Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-03-30-AJPW-Champion Carnival] Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty great action while it lasted. I wish we could see the entire thing, as the rivalry has become bigger than either of them individually at this point, if that makes any sense at all. I don't think a draw was telegraphed through the ringwork in any way, although I also don't think they really did anything to convince us that anything other than the probable result would be a possible result.

Darn... I see where some of the confusion is from, Loss:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?show...t=0&start=0

Ditch and I talked about the Kawada-Misawa on the first part, and I'd tossed out the Lynch # for the Sammy version. Over the next few pages, we bounced around other matches on the NTV vs Sammy vs Other Sources question... and Ditch and I focused on other matches. You tossed out a long AJPW list on page 4 which included it, and Ditch & I again focused on other matches, mostly ones that were tough to figure out. We even got Dan in to clarify the various sources. We just never talked about the Misawa-Kawada again. Argh... I just didn't think to go through that list match by match. My fault. :(

I don't recall how much aired on TV. Maybe the full version for the errata sets... though it does take up 30 minutes.

This was from Dan's 23-disc set of 1997 AJPW material that was available via the satellite version of NTV and Fighting TV Samurai:

DVD #6

AJ on NTV

5/16/97 (t. 3/30)

1. Naoki Sano/Masa Fuchi vs. Johnny Smith/The Tornado

2. Hansen vs. Ace

3. Kobashi vs. Akiyama

5/23/97 (t. 4/2)

1. Hayabusa/Tornado vs. Mossman/SHiga

2. Taue vs. Allbright

3. Misawa vs. Kawada

The 4/2 date is wrong, which I think ties into my comment on the first page that "Lynch Boot 851" had stiff messed up with everything being from 3/30.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the full version of this and it didn't do a hell of lot for me. Technically, it was very good, but it suffered from the same problem as a lot of the repeat match-ups in Japan in that there wasn't a lot left to be said. Of course, it was better than the rest of those match-ups and the finishing stretch was typically excellent, but Kawada kicks Misawa, Misawa elbows Kawada, Kawada can't beat Misawa, Misawa doesn't lose to Kawada, it was pretty redundant thematically.

Definitely check out the full version Loss. The opening is very interesting in that Kawada hits a backdrop driver within the first 2 minutes and Misawa does an awesome sell job regrouping on the outside and then clinging to the ropes until he can gather his bearings and fire off with an elbow. That plays the theme of the whole match and it really doesnt feel like they will go 30. Closing stretch was done well and the drama was there for me throughout.

Weren't their matches in Carnival automatic draws at this point? Nice sequence with Misawa trying to throw elbows but Kawada avoiding and hitting a German. Pretty good action from what is shown. It was believable here that Kawada could steal a victory with all the kicks. Another draw though. This Kawada guy will never beat Misawa. :) Full match seems worth checking out for me as this was really strong from what is shown.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The full version really adds to this as I thought the clipped version telegraphed the draw, whereas the hot start of the full version leads you to think they'll pull the trigger on a Kawada win. Definitely the better of the 2 Carny matches--they have elements of the "evenly matched" psychology pulled off so well in the '92 CC match between Kawada and Taue, but Toshiaki gets a few long stretches of offense both early and late to put him over, and by the end Misawa really seems to be on the ropes with Kawada having answers for most of his moves. Not a standout match in the rivalry but definitely an excellent bout in its own right.

• 1 year later...

Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada - Champions Carnival '97

6/3/94 is so fucking good that I think it overshadows every other Misawa/Kawada match which is unfair because they are pretty great together. This is one of the better 30 minute draws I have ever seen. Just hard hitting, brutal, straight forward, logical well-worked match. Liked the hot start and back drop driver by Kawada. Hated that Misawa came back so quickly with elbows. That should have been treated as a game changer (it initially was with Misawa selling and rolling to outside). Misawa worked really well on top early on and he was really bringing it to Kawada. Not a side we see often from Misawa. Loved Kawada's DDT as a transition. Neck work was brutal so many sick AXE KICKS~! Great selling by Misawa. Kawada does not hit anything too big but everything is focused on the neck like that awesome brainbuster. Misawa gets an elbow in corner and weird dropkick/lariat couldn't decide what he wanted. Somersault off apron put him in control as he is clutching his shoulder and neck. Interesting it is not really an extended comeback. No real hope spots just a transition into a pure Misawa finish run. I thought the segments were really long and there was a lot of time in between moves which does telegraph the draw, but I thought at the same time I liked them letting the spots breathe and milk that war of attrition. Misawa hits a Tiger Driver and facelock so that he can regain his own strength. Not as action packed, but very hard-hitting and has more of a war of attrition feel to it. Misawa really loved the Tiger Driver in this match and gets a Tiger Suplex with about ten minutes to go.

Headrop German by Kawada changes the tide in his favor for the next seven minutes or so he DESTROYS Misawa and feeds into that choke artist character that he can finish him off even though Powerbombs the hell out of him on the floor. Kawada was an offensive powerhouse in this. Loved all the Misawa ranas in the ring to get out of the floor only for Kawada to hit a MONSTER POWERBOMB in the ring and pin him same style as 5/1/98, but this time Misawa kicked out. One of those enziguiris to Misawa was vicious, hit him flush in the face! With about a minute left, Misawa hits a WICKED Spinning Back Elbow that almost made the eyes pop out of my head and then that kappo kick to Kawada was nasty, but he couldn't get the win either. Tiger Suplex, 1, 2, NO! Kawada kappo kick, 1, 2, No! Draw!

It was just fun to see Kawada really unload with offense in 1997. In 98 and 99 he has been great, but this has been an elite year in terms of excellent offense and really putting together effective matches. Misawa sold the neck well. I thought this had a different feel than most of their matches. That being said it was a little too much time in between moves. It was easy for me to zone in and out and not miss anything. The action was great and neck work was superb. Kawada's finish run was tons of fun. ****

Their annual Carnival draw, and it never looked like not being so. Kawada did the majority of attacking, but he can't beat Misawa. The edge had gone from their rivalry and this was unbelievably stale as a result. You'd be doing yourself a favour sticking to the clipped version as I found the 30m a chore to sit through.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-03-30-AJPW-Champion Carnival] Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada