Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-01-18-USWA-TV] PG-13 vs Flash Flanagan & Steven Dunn

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Nice old school studio tag match, and while 1997 has other great things going for it, I don't expect to see too many more matches, if any, like this in 1997. Another good example of what you get from a heel PG-13 with their typical style of doing standard Southern tag finishes as false finishes. Good stuff.

• 1 year later...

Oh God, the black WMC fans all throwing up the raised fists at PG-13 is too much. This is almost as good as the Snowman angle as far as Memphis race relations in wrestling go. Really good studio tag match showing that PG-13 are still the '90s masters of the style. Dunn's along for the ride and Flanagan has a few '90s moves in his arsenal to keep this interesting. Lots of false finishes and run-ins until an old lady hands Wolfie D a cane which he uses to clobber Flanagan and bring the tag belts back to PG-13. That's not Mae Young, is it??!

Also, the USWA's ideas of black men names are fantastic. NOD member Tracy Smothers is now "Shaquille Ali." Reggie B. Fine is now "Kareem Olajuwon." Miss Texas is "Queen Moesha." Had the USWA held on we'd probably get TD Steel repackaged as Lebron Mutombo, or Mark Henry as Asante Ewing.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-01-18-USWA-TV] PG-13 vs Flash Flanagan & Steven Dunn
  • 5 months later...

I absolutely lost it when they namedropped Kareem Olajuwon. 

This was a lot of fun and PG-13 looked pretty great doing their thing.  I was expecting some sort of fuck finish about two minutes in, but they kept things rolling and then teased about four various Memphis staple finishes at the end. My first thought when I saw the old lady with the walking stick was that it was Moolah playing a blind woman. Then I figured it was Jamie Dundee's mama. Both were wrong but the latter was at least close.