warning and responds by taking off his trench coat to show the world he's shirtless. Wow, the first half of the year with babyface Shawn is going to be brutal. This segment shows the problem with him in that role better than any other example I can think of.

I was at this show (a mass taping at the end of December 96). Sid power bombing Lothario was not shown on camera so nobody had any idea what was going on. I think the lack of crowd reaction for this and the Vader/Bret stuff was that the crowd was burnt out having to sit through a 4 hour taping. Near the end it was complete silence. Undertaker didn't even get a reaction

Sid gives a pretty awful promo hyping the match. He is getting some cheers here and Vince even mentions how MSG went wild for him. As bad as Cena gets skewered in modern times, I cant imagine the reaction to this babyface Michaels act if the internet was more prevalent .

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

"When I was born, I was born the man" is such a cool and awesome line.

Indeed. But the rest of the promo was such a mess. How many grammatical errors there ?

And Shawn. Well, DX couldn't come soon enough, really, when you think about it. At least, the heel turn.

• 3 weeks later...

"When I was born, I was born the man" is such a cool and awesome line.

Indeed. But the rest of the promo was such a mess. How many grammatical errors there ?

"You have to kick, or be kickin'!" Or was it, "You have to kick, or be kicken!"? Maybe he was going for some Middle English type effect. Sid's promo is a total mess saying almost nothing of note and stumbling through his rote phrases. Shawn comes out and strips for us, and teases/threatens to take his pants off as we cut to commercial.

• 1 year later...

Sid is great here. He's still a tweener, but that ends at the conclusion of this show. I liked his promo though. He got in a couple of good lines. Shawn sucks the fun out of this segment by dancing on the announce table like a fucking moron. Sid reacting by laughing & saying he's going to apologize for what he was about to do is weird. Odd segment following the promo.

• 1 month later...

When SID was born, HE WAS BORN THE MAN!!! SID has been the best character in WWF. Total proto-Stone Cold while Stone Cold is right there. Shawn dancing on table is the bullshit that Shawn haters hate the most But all those people have huge sticks up theirs asses. Shawn was out to prove he didn't give a fuck but in doing so he clearly did give a fuck. So did Bret. The problem isn't that they were so different it is that they are both really similar in that are very sensitive men. Shawn was being a try hard. SID doesn't give a fuck and HE IS THE MASTER & THE RULER OF THE WORLD!!!

• GSR changed the title to [1997-01-06-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels and Sid
  • 5 months later...

"You have to kick...or be kicken! You have to hit...or be hitten!" Sid talking about the ring being what he refers to as the dying field and how he was born the man and fuck it, how can you not get a kick out of Sid? Just all over the place and crazy as shit. His reaction to Michaels doing the striptease was tremendous and it was no wonder he was routinely being cheered over Shawn. We're entering that real obnoxious stage of babyface Michaels and I'm honestly quite hyped to see it play out again. I welcome it.