Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-06-07-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Mr Wrestling

Loss

• 1 month later...

There is security in the studio to keep Tommy Dreamer from invading the studio. Lawler has some ECW hecklers on the front row and cuts a great promo before the match. Sadly, this airs before the actual angle, but I'll say that old territories used to talk about angles that had already happened where they don't show the angle until later in the show, so we'll just pretend that's what this is. :)

Sure enough, Dreamer shows up a few minutes into the squash. Pretty glorious, as Lawler taunts him to come into the ring while he's being held back by security. I bet Tommy was PUMPED to work an angle in Memphis. Lance Russell says he's as "wild as a march hare"! They show clips of Tommy Dreamer beating guys up in ECW. Pretty lazy highlight package -- no song or anything to go with it.

Mr. Wrestling is Carl Fergie, veteran of the Southern territories.

Dreamer was stoked about doing this. He had his picture taken with Lance Russell and Dutch Mantell for his own personal collection. The other wrestlers there started calling him a "mark", that most derisive of terms that will curve your spine, put hair on your palm and make you were a Scarlett M on your chest.

To all the wrestlers (oh, Im sorry, "workers") that use the term "mark", please go fuck yourself. To death.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I was confused with Dreamer showing up in USWA before the WrestlePalooza stuff went down. Lance mentions how he doesn’t remember what he had for breakfast. Lawler makes challenge to any ECW wrestler and Dreamer obliges causing the TV match to get thrown out. Clips of Dreamer versus Brian Lee from ECW. Brian Lee on his way out there.

• 1 month later...

I like this version of Lawler's gear compared to what he wearing in WWF. Fergie gets called the original Mr. Wrestling. Can someone explain what the mirror was in the studio for around this piont? Dreamer comes out and has to be restrained. Lawler eggs him on and the crowd is hot for all of this.

• 1 year later...

A bit out of sorts here timeline-wise, as Lawler gloats about his actions in the ECW Arena and Lance mentions that they showed the tape, but okay. I'm amused by Michael St. John attempting to put Mr. Wrestling over as "carrying on the legacy" of Tim Woods and Johnny Walker. Before long Tommy Dreamer is in the studio getting held back by security. Good, hot segment that holds the promise of more to come--Lance teases that Dreamer may have brought some other friends with him. Everyone is jumping onto the invasion gravy train, but ECW and the USWA make for a good contrast with each other, despite the latter's clear influence on the former. I actually thought the video they showed was more effective for a (presumably new) USWA audience by leaving Styles' commentary in instead of overdubbing music on it.

• 1 year later...

As much as SMW was a fun old-school promotion in the 90's, USWA looks like a relic at this point. So it makes Lawler talking about how theer's only 1500 people in the ECW kinda funny, you know. Anyway, this is typical studio wrestling angle with Dreamer showing up and being restrained even by Mr. Wrestling No Number, carrier of tradition. This is like the mini-me version of nWo invading a Nitro set.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-06-07-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Mr Wrestling