Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-02-16-NJPW] Jushin Liger vs Koji Kanemoto

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

These Liger matches seem to be about drawing a line in the booking sand. Liger bested Otani just a week before this match, and he, along with Takaiwa and Jericho are at ringside in support of Kanemoto. What this series does is show the achilles heel of each of the young guys trying to knock Liger off of the throne. For Otani, it was that he could earn a win, but wouldn't take it when the time came because he couldn't keep his emotions in check. For Kanemoto, it's that he's so brash and forgets that eventually, everything you do to Liger will be done to you tenfold. I thought this was a good match within the context of the feud. It did have some problems. After seeing Liger so firmly reinforced as The Man just a week before, I thought he gave way too much of this match to Kanemoto -- the early matwork, the highspots and probably one or two too many kickouts. I can't fault it too much because I think it was done in the interest of getting over the Liger & Co vs Otani & Co feud, with everyone being a worthy part of it. But I still think it was too much too soon. Kanemoto does have some great highflying offense and I think he's really good at projecting himself as a star, but I think this match was held back by being laid out too predictably. OJ has talked about Misawa being a selling champion who fights from underneath, and that's how Liger worked this match. He got the win decisively, but I wish he had taken more along the way for himself. Until the last minute or two, Kanemoto felt like his equal, and that's something that needed to play out a lot longer. Anyway, my problems with this match are more related to the booking than the ring work, which was excellent, just as you'd expect. It had a hot finishing stretch. It wasn't a great match, but I don't think it needed to be at this point. Liger vs Kanemoto was something that could have had legs for a couple of years if played right.

What I mean is in building up Kanemoto as Liger's successor. I agree that it was a rivalry that they were able to run with for years, but I think Otani and Kanemoto both had potential as hierarchy threats instead of just new Liger opponents. They should have been treated as a step above Samurai, Pegasus, Honaga, Sasuke, etc. Did fans see Otani and Kanemoto as on Liger's level at any point? It does seem like fans saw the two of them as a cut above other juniors, even if they were a step below Liger. I realize that I'm looking at this through the perspective of an American fan who enjoys great matches instead of a Japanese fan who lived through this at the time. I just see potential for a torch passing to Otani, with Kanemoto moving into the top rival spot against Otani, and Liger feuding with Takaiwa under that in an attempt to slowly build him up as an eventual top star in the division too. There is a lot of talent in this division at this point, and I like thinking about the possibilities. I like El Samurai, but he wasn't a star, and even Takaiwa had no business jobbing to him at this point.

Never loved the pairing, but this was an excellent match. Kanemoto almost tried to punk Liger in the early going, acting cocky and swarming him with kicks whenever he tried to get up. I didn't think Liger was overly giving. Kanemoto had been a major rival for two years, and Liger had looked ready to go down only a week earlier against Koji's tag partner. This match was a cool demonstration of how Liger had come to use the palm strike as Misawa did the elbow. It was not only a potential finisher but his go-to when he needed to reset the action. In the end, Liger put Kanemoto away pretty decisively and looked great doing it.

I thought this was pretty awesome when I last watched it about four years ago. I'm actually looking forward to re-watching this more than I am the Liger/Ohtani match.

Is this in full, btw? Only version I've ever seen was JIP, and as far as I was aware that was the only version that existed.

What I mean is in building up Kanemoto as Liger's successor. I agree that it was a rivalry that they were able to run with for years, but I think Otani and Kanemoto both had potential as hierarchy threats instead of just new Liger opponents. They should have been treated as a step above Samurai, Pegasus, Honaga, Sasuke, etc.

That's kind of how they were treated: they were the next generation chasing Liger's spot. Saskue was a peer from outside. Sammy and Pegasus were creations of Liger's. Koji and Shinji were clearly the next generation.

Did fans see Otani and Kanemoto as on Liger's level at any point?

Depends on how one defines "on Liger's level". It's a bit like whether Misawa was on Jumbo's level, or just the young rival chasing him. He did beat Jumbo, but then again... Koji beat Liger several times.

That's what Liger evolved into: he was the Jumbo of that division. He dropped the title, but eventually got it back from May 1989 through July 2000. Koji had three reigns in there, including one over Liger. Shinji had a reign in there as well.

Did they get to Liger's "Jumbo Level"? Not while Liger was there, just like Misawa didn't. After Liger moved on, the division became Kanemoto and Tiger Mask IV's. In that sense, he got there. Shinji moved on with Hash to Zero-1.

It does seem like fans saw the two of them as a cut above other juniors, even if they were a step below Liger.

Everyone was a cut below Liger. He was the King.

But Koji was the one given the IWGP in the year when Liger was out in 1995. He beat like on a 1993 Dome show, and paid it back on a 1994 Dome show. He beat Liger when he returned at the end of 1995 before dropping the title to him on the 01/04/96 Dome show. After Liger used the balance of 1996 to put over the J Crown, and deal with his own brain tumor, 1997 started with Liger essentially re-establishing himself as the King of the Juniors: get his win back again Dragon at the January Dome (payback to the loss in the J Crown tourny), go over The Punks in February, show the J Crown was defended against guys from other feds against Motegi, get his win back over Sasauke at the April Dome (payback for dropping the title to Sasuke at the prior April's Dome). Then he'd put over Sammy for the belt so that Sammy could put over Ohtani for Shinji's first reign (similar to Jumbo --> Hansen --> Misawa & Misawa --> Doc --> Kawada & Misawa --> Taue --> Kobashi to string out the younger/lesser guy's chase).

I realize that I'm looking at this through the perspective of an American fan who enjoys great matches instead of a Japanese fan who lived through this at the time. I just see potential for a torch passing to Otani, with Kanemoto moving into the top rival spot against Otani, and Liger feuding with Takaiwa under that in an attempt to slowly build him up as an eventual top star in the division too.

Which is kind of what Liger was doing. But we need to remember:

* Ohtani didn't step up until 1995 as a pushed Jr

* 1995 was also the point where Koji really came into his own after earlier flopping

It's 1997. This is Liger's second cycle of defending against these guys, after doing it in 1996.

Misawa's first defense against Kawada was 1992. Right now at this point in the year, Kawada was still 0-for-Life against Misawa in singles matches. :)

Misawa's first title defense against Kobashi was in 1995. A month earlier from this match, Kobashi went back down to defeat, and if there is one thing that becomes clear as 1997 goes on... it's that Kobashi isn't at Misawa's level year. He's still chasing (and would be until the next century).

So this is still fairly early in the rivalry. There were Liger-Kanemoto matches prior to Liger's 1994 injury, but the ones of note were under the Tiger Mask... and really failed. The rivalry didn't start in earnest until 1996, when it more clearly became Liger & Sammy & Older Goats vs Koji & Shinji & Young Punks. This is really early.

As far as how it worked...

Ohtani's reign later in the year didn't take off like folks expected. Disappointing. Koji stayed strong and was pushed, but come early 1998, the belt went back on Liger and he had two long runs with it (ignoring the WCW bullshit) before moving out of the division. Koji had one long run in there, while Ohtani never got the belt back.

There is a lot of talent in this division at this point, and I like thinking about the possibilities. I like El Samurai, but he wasn't a star, and even Takaiwa had no business jobbing to him at this point.

The possibilities were interesting at this point. They just kind of played out over the course of the next year, and by a year from now, the belt was back with Liger and one felt a lot less comfortable with the kids... unless one loved goofy spotfests like Koji-Sammy (later this year) and Koji-Wagner (the following year). 1996 through early/mid-1997 was a moment that I don't think they matched. Again, unless one likes spot matches. The test for you is the Sammy-Koji from later in the year, and to ponder them relative to these two and the relative sanity Liger gave them.

I don't like comparing New Japan juniors booking to All Japan heavies booking. This is a midcard title and that long of a chase for something that isn't scratching the main event scene feels like overkill.

If we're doing fantasy booking, Ultimo could have held the J Crown until either the Tokyo Dome show or 2/9, dropped it to Otani (where Otani would avenge his J Crown loss), and Otani could have finally crossed paths with Liger in October in his biggest test to date. Liger could have spent the year after returning from his brain tumor re-establishing himself. He works all year to return to top form and finally gets his shot in October to prove that he's as good as he ever was. Meanwhile, Otani has successful defenses against Kanemoto, Sasuke, Takaiwa, Samurai and everyone else Liger faced during his title run.

I don't like comparing New Japan juniors booking to All Japan heavies booking. This is a midcard title and that long of a chase for something that isn't scratching the main event scene feels like overkill.

