Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-06-14-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler, Jackie Fargo & Brian Christopher

Loss

• 1 month later...

Soup will love this. Jackie Fargo is on the phone and sounds exactly like my late grandfather, even making a lot of the same jokes! Stacey points out that they just showed an old clip of him against Lawler on TV and Fargo correctly suggests that it was probably of the time Lawler beat him. Lawler finally comes out and they have a nice conversation. They tease Fargo returning to the territory later.

Lawler then gets down to business and talks about ECW. They show Tommy Dreamer destroying the studio the week before. The way Lance Russell always sneaks in a comment about ECW being a copy of Memphis is awesome. Lance wants Lawler to respond to Paul E.'s allegation that he's Brian Christopher's father. Lawler tries to stall, and the woman in the crowd yelling "Come on Lawler, we only got 30 minutes left in the show" was great! Anyway, Lawler says he'll come back later in the show and respond.

Funny little spot with Lawler standing next to Brian Christopher and saying he sees no resemblance to him at all.

Finally, Lawler is back out. Fans are picking on him for not coming clean and it's hilarious. He stalls until the show goes off the air and says he'll have an answer next week.

Funny stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Good to hear Fargo. He misses being around the wrestlers and the fans and would like to make a return to Memphis.

Jerry runs down Dreamer for beating up people in the studio why he went all the way to ECW Arena to confront them. Of course we get no video of his actions there and Lawler barely glosses over it. Lance puts Jerry on the spot regarding Heyman’s comments about Christopher being Lawler’s son. Jerry has a lot of fun with this stalling a few times and teasing an answer next week.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Charles was right on in that I adored this. The south has the moniker of things going "slower" in life but this segment conveyed the sentiment that can be rooted in southern tradition. Fargo doesn't have a ton to say, probably hasn't watched the show in ages and yet fits right in giving jabs with Stacy, Lance, and the gang. He talks just like my uncle who would always come to my family's labor day BBQ in a camper and peddle stuff that you had no idea how/why he acquired it. After the impromptu yard sale, we would sit by the campfire while we rotated the pig, and he would just shoot the shit. Thinking back now at those memories (he passed away almost a year ago actually), you cant really recall specifics and realize the stories weren't that funny and you have no idea why you were laughing in the first place, yet there you were in the moment not wanting to be anywhere else and soaking it all in. Jackie Fargo conveys this so much. I wish there was more footage of him more than any other wrestler in history that we have a lack of footage of.

• 1 year later...

Don't tell anyone who this is and I dare them to tell if this is Jackie Fargo or '90s Tommy Rich. Seems like we haven't heard from Jackie in years, since maybe the Moondogs feud. Lawler comes out wearing a Bill Dundee Halloween outfit. Lance then grills Lawler on Paul E.'s statement from Raw that Brian Christopher is Jerry Lawler's son but won't acknowledge it out of shame. Lawler says that if he had a dollar for every time he's been asked about that, he wouldn't have to wrestle anymore. He promises to answer...then teases us and says he'll come back.

We get a funny bumper bit with Lawler comparing himself to Christopher, before Jerry is brought back out to the studio, but stalls until the end of the show again. I get why they wanted to avoid acknowledging Christopher as a son when he was first breaking in, and then it would have led to some awkwardness if they ever got around to addressing it. But I think by '97 it was about the worst-kept secret in wrestling and wonder if they weren't a day late and a dollar short on this matter. (USWA was a day late and a dollar short on EVERYTHING by '97, but work with me.) Lawler's flat denial that he got ANYTHING for Brian Christopher for Father's Day was pretty funny.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-06-14-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler, Jackie Fargo & Brian Christopher
  • 2 years later...