Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-05-18-WCW-Slamboree] Steve McMichael vs Reggie White

Loss

• 1 month later...

Last few minutes. I'm not a football fan, but goodhelmet tells me he was a big deal so we should probably acknowledge this match. Good idea in theory, but Mongo is in zero position to be carrying a wrestling match. Mongo gets the win after Jeff Jarrett tosses him the briefcase.

• 2 weeks later...

This wasn't quite an epic disaster but it sure wasn't good. Somebody thought giving these two 17 minutes was the right call but about 7 or 8 minutes in, the call came from backstage to go home. Neither guy had a clue as to how to think on the fly and had rehearsed this match a few times, so they went the whole time.

• 3 weeks later...

Reggie White with an Atomic Drop. He’s got Green Bay Packers ring gear. Mongo doing all the bumping. White didn’t look terrible but we only get the finish of this. Jarrett helps out Mongo with the briefcase shot. They went 17 minutes?!! The editing to the end here was for the best then. At least the wrestler went over.

• 1 month later...

I thought the ending stretch of this was pretty good. Reggis didnt look bad doing his suplex and the finish of Mongo winning was legit surprising to me since most celebrities get the rub over the sports stars. Reggie also looked like he was having a ton of fun. I find it amazing that we havent really had any sports/wrestling crossover since Floyd fought show unless I am forgetting something.

• 4 months later...

Reggie and McMichael must have been really good friends for him to come in (wasn't he still active in football at this time?) and lose. I know they played together on the defensive line for a year and both did Wrestlemania XI, they probably got on really well so it's nice that he did the job for a buddy cos I know Greene goes over McMichael in their singles match.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Mark your calendars--Mongo McMichael carries a match. He actually does the best he can, and it's a testament to how hot WCW was that the crowd was actually into the closing stretch of this, despite a ridiculous 17-minute bell-to-bell time. Cute finish as Gilbert Brown prevents McMichael from using the briefcase, but as Mark Curtis is trying to shoo him away after he was previously distracted by Debra, Jeff Jarrett runs out with a duplicate which McMichael uses to get the win. I do like how WCW tended to use celebrities to put wrestlers over rather than the WWF moving heaven and earth trying to put the celeb over--you hear that, Russo?

Reggie was a legendary player but as a wrestling participant I don't actually recall this being a huge deal--it did get some mainstream pub, but it also felt kind of overshadowed by the presence of Rodman.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-05-18-WCW-Slamboree] Steve McMichael vs Reggie White