Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-06-08-WWF-King of the Ring] Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin

Loss

I like this match if it had the WM 14 ending as the WM match where Austin wins the title....of course that would mean Austin doesnt get hurt by Owen in August and Shawn back not hurt....

So for these two, except for the last few minutes this is their best together as they are both in GREAT SHAPE...

Also, kudos to Shawn for handling the challenged kid who ran in....done with class...for Shawn in 97 that is saying something.

• 5 weeks later...

Austin's pre-match interview blows Shawn's completely out of the water. I'm glad I was talked into keeping this, as I thought this was a pretty fabulous match if I set aside that Shawn is CHEWING GUM while taking bumps and it's annoying the hell out of me. What an asshole. Everything else about his performance is pretty excellent. I think if these two would have had more matches on pay-per-view before their bodies gave out on the way to WM14, the second or third one would be one for the ages. Not giving a definitive finish makes me wonder if that was the plan. This one doesn't quite hit the level that I think these two had in them, but it's still pretty terrific in its own right.

On a side note, I'm glad we're just about wrapping up the babyface run of Shawn Michaels.

• 4 weeks later...

The gum chewing was obnoxious. I go back and forth on this match compared to WMXIV but really enjoyed it this time around. Both guys looked really good. Austin was leveling Michaels with clotheslines. Great up to the finish but I can see why neither guy went over. How did Earl Hebner get a pass here for calling for the double DQ and not get beat up? Michaels and Austin had minutes earlier showed they have no problems with beating up an official.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really great match that seems pretty forgotten. The storyline works well and the work within the match especially in Austins control segment was spectacular. I liked the escalation of the match from solid matwork to Austin sending him to the outside and into the stairs and on the concrete. I liked that Ross called out that only the girls were cheering for Shawn when he makes his comeback. Ending isn't wonderful and felt like the first in a series but played off what was going on between these two so I was fine with it.

• 1 year later...

Of the best Shawn Michaels matches, this is probably the one that feels least like a Shawn Michaels match. It's wrestled in Austin's style, Austin is clearly the center of attention, and the match shares a lot of spots with Austin-Mero from the previous year's King of the Ring. I don't think that either participant thinks very highly of this one, but I'd have it in the WWF's top five for 1997.

The press slam on the outside is the nastiest-looking bump I've ever seen Michaels take.

• 3 weeks later...

Good match--not a great one, but from memory it strikes me as much better than WM14 despite the less satisfying conclusion. These two actually keep it clean for the first portion of the match--by design, I'm sure, but the incident with the Special Olympian also seemed to throw them off their game for just a few minutes. They smartly elevate this with bigger bumps and more "hardcore" elements but without getting into no-DQ territory, utilizing the barricade and exposed concrete for their big spots rather than chairs and tables. Austin is still dealing with split crowds when working against other babyfaces--he's growing in popularity but he's not an Ace yet.

• 1 year later...

This got off to a slow start as a 'special' fan fell over the barricade. It makes me laugh sometimes how much more PC my reviews become on screen than on paper. Both participants were faces, but it certainly wasn't nicey nicey. Austin wrestled like a heel. Pretty good action and it was looking like a very successful outing. Then a horrible finish strikes. US fans are never happy with draws, yet surely a DCO or double pin would've been better than that.

• 5 months later...

The pre-match interviews are fun. Austin's is great. I loved him saying he won't cripple Shawn because he wants to keep the tag gold, but will do so if Shawn pisses him off enough. Shawn's is weird as he plays it like he doesn't want to hurt his tag partner cause their the champs but doesn't show any hatred or contempt for Austin in his tone. Excellent match. I loved Austin being a total dick as Shawn tries to help the disabled person by grabbing Shawn & brawling with him. I did like Shawn being kind to the disabled person & helping him from ringside. Once the match gets going it's very basic with lots of wrestling but it's great. Austin works heel which is smart. He gets frustrated & removes the ringside padding & presses Shawn onto the hard floor. Great last few minutes before the ref bump. The crowd got really into it. Shawn has looked great the last few weeks & he's terrific here. WWF went a long way to protect both guys here with all the ref bumps, but at least their assault of the officials is consistent with their characters (at least for Austin). The match is thrown out & ends on a double DQ. Neither guy should have lost clean so I don't blame them for that, but they took a long, messy route to get there. I liked JR saying that at least it seemed they earned one another's respect as they argued in the aisle & went there separate ways.

• 2 months later...
Never knew this match existed til I saw it actually. I had been under the impression that their meeting at Mania was the first. Either way, this was a wonderful little bout to help put both guys over. Austin was great as the rough housing hard hitter while Shawn played a good rag doll bump monkey for Austin. Seriously, the speed that these two moved at during the match was so refreshing to see and a real testament to both guys' talent before their big career injuries. Austin's aura is just so strong here that he quickly becomes the star of the match even though Shawn puts in a hell of a performance as a bumping babyface. A funny finish that might have pissed off some at the time but I kinda dug watching it now. It's a real testament to the pacing of this match that the biggest pops I felt personally came right at them hitting their finishers. That's a lost art these days. A fun match.

***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1997-06-08-WWF-King of the Ring] Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin