Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-01-20-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart and Steve Austin

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Bret is none too happy with the results of the Royal Rumble. He starts rattling off conspiracy theories involving Shawn Michaels, and it still shocks me on that Montreal timeline that Bret wasn't even approached about turning heel until March 10, because he's awfully whiny here. He's upset that he can't get any justice, and says he's been screwed by Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, the WWF and even Vince McMahon. Therefore, he quits.

Vince pleads with Bret to stay as he exits through the crowd. They are still on his side at this point, chanting "We Want Bret!"

Steve Austin is out with a few things to say about this, but his mic isn't working. Austin gets some cheers and tells the fans to knock it off. Austin was supposed to face Sid tonight, but he's home nursing a concussion. He wants to tell Gorilla Monsoon where to stick bananas and says he's happy to face Undertaker tonight. This is a hot promo.

This is when the WWF really felt like the 1997 WWF we all love and remember.

Bret gives a great scalding promo where he brings up a lot of truth in what he says and really tows the line between sounding convicted and whiny at this point. This is of course the great I've been screwed promo and then he quits on the spot. Vince is dejected and pleads with him.

Austin ranting and raving about the mic is great. he has a great rebuttal. "Ever since you came back, you aint down nothing but cry." Austin can't face Sid tonight because he has a concussion. Great start to the show.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is Bret! He has got something to say. Has some words for Vince McMahon. Bret has had it with the actions of Michaels and Austin. Always got a kick out of Bret referring to Michaels as the Boy Toy. "Where is my opportunity?" Bret has been screwed by Shawn Michaels. He has been screwed by Steve Austin. He has been screwed by World Wrestling Federation. He has been screwed by Vince McMahon. Fascinating to watch and it is only January. Bret quits! Yes, some whining by Bret but still has the fans mostly behind him. Austin makes a quick appearance after to take some shots at Bret.

• 1 year later...

If you have to pinpoint where things really turned into the right direction, this is it. Classic promo from Bret, the first "I've been screwed by you" mention ever, Austin looking dangerously like the hottest thing in the company on the mic. And JR wearing his cowboy hat for the first time on RAW (he wore it on Shotgun the Saturday before). Yes, this is when RAW became hot.

• 3 weeks later...

Bret raises some strong points, but couches in a few whiny moments like, "Oh, you only have to beat 29 OTHER GUYS to get another title shot." Fabulous promo. Bret's "...so I quit" hits you like a punch to the gut, as does his walkout with no one on commentary and Vince chasing after him. Then just when it looks like we're going to commercial, Austin is out to run Bret down just as effectively as Bret ran down the WWF. "The bottom line, son, is when the goin' gets tough, the Harts get goin'...BACK HOME." Then a "knock it off" at the fans who dare to cheer for him--fantastic. Austin rips into Monsoon, Sid, the Undertaker, and even Howard Finkle in the span of about 45 seconds. This definitely feels like a turning point in the booking and the "feel" of Raw.

JR hypes up the 60,525 fans at the AlamoDome. Pretty telling that they couldn't even kayfabe the 75,000 figure they were throwing around in advance of the show. Still, considering where the WWF was in 1994 and '95 that's a hell of a gate.

• 1 year later...

Great segment. Bret comes out & gives a lashing to Vince & the WWF over the controversies he's dealt with since coming back. What makes this Bret turn so great is his anger & frustration is justified. He IS getting screwed out of the WWF title. Bret quits & walks out on Vince through the crowd. Vince is distraught & tries to dissuade Bret from leaving. Vince is great during all of this. Austin shows up & cuts an amazing promo on Bret, Sid (who was his original opponent but is sidelined with a concussion) The Undertaker, & Gorilla Monsoon. The fans are loving it. This is about the best way to start things off after the controversial Rumble. Tremendous stuff.

• 1 month later...

Watched every RAW since beginning of November of 97, I agree with EL-P this feels like the turning point. They put a lot of good pieces together in late 96 especially following the Nitro 95 paradigm of everyone out for themselves. I think they put Bret, Shawn & Sid in a great place with Taker, Vader & Austin on the periphery. Everybody hates everybody and they are all unique characters. This is nonlinear booking is very un-WWF-like but makes for much better TV in my opinion. I will say WWF is still not as great at it as Dusty was in 86 Crockett or Mid-South in the 80s. But at least they are trying. Bret's promo is great here. Just spewing fire about how he keeps getting screwed by everyone. The Royal Rumble 97 finish was really brilliant stuff. Austin sounds and acts like the most dangerous man in wrestling this side of '97 Macho Man Randy Savage. Guess what folks they did all this in TEN MINUTES!!! TEN MINUTES!!! Please, please end 15-20 minute promo. Especially the ones where they talk back and forth, those are terrible! Great stuff here.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-01-20-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart and Steve Austin
  • 6 months later...

This was an excellent segment. It along with big brawl to close the show feels like some of the best out of the ring stuff they've had in the show's run up to this point. Also echoing the others in thinking this really felt like a launchpad for them to really get their shit together and start competing with WCW and the red hot nWo. Bret didn't really seem that whiny to me here; if anything he seems entirely justified in being angry. Then again, taking his ball and going home was a bit whiny. Austin's promo was tremendous and he has about twelve absolute zingers. "Son, you better get me some equipment that works or I'm gon' whip your ass." 

• 1 year later...