Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-04-21-WCW-Nitro] Rey Misterio Jr vs Syxx

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Terrific match. These two work very well together. Some probably hated it, but I also really liked Hall and/or Nash accompanying Syxx to ringside for cruiserweight title matches and helping him retain. It was something different for the division, and the involvement of the big boys in protecting the title made it seem like a big deal. JJ Dillon is out immediately and tells Syxx to break the hold while security surrounds Nash. Rey is stretchered out, which may have been a little much, but their three matches on this set all tell an overarching story that leads to Rey vs Nash on June 30.

• 4 weeks later...

Nash involvement did happen at end of match so I was fine here that it wasn’t a continuous thing through the match. Rey was connecting clean on his moves and Syxx was in right spot for them. I don’t think the stretcher job was necessary and is lacking big in drama compared to what was going on with Raw the same night.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Terrific match indeed. Nash's execution at the end was so quick and sudden and crisp, quite amazing to watch. Not a huge fan of JJ Dillon laying down the law but basically accomplishing nothing concrete and being made fun of by Nash & Syxx (after he was made fun of by Bischoff earlier on). Syxx and Nash got nuclear heat here, and it's obvious they totally missed the boat on Rey, who could have been a major star.

• 9 months later...

WCW Crusierweight Champion Syxx w/Kevin Nash vs Rey Mysterio - WCW Nitro 4/21/97

After a prolific breakout year in America in 1996, Rey Mysterio had a bit of a sophomore slump. Yes, he would have the best WCW match of the late 90s in 1997, but there was a wide chasm between the Halloween Havoc classic and his next best match. That is what happens when you feud with Prince Iaukea and basically given shit in the summer. I did not think the Dragon match at Spring Stampede was all that special so I would hold this up as my second favorite Rey match of 1997. As for Syxx, depending on how the Eddy ladder match goes, I have this only behind the tremendous Slamboree Six-Man for his tenure in WCW. It is so disappointing they were given such a short time, but they sure packed in a lot of action. Syxx was great at feeding Rey so fun spots early to get the crowd invested. His transition was great using Rey's speed against him by tossing him up and throwing him down. After being in the land of the giants in WWF, it must have been so cool for Syxx to finally be the bigger man in a match. You kinda forget that Syxx is a normal size human when he is always wrestling these behemoths. Syxx kicked some serious ass, but also kept it heel with the Bronco Buster (never liked that as a face move) and the cheating on the ab stretch. Rey crawling away from Big Sexy was a great visual. Rey's comeback off Syxx's missed Bronco Buster was great, but left you wanting so much more, a beautiful rana followed by maybe his best somersault plancha ever. Just when Rey Rey looked poised to win, Nash came in quick as a cat to stick him with the Jacknife. I actually liked Nash's involvement as it made the Crusierweight Title mean even more with the elite of the New World Order taking the time to be at ringside and ensure his buddy's victory. It would have been better if it set up for a kickass rematch on PPV. Imagine Flair/Rey vs Nash/Syxx on Nitro to build to it. WOW! I have said it before and I'll say it again, if only I could have been booker of WCW in 1996-97 what a talent pool! Awesome TV match! ***1/2

• 5 months later...

A very good TV match with Misterio's comeback being particularly breathtaking, especially the somersault plancha that looked like it killed Syxx. I always liked how the usually morose-at-this-time Brain would perk up for Syxx matches, profusely complimenting him even though he was an NWO guy. Nash lays out Rey with an awesome Jackknife to set up Syxx's win. JJ Dillon, newly ordained WCW chairman, comes out and ineffectively wags his finger after the fact. It may have had more impact if he'd at least reversed the decision and ordered a rematch as soon as Rey was recovered.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-04-21-WCW-Nitro] Rey Misterio Jr vs Syxx