Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-02-17-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin and Bret Hart

Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The obsession that Austin has for Bret really gets played up and carried over here. He attacked Bret a the beginning of the show and when Bret was going to the ring. The backstage brawl was going good and I was going to praise Sid for rushing in and looking menacing but then he started throwing the worst punches I have ever seen and all that good will evaporated.

Gorilla in this era of WWF always looks out of context.

• 3 weeks later...

Austin attacks Bret backstage before Title match. Monsoon gives Bret more time to be ready for match. We will have this match tonight on show. Gorilla talks about they will deliver match unlike other wrestling groups. Monsoon being the voice of authority does seem out of place and he is struggling at being the best president since Noriega.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, Monsoon is rapidly becoming an anachronism--just thankful he's off commentary by this point, because I could see him absolutely ruining Austin in that role. Having two false starts for the title match is a neat way of attempting to hook viewers while taking advantage of the new 2-hour format.

• 1 year later...

Austin attacks Bret for a second time. Sid is pissed & runs to the back to get at Austin. Big pull apart brawl. I love how chaotic the show has become with Austin around. He's such a loose cannon. This Bret feud is awesome. Gorilla guarantess the title match will still happen. It looks like he was reading a from a screen.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-02-17-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin and Bret Hart
  • 6 months later...

Austin's obsession with Bret has him acting like an even bigger lunatic than usual, which of course rules. I kind of like how they're positioning Sid as more of a tweener in that he clearly wants no help from Austin because he's motherfucking Sid and doesn't NEED help from anyone. Gorilla's sly dig at WCW by promising to deliver on a match as advertised was pretty amusing.