Fuchi-Kikuchi for the PWF Title started in 1990. Kikuchi didn't get the title until 1996 when it was too late. But even the "right time" for it was still 2/93.

This didn't even get stretched out that long. Liger defended against Shinji in early 1996. He defended it in early 1997. Shinji got the title later in the year, and got to beat Liger to boot (ignoring those prior wins that both Koji and Shinji had over Liger... which Kikuchi didn't even get). Less than two years.

This isn't even as long as it took Aja to get the title, which she started chasing in 1990 and got at the end of 1992.

If we're doing fantasy booking, Ultimo could have held the J Crown until February, dropped it to Otani (where Otani would avenge his J Crown loss), and Otani could have finally crossed paths with Liger in October in his biggest test to date. Liger could have spent the year after returning from his brain tumor re-establishing himself. He works all year to return to top form and finally gets his shot in October to prove that he's as good as he ever was.

The point of the J Crown was to establish it as the uber jr title. The Three Kings (Liger, Sasuke and Dragon) established it by winning it, and then passing it around from August to January. It certainly was over by that point as a BFD among junior titles. Now some one to prove they could knock them off.

This actually was a nice change of pace from the usual NJPW Jr. title changes with Liger:

08/10/89 Liger-Sano (2nd Sano challenge - 1 month)

03/19/90 Liger-Pegasus (2nd Pegasus challenge - 5 months)

04/30/91 Liger-Honaga (1st Honaga challenge)

08/09/91 Liger-Nogami (2nd Nogami challenge - 5 months)

06/26/92 Liger-Samurai (2nd Samurai challenge - 1 month)

None of those guys challenged prior to challenging Liger for the first time. Sano was brought in for Liger, and he "made" him. Pegasus and Sammy were "created" for Liger, and he made them. Honaga and Nogami were nothing and Liger attempted to make them. That's five times in the first three years he had the belt. No real chase of note.

Even with Sammy, he did the Tourney job first, then best him in the Final, then defended over him, then dropped the title to him. The whole thing played out in two months, and while Sammy and Liger had good matches after, there never was a lot of drama in them like that.

After that, he moved away from using the title that was and instead just made new guys:

05/03/93 Tiger Mask III over Liger (1st match between the two)

09/26/93 Black Tiger over Liger (1st match between the two)

04/16/94 Sasuke over Liger (1st match between the two)

The first two were repackages, the last an indy guy. Liger got his wins back in not a lot of time afterwards... often a few months.

Koji and Shinji chasing their first title wins over Liger, at this point just entering it's second year and only two losses each (For Koji the 01/04/96 title change and 02/16/97 challenge, and for Shinji the 03/17/96 and 02/09/97 challenges)... that really isn't long nor a lot of times being turned back.

On the Dragon-Ohtani title match, they gave Shinji's win in a title match a pretty big setting. Kind of cool on some level.

This has been very informative by the way, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it. I don't normally think of the booking of the New Japan juniors division being this slow-paced, which is why I am challenging it. For example, Liger feuded with Honaga in 1991-1992 and gave him wins. Liger feuded with Samurai in 1992 and traded wins with him too. There was no long delay. I see more potential in Otani as an heir, which is why seeing him lose more than Samurai and Honaga is a little frustrating.

When did Liger actually start booking? Is it possible that either someone else was booking the division in the early days, or maybe just that Liger improved with time? I'm just trying to understand what changed between 1991-1992 and 1996-1997, and also understand the mentality of beating someone with potential while giving Samurai and Honaga more wins.

What qualified Sasuke and Ultimo as "kings"? Especially Ultimo. Just curious.

They were the three biggest junior stars in Japan. Liger ran the division in New Japan. Dragon ran it in WAR. Sasuke ran it in MPro. No other junior divisions in Japan were terribly relevant, especially by 1996 since Busa moved up (and he never really was on the level of the other three as a jr). Liger was nice enough to throw Masayoshi Motegi a pair of challenges as a bone, and to get across the concept of the J Crown being defended across all sorts of promotions / wrestlers.

Gaijin like Pegasus were off in their own bucket, increasingly less relevant as time went by, and WCW taking up their time.

