Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-04-21-WWF-Raw] Vader in Kuwait

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Vader acted like an idiot, but I always felt sympathetic for him protecting the business as he was likely taught, and the promotion he works for making fun of him on the air for doing so. It was funny that they even mentioned the "Is wrestling fake?" question on the air. Shamrock is with them and is ready for Vader at the PPV, and also throws a challenge to Mike Tyson. I'm sure there's a story here, but can someone explain? Was the deal with the WWF supposed to happen sooner? The course of WWE history would probably be different had that taken place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite part is Undertaker sitting there barely moving a muscle at this is going on. Lawler gives us a great drawing of Vader and also puts bars across the wrapping of his toy figure box. I do enjoy the Stossels and Belzers being smart around these huge guys and then being put in their place for it. But it is 97 so we are past Vader having to protect the business like that. Shamrock is stumbling during his interview about Tyson.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Vader is still in Kuwait after threatening the host of a morning talk show over the dreaded "fake" question. A concerned Lawler has a drawing of Vader shoveling camel dung. Yeah, this pretty much sinks Vader as any kind of main event threat. Shamrock cuts a promo, hyping a no-holds-barred match with Vader at Cold Day in Hell, then issues a challenge to Mike Tyson. Yeah, I don't think there was ever anything to this. Ken is starting to get better as a talker.

• 1 year later...

I'm sympathetic with Vader here too. What a dumb question. The WWF making fun of him for being detained is bizarre though. I forget that Lawler is one hell of an artist. That Vader drawing is fantastic. Shamrock cuts an anti-bully promo to hype his match with Vader at Cold Day in Hell. Weird. Then he challenges Mike Tyson to a fight in a WWF ring as a publicity stunt. Also weird.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-04-21-WWF-Raw] Vader in Kuwait