Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-03-31-WWF-Raw] Owen Hart vs Davey Boy Smith

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Very good match -- even better than I remembered -- with both guys going after each other like the tension had been building for months, which just made the post-match angle resonate all the more. Interesting booking, because it was leading to something that seemed so predictable (Owen vs Davey Boy feud with a Davey Boy face turn) and they went in an entirely different direction. Watching at the time, this made so much sense, although I didn't suspect this was the direction at all. The post-match angle, of course, is outstanding, with Bret doing another great promo, and Bret and Owen reuniting after a years-long feud to a chorus of boos, which always felt strangely poetic to me. I love Owen's facial expressions and acting here, and the total look of disgust Bret gives the crowd when Owen hugs him to reunite is amazing. Yet another classic segment, and the Hart Foundation has arrived.

• 2 weeks later...

The post-match is my favorite WWF moment of the 90s... quite possibly my favorite WWF moment ever. Bret just nails it, Owen if off the freaking charts in how he plays it, and that Bret look out at the crowd when they hug is epic.

On top of it is what Loss says: they gave us a good match 12+ minute match before getting to the post match, and it had all that "partners breaking up" tension to it which those two played off of well. That's one of the nice things about the Yearbooks, or Will's Heart Foundation set: the angle / mic spot is what's remembered, but in these you get to see the whole thing. I think we're all more appreciative of 15+ years later of good matches like that, and it feels like Free Money to be the "lead in" to such a cool moment.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking the same thing. Probably hadn't seen this since it aired live but it was off the charts and maybe one of the 4-5 best things I have seen in wrestling. The action is good beforehand with the tense spots that were mentioned by JDW and Loss. I like how Owen used his athletic spots with more of an edge than in the Berlin match. The post match puts it over the top though. Bret and owen give A level performances and when they hug and reunite it feels like a three year journey you have been on. King sells it even more at the commentary desk by having crocodile tears to the disdainful looks of JR and McMahon.

Owen's pre match dropkick is such a great signature move of his. The one he hit on 123 Kid at King of the Ring was great too. Bulldog defending European title for the first time. Differently than their Berlin match as this doesn't have the early feeling out stuff. This is actually a pretty good match and is probably forgotten with their earlier March match and the post match segment after this. Here's Bret! As someone how was so emotionally involved in the Bret/Owen feud this was such a great turn of storyline telling. Bret is tired of the Harts fighting each other for people's enjoyment. The hug with Bret and Owen is such a great moment but Bret's face during this was awesome too. This blows away Shawn's phony bullshit music videos about his knee.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see this coming at all. Typical WWF booking would have had Davey turn face. A testament to how the company was finally willing to take risks and change their format

This was a typical case of Lawler not being told what was about to happen as he basically tried to sell Bulldog as the the face (by running him down and at the same time trying to be sympatetic towards Owen).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I forgot that they gave us a full-blown match before the big angle--and a hell of a match it is too, with a totally different dynamic than the Japan-style tournament final. This is total babyface vs. heel, with Bulldog taking some really sick bumps and Owen leveling him with some great offense. Just as things are on the verge of breaking down totally, here comes Bret to break things up. All the awesome things about Bret's promo and Owen's reaction have already been talked about, but Vince's quiet, "I have to question the motives..." really adds to this as well. I love the implication that Bret is really doing this just for his own selfish reasons. Subtlety in the WWF--who'da thunk?

• 1 year later...

What a great match! I might have liked this better than the 3/3 match. It's even worked differently. Not so much an athletic contest like the first match, but more of an old school match that has nice progression mixed in with some good brawling. The finish is classic. Bret comes out & tackles Davey Boy preventing him from wailing away at Owen with a chair. He breaks up their fight & cuts an amazing promo about family values. He says American fans have caused the riffs in the Hart family over the years presenting he & Davey's Summerslam 92 (they're competitive but hug after the match) & late 95 feud (hate filled feud based on jealously & resentment) as comparisons. That's brilliant continuity. He reminds Owen of their brotherhood in a legitimately touching moment. Owen & Davey listen to Bret's speech & agree to sort out their differences with a big group hug. Bret's disdainful look at the fans booing is incredible. One of the best WWF moments of all time. Tremendous angle. The 1997 Hart Foundation is born.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-03-31-WWF-Raw] Owen Hart vs Davey Boy Smith
  • 7 months later...

On 8/16/2013 at 7:05 PM, Johnny Guitar said:

After Savage and Elizabeth reuniting. This is probably best emotional pay off in company history.

With the crowd booing it the whole way it's also tempered with some levity, and the impetus of the whole USA/Canada divide that would play out on TV for the rest of the year. Looking back I wasn't really ever excited by the fact that the company would involve Bret's family in nearly every angle he was in, but this paid it all off brilliantly and it is an emotional moment. I doubt Bret gives this much thought, but I'm glad that the last image we had of him and Owen together were as brothers not opponents.