This has been very informative by the way, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it. I don't normally think of the booking of the New Japan juniors division being this slow-paced, which is why I am challenging it. For example, Liger feuded with Honaga in 1991-1992 and gave him wins. Liger feuded with Samurai in 1992 and traded wins with him too. There was no long delay. I see more potential in Otani as an heir, which is why seeing him lose more than Samurai and Honaga is a little frustrating.

I suspect that Liger saw a change. One could go out and get gaijin to spice things up in the 80s and early 90s. Honaga was someone a good deal older than Yamada, so it was largely throwing something at the wall... and he seemed to always like Honaga as something of an asssistant. Nogami was a peer. For all I know, he could have just been being nice to Nogami. He wasn't relevant afterwards: he never challenged for the title again, and never was in a Jr tourney after.

Koji and Otani were different: clearly the next generation, and Liger worked on them as such. Tatsuhito Takaiwa and got a shot later in the year, as did Tokimitsu Ishizawa / Kendo Kashin. He clearly was working towards the next batch of folks who would carry it, and seemed open to grabbing people who were available: Minoru Tanaka in 1999 and Tiger Mask IV in 2002.

When did Liger actually start booking?

Hard to say. Choshu got the overall company book around that time. Hard to tell how much he delegated and to where. Beats me if he had Hase helping or running it. I recall Honaga doing some of the early booking when Liger was out with the 1994-95 injury, but the push of Koji to the title wouldn't have happened without Liger making the call. Anyway, that tends to indicate that Honaga was also one of the guys helping Liger run it over the years to that point. So... who knows.

The pattern with Sano and Pegasus was pretty similar to each other. "New guy". Liger turns him back in the first challenge. Guy wins second challenge. Liger wins the blow off of the initial series. [They didn't come back to Sano since he left, while Pegasus was in the hunt for half a decade] The pattern indicates the same general person was handling it. It's different from earlier Jr booking in NJPW where you initially had dynastic champs (Fujinami and Tiger Mask and Cobra), then had something more akin to "runs" (Takada, Koshinaka, Hase) rather than quicky turn arounds. I'd call the first Shinma Booking (dynasties). I don't know who the second was.

Anyway, Liger-Casas in 12/26/90 was pretty much Yamada wanting him in. Right after that we get the tourney getting fixed as being annual and the Liger --> Honaga --> Liger --> Nogami --> Honaga --> Liger along with Liger's WCW Light Heavy run. That all seems to be very Yamada (as in trading wins and tossing bones), as does the Samurai stuff in 1992. As does pretty much everything after that for the rest of the decade.

If I had to hazard a guess, it was all his by 1991 (which some level of overview by folks up the chain), and that in 1989-90 he was earning his wings. It's likely that Choshu and Hase and Saito knew that Liger would never "grow out of" the division given his height, so it wasn't a place to "park" him for a push like it was for Fujinami and Takada, and Hase & Koshinaka to a lesser degree.

Is it possible that either someone else was booking the division in the early days, or maybe just that Liger improved with time?

Probably only that very early period of 1989-90.

I'm just trying to understand what changed between 1991-1992 and 1996-1997, and also understand the mentality of beating someone with potential while giving Samurai and Honaga more wins.

I think I covered that. Gaijin. Developing a younger generation. Also that generation looking like they might not move up. Koji wasn't big. Otani was downright skinny. That may have been some dojo choices as well: they had a group of guys pop out of the dojo that looked like Jr Lifers in addition to the guys who would clearly be porked/juiced up into heavies. That wasn't the case as much earlier. It's possible that's something Liger was involved in on the dojo level in terms of selecting candidates. You also had a generation of kids who grew up watching Tiger and Cobra and now Liger, so that may have drown in guys like Koji and Otani and the other mentioned. Deeper pool to draw from.

Anyway, when you start having a pool of natives who are going to stay in the pool, with a clear group of people who are older (like Liger and Sammy) and younger (Koji and Otani being the start of it), you kind of need to slow stuff down and not blow through things. In a sense your junior division becomes like your heavy division: you're going to have the same guys for quite some time. If you blow through something as quickly as you do Liger-Sammy, what are you going to be doing with these guys for the next 5 years... or 10 years.

The first of the Three Musketeers to beat Choshu was Hash on April 24, 1989 at the Dome.

The first major "honor" the Three Musketeers won was two years later: Chono won the G1.

Chono won it again the next year, along with the NWA Title.

Mutoh won the IWGP later in the same month in 1992.

