Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-06-16-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin, Mankind and Ken Shamrock

Loss

• 1 month later...

Austin is out and isn't happy about this tournament at all. He doesn't give a damn who his partner is and Mankind quickly interrupts to begin one of my personal favorite angles ever. He felt a bond after Austin gave him the finger. He wants to team with Austin!

"I don't need no freak watchin' my back. You ain't got no ears." Austin rules.

Mankind points out that he has long hair, can wear an earring and can shake his ass because he has a great ass! This is hilarious!

Shamrock is out for a receipt from last week. He wants Austin in the ring tonight! Austin is all for it after he wipes the mat with Pillman.

• 4 weeks later...

Mankind volunteers to be Austin’s tag partner in the tournament. Austin wants nothing to do with Mankind and makes fun of him for not having an ear. Mankind wants Austin to think it over.

They advertise Austin’s new video ‘Cause Stone Cold Said So. Feels like the home video market for WWF would start to get big from here.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Good stuff here as we juggle several different storylines--Mankind beginning his "PICK ME, STEVE" run and tensions between Austin and Shamrock. Austin has a lot on his shoulders having to more or less carry the load with Bret and Shawn out of commission. That said, as great as it was, some of the spring Raws were almost *too* Hart-and-Austin-centric, due to the WWF's lack of depth. It's good to get Austin's skills spread around a little bit more.

• 1 year later...

Austin is pissed about the tag tourney announcement & doesn't want a partner. Mankind shows up on the tron & cuts a great promo about how when Austin flipped him the bird last week he felt a connection between the two! Austin doesn't want to team with a freak & already had to deal with long haired, ass shaking Shawn Michaels. Mankind says he's got long hair & can shake his ass too! "I have a nice ass!" That made me laugh out loud. Austin responds by saying he has a nice fat ass! That was great. Shamrock shows up & comes to ring pissed about Austin giving him the stunner the last week. He challenges Austin to a fight then & there. Austin agrees to take him on after his match with Pillman. Hot segment. Shamrock is a bad promo, but otherwise I loved this. WWF did a great job creating interest in the immediate aftermath of the Bret-Shawn debacle.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-06-16-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin, Mankind and Ken Shamrock