Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-04-28-WWF-Raw] Vince McMahon and Bret Hart

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

Bret Hart comes out in a wheelchair in a visual I always LOVED for such a bitter heel. I'm fairly sure even though they said Bret's surgery was Wednesday, it was just a few hours before this show. I may be wrong on that. He cuts one of the better promos of his career, calling himself a real hero for years and responding to what happened to him at the hands of Steve Austin last week.

"Don't you just hate how I keep talkin' about how I'm the best? Well, now you know how the rest of the world feels about the United States of America!"

"Go ahead and chant your USA … my mother's American."

So much quotable stuff in this one.

• 4 weeks later...

Bret in wheelchair cuts a promo from the top of the ramp. He has Owen and Bulldog stand guard for him. Bret considers himself to a true hero and is disappointed by the American fans for cheering Austin for injuring his leg. He calls Americans a sick degrading society which gets a big pop from the crowd. More good stuff from Bret on mic.

• 1 month later...

What a great promo from Bret. It was really dense in both imagery and adjectives he was throwing out but done in a great way that put a ton of heat on him. These past two weeks with Hogan gone from Nitro have sort of hurt the flow of that show and even though cool stuff is still happening on Nitro, it feels like Raw is really becomming the must see stuff.

• 1 year later...

Bret is now fully in his role as the Professor X of the Hart Foundation, and promises that they'll need another ambulance for either Steve Austin or Shawn Michaels tonight. After he gets all the hyena talk, Bret really goes into scorched-earth mode, ranting about the depraved and sickening society of the USA while also promising to give them what they want. His zealotry combined with the vivid descriptions of what he has in store for his enemies makes him come across as a combination of Mr. Backlund and Ole Anderson, and it's glorious to watch.

• 1 year later...

Heel Bret is amazing. Great promo. He comes out in his wheelchair & goes on this long rant about being a hero & the American fans being despicable. The line about his mother being American is my favorite part. What a bitter asshole. I love it.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-04-28-WWF-Raw] Vince McMahon and Bret Hart