Hash finally won the IWGP title in 1993, four years after is first win over Choshu.

When you know you're going to have Chono and Mutoh and Hash following behind Choshu and Fujinami, and that they're going to be around for a decade (if you're lucky as a promoter), you need to parse stuff out.

All Japan was too slow on some stuff. I don't think as much on Kobashi, since some of his felt pushed too quickly. But certainly on Misawa-Kawada.

In turn, New Japan threw out Big Wins left and right, but looked for other ways to show milestones: Hash had singles wins over Choshu in 1989, 1990 and 1991, but Choshu got those wins back. Hash chased the IWGP Title for four years, then was dominant when he got it. Still... he chased the G1 for 8 years (5 additional years after winning the IWGP) before finally getting it.

We'd seen a lot of Choshu-Hash matches, but they found ways to storyline them to the end: Choshu chasing his first G1 (with Hash not taking the 1991 Choshu "role), and then taking one last stab at the IWGP.

A more closed loop of a division forces that on you, or at least if you're smart forces you to think about it rather than just speed through booking.

Awesome informative thread.

This is only a few steps off from Otani vs. Liger to me and was great in its own right. I like that Kanemoto came out of the gate and overwhelmed Liger because a. he may be weakened from the match a week earlier and b. he saw how the beginning of that match was a stallmate in a lot of ways and he was determined not to do that. Liger reverses a lot of the matwork that Koji throws his way here but Koji clearly dominates almost all of this match. Liger's build to the palm strike was fantastic. I do think Liger shouldnt have kicked out of that offensive flurry ending in a Koji moonsault and afterwards we get a little too much of the nearfall exchange stuff but it was still done very well and this is a great compliment piece to Liger vs. Otani and a great match as a standalone.

• 3 weeks later...

Way too much Kanemoto during the early stages of the match. Liger was getting barely anything in and I wasn’t finding Kanemoto too interesting. Liger finally makes a come back and we get a much better back and forth between them. Really thought Kanemoto would get the win when he hit a series of big moves but didn’t connect clean on the Tiger Suplex. Lots of big moves towards the end.

• 1 year later...

I never had a problem with Kanemoto controlling the onset of the match--I just saw it as Liger not being 100% after the super-quick turnaround (by Japan title match standards) in defenses. It still definitely gets better as it goes along, with Kanemoto making some of the same mistakes Otani did, going to the well once too often on those moonsaults (and what gorgeous moonsaults they were). Quite a week for Liger and the NJPW juniors in general.

• 1 year later...

Did Liger just had two MOTYC in the same week ? I can see how someone would think Kanemoto took too much at the beginning, but really, Kanemoto beating the shit out of Liger made sense and built to the counter of all counters. Really, that missed/not missed moonsault welcomed by the mother of all shoteis is one of the best sequence I've ever seen for a comeback. And it turned into a bombfest like no other. Kanemoto was much higher on the totem pole than Ohtani and it showed, and at the end (and what ending !!) it's really that one match that made Liger finally look like the junior God that he was before. Awesome work by Liger and Kanemoto was quite the dick here too, with terrific timing and execution as always. Greaaaaaat.

• 5 weeks later...

Kanemoto took control from the outset and delivered a sustained beatdown. His kick-oriented offence wasn't the most inspiring, but Liger sold it well and the structure was sound. The rivalry was spicy as well. Jushin fought back and there were plenty of big moves and near falls down the stretch. The Junior ace reaffirms his status with the win. Good stuff.

• 4 months later...

