Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-07-13-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Juventud Guerrera & Hector Garza & Lizmark Jr vs La Parka & Psicosis & Villano IV

Loss

• 1 month later...

Tenay's commentary is much better here than in the previous Nitro matches. The crowd doesn't really get this in a way where they pop for the specific spots unfortunately, which is sad as they do a great job laying this out and this is an excellent match. I can almost hear the announcers who do not get this style of wrestling at all looking down on it, even though they don't outwardly shit on it. This is another example of WCW having a great idea that they really could have developed into something special had they stayed patient.

• 3 weeks later...

La Parka's entrance jacket and sombrero are beautiful. He even using his sombrero as if a cape in bull fighting. WCW should have just let Tenay and Tony announce these type matches. The Heenans and Larrys just didn't have much to add plus Dusty is there so it's overkill with all these announcers talking. Rudos with the miscommunication spots highlighted by Parka's comedy. Huge stereo dives to the outside. Everyone misses top rope moves which is cute. Air Juvi! More dives. Heck of a match. I really enjoyed this one.

• 2 months later...

Agreed that I love the progressions we have seen with these matches and its a shame they didn't keep these in a prominent role and elevate them up to where they could be a showcase match on the card. This had a ton of good spots and mixed in some comedy elements like Ohno's miscommunication with parka and him immediately pulling out the money. Bobby also is better than Larry in the booth for these matches because he defers to Tenay but sounds interested instead of annoyed. This and the opener make this a much better PPV all around than you might think.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Really good action which worked the best as the spots accumulated, but there were a few rough set ups, particulary with Garza, Lizmark & Psychosis. The crowds doesn't get into it as much as the previous Nitro crowds, and I also felt it wasn't as good as those ones. But yeah, lucha trios matches should have became a staple of WCW cards.

• 1 year later...

Who was the true pioneer of the selfie--Dave Attell or Sonny Onoo? This was pretty awesome--some missed spots, but nothing too bad and what's blown is covered for fairly effectively. Am I showing my ignorance or should Lizmark, Jr. been a bigger star in the U.S. than he was? He's really raw and clearly the least of the 6 guys here, but if he is only 21 as Tenay says he seems like has the potential and more importantly the size to be a bigger name in this country than he was. The booth gets awfully crowded for these types of matches but it was worth it to see Dusty marking out over the rowboat--that was clearly the highlight of the match for him. I'd love to an alternate universe where we got a hot trios match and a Blood Runs Cold match on every PPV. They slowly start to inject some story into this with Juvie working a brief FIP segment and the attempted trickery with the Villano switch--that's the direction they needed to be headed in instead of just throwing 6 guys out there at random.

• 8 months later...

Juventud Guerrera, Hector Garza, Lizmark Jr vs La Parka, Psychosis & Villano IV - Bash At The Beach 1997

Very fun spotfest. Pyschosis taking nutty bumps. Villano IV hit people hard. La Parka and his corkscrew plancha was awesome. Loved the triple suicide dive. Juvy/Parka had a really fun exchange. Thought Lizmark was great hitting people hard and some nice dives. Even though Juvy was the best of Technicos felt like they were trying to get Garza over the most. He came off as very athletic and his corkscrew from the top to outside was great. Villano V tries to switch in but that backfires and he gets pinned by Garza. Commentary had some gems like when Tenay was explaining Technicos and Rudos. Tony calls The Brain a rudo who retorts that Tony is a wimpo. Dusty's call of the Villano switch was funny, he just switched with stammering same outfitted guy (clearly did not if they were related and did not want to make a mistake). Fun spotfest. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1997-07-13-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Juventud Guerrera & Hector Garza & Lizmark Jr vs La Parka & Psicosis & Villano IV