Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-01-11-ECW-TV] Raven and The Sandman

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Raven cuts an actual wrestling promo and calls out Sandman for a brawl. This turns into kind of an impromptu match. They end up brawling through the building by the gimmick table. They end up in the BWO locker room. Stevie gets pushed out of the way when he tries to cheer Raven on, and that point is played up big on commentary. Sandman comes out of the locker room now wearing a BWO t-shirt and the brawl continues through the building and eventually back into the ring. I was surprised at how much I liked this segment, but the shirt was never explained.

• 3 weeks later...

This goes on incredibly long which is unfortunate because the brawl didn’t look too bad and the building provided kind of a unique setting for it. Sandman and Raven go into the BWO locker room. Raven comes out the other end and the cameras follow him. When Sandman emerges a few seconds later, he is wearing a BWO shirt. I think it was supposed to be inane and absurd like in a Bugs Bunny cartoon when Bugs gets into a fight, it turns into a swirl of dust, and emerges while the other guy continues to fight himself (or someone else).

• 1 year later...

This goes on too long and more than that takes too long to get to the meat of this segment, which is the brawling in the souvenir stand, hallway, and locker room, which was really cool. Raven shoves Stevie during the brawl and Sandman later emerges from their locker room with a BWO shirt--I believe the Richards babyface turn is underway, and clearly the explanation is something they're teasing and saving for another show. Both guys end up laid out in the ring, the "match" sort of a draw. Parts of this were enjoyable but they really needed to go straight into the crowd and dispense with the token "opening" portion.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-01-11-ECW-TV] Raven and The Sandman
  • 5 months later...

Yeah, this got a bit long in the tooth, but I grew into it more than I figured considering how little I give a shit about Raven. Sandman was sure leaning into a few of those wall shots and at one point I thought for sure he was taking a head dive down a set of stairs (or a bigger head dive, I guess). Soup's Parks and Rec observation about the building is a tremendous shout, btw.