J-Crown Champion Jushin "Thunder" Liger vs Koji Kanemoto - NJPW 2/16/97

Besides the 2009 Hayato match, I'm hard pressed to think of a better Kanemoto match or performance. He came to play in this match. You really felt that he was out to assert himself as the man even as Ohtani failed just a week before to fell the Man, the Myth, Legend, Jushin The Thunder Liger. I love how when Kanemoto gets Liger up on the ropes right the beginning there are no mind games, he just chops the hell out of him. Liger tries to match Kanemoto's early and Kanemoto just overwhelms him. Kanemoto proceeds to beat the living shit out of Liger. He is just rifling every part of Liger's body with sick, deadly kicks. If you love kicks, this match is for you as Kanemoto is absolutely on fire here. I just love that intensity and energy he is bringing. He is mostly focusing on the legs of Liger. Liger tries powdering after a cross armbreaker (no setup needed for that move, it is a match ender if applied), but he is met with more kicks. This is a thrashing but in a really compelling way. It feels like a team that had been living in the shadow of a better team for years and was just breaking free here. It was not just the kicks, it was how he pounced on him and started hammering Liger with fists. It was a Merciless Onslaught. I love Kanemoto giving him the finger in the figure-4! After the figure-4, I was like I feel like this needs a hope spot or they run the risk of going overboarding. Right on cue, Kanemoto is punching Liger in the corner and Liger throws him down with a powerbomb. Kanemoto roars back, but he is starting to get cocky. Notice how his energy level comes down and wants to humiliate Liger. He pins him with one hand. He grabs him by the horn. He is letting that chip on his shoulder get the best of him. Liger is really great selling all this. You really feel like he has nothing to give in this match.

Kanemoto goes for the moonsault. Liger moves. Kanemoto lands on feet. SHOTEI~! That was the mutha of all palm strikes. You can feel the relief in Liger's body as he hits and sort of exhales with his entire body. Like FINALLY I can catch my breath. Now lets got to work. He starts smacking Kanemoto around, Kanemoto charges dropkick to the knee. FIGURE-4! Great idea gives him a chance to breathe and really hurt Kanemoto. Liger is pissed and starts slapping Kanemoto. Kanemoto was an asshole this whole time. Kanemoto has a lot left in the tank and makes the ropes. LIGER THROWS Kanemoto down. Kanemoto gives Liger some serious side eye as he realizes he is squandering his lead. This is how the Falcons must have felt. The GOAT is telling him, Daddy's Home! Kanemoto tries to get something going on outside, but eats a Kappo Kick to the head and then a BRAINBUSTER ON THE CEMENT!

Exactly what Liger needed, head shots. Kanemoto sells this beautifully falling before he gets into the ring. The first misstep in my opinion was the belly to belly by Kanemoto into his twisting senton. He is selling the damage well. I think a Liger mistake would have made more sense to set this pass up. Liger clotheslines out of the corner. Basically, Liger is taking command of the match. Kanemoto is getting flurries now, but Liger feels like a runaway freight train. SUPER BRAINBUSTER!!! 1-2-NO! Great first nearfall!!! Liger is beside himself asking the ref is that really two. Liger keeps working. Top Rope Frankensteiner. Insane German suplex bump by Kanemoto. Liger is pouring it on. La Magistral Cradle. Kanemoto pops out at two, exclaiming two with two fingers. He cant believe it himself that he kicked out. He is exasperated. Diving Headbutt, NO FEET TO THE FACE! Great transition! This feels like Kanemoto's last chance. Great powerbomb by him! He signals to the crowd for Tiger Suplex. He throws him too far. He cant hold him!!! Big mistake? He hits the moonsault! Gets two! He does what any smart person would do. He tries again, but crashes and burns. He hurt his knee. They get up and slap exchange and SHOTEI~! RUNNING LIGER BOMB!!!! RUNNING SHOTEI!!! Liger's selling is off the charts right now! SUPER BRAINBUSTER!!!!! 1-2-3!

Incredible match, one of the best Juniors matches ever. The opening onslaught by Kanemoto is ferocious and you have no idea how Liger will make his comeback. It really comes down to the moonsault in this match. Kanemoto was ready to put Liger away and even though he landed on his feet he left himself open to SHOTEI~! The real key of this match is Liger's selling and body language. You can feel that he felt he was on the brink of defeat throughout the match. That game-changing Shotei felt like a big deal because Liger sold it like a big deal. After that Kanemoto put up a fight, but you noticed he was having a lot of trouble sustaining offense. He was getting stuff in because Liger was weakened, but there is a reason Liger is the GOAT because he can turn defense into offense like that. (I snapped my fingers, but you reading this could not hear that). Kanemoto sold pretty well himself. I loved that two out of La Magistral. It felt like he was trying to convince himself he still had a chance. I loved how he did get one more chance by a missed move the diving headbutt to the feet. That's the key. Liger is making that comeback, but he still has to win and when he eats the feet. Oh shit, maybe it is too little too late. Tiger Suplex-Moonsault is such a money false finish. Going for the moonsault was the absolute right call, but Liger moved. It really became who could win that strike exchange. The Shotei took it home for Liger. Running Liger Bomb, Running Shotei (the way Liger was running trying to exhort himself to finish the job) and Super Brainbuster to finish. Just scintillating. I know that Ohtani match is considered the crown jewel (I have seen it before and loved it), but damn if this was not expertly laid out and executed. ****3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1997-02-16-NJPW] Jushin Liger vs Koji Kanemoto
  • 4 weeks later...

Love a junior match that actually holds up. Holy lord Kanemoto was beating Liger like he owed him money early on. Kanemoto finding ways to kick Liger to a pulp from any position was really entertaining and better than the usual matwork opening. Of course Liger knows how to make a pissed off comeback (in this case by trying to explode Kanemotos spine with Powerbombs) and this soon turns into a total bombfest while main taining that sense of animosity and unpredictability. Agree completely about the greatness of Liger nearly taking Kanemotos head off in the corner with the unforgiving shotai. Satisfying match.

• 5 months later...

Well, I liked this way more than the Ohtani match. One of the very first comps I ever bought had the clipped up version of this on it and I remembered reading about it on the old DVDVRs. It sounded spectacular and was a bit of a dream match for me. Kanemoto was one of the first guys from Japan I became a fan of and Liger was maybe the very first, being familiar with him as I was from the WCW appearances and some old magazines. So naturally the eight or nine minutes I saw of it blew me away. I watched it again about ten years ago, probably the same JIP version, and still loved it. The full version isn't exactly a holy grail for me at this point and I never figured one would ever be made available anyway, but I guess New Japan decided to throw us Kanemoto fans a bone and drop the unedited version way back when. And hey, the full version was great! And those missing minutes added rather than detracted from the match!

It's not a perfect match by any stretch and there are some iffy parts. A few bombs could've been sold better, they could've made a little more of one or two elements, maybe the brief limb work could've had more of a payoff, that sort of thing. I think this being about eight minutes shorter than the Ohtani match kept me a little more engaged as well, and in general I thought they used their time better (though I understand that Ohtani and Liger probably needed longer to tell their story). This had some matwork in the first half, some targeting of Liger's knee and arm, but it was mostly Kanemoto kicking the shit out of Liger. Kanemoto never exactly worked over the knee and/or arm, he just briefly went to the kneebar or armbar in between those longer bouts of striking. Liger acknowledged that the arm was giving him some grief, but it wasn't the central focus of the first half and it was all the other grief Kanemoto was giving him that had him sweating. It's sort of amazing how a guy in a full bodysuit and ridiculous mask can be so expressive, but Liger is awesome at conveying the story through body language and his body language said "what the fuck am I even doing here?" He'd been put through the ringer a week earlier and straight from the bell he's being booted out of his costume. Isn't The Ace supposed to be given a break once in a while? Why be The Man if you can't flex some political muscle now and then? The first half is like 90% Kanemoto and even the moment where he basically no-sells a powerbomb didn't annoy me because it was the first bit of real offence Liger had mustered (and also it wasn't done on the floor). Plus for any questionable moment like that you get two or three awesome ones in return, like Kanemoto flipping Liger the bird mid-Figure Four or chucking him around by the horn on his mask. Or generally being a wee prick and punting him in the spine and such. I thought the transition into Liger's comeback was a much better bridge than what we got in the Ohtani match. Kanemoto comes off the top with a moonsault, Liger moves but Kanemoto lands on his feet, then Liger absolutely drills his nasal bone through his brain with the meanest shotei ever. This was just hideous and again it establishes the shotei as Liger's most reliable and lethal weapon. Liger is really awesome from here on out reasserting himself and repaying Kanemoto for all that horseshit earlier. The big spot on the floor here felt a hundred times bigger than the powerbomb in the Ohtani match as well, largely because Kanemoto milked the count out and only got back in the ring at 19 (and the concrete brainbuster itself looked wild to boot). Liger briefly going after Kanemoto's knee during the stretch run felt a touch out of place initially, but it had a payoff later as Kanemoto builds up another head of steam before missing a moonsault, and ends up being unable to quickly follow up because he dings the knee on landing. Liger using the shotei to set up the avalanche brainbuster was a great finish as well and there's that trusty palm strike getting him out of bother again.

I doubt this is even top 10 for the year, but it's a match I've always had a soft spot for, have fond memories of even reading about, and the full version totally delivered everything my teenage self could've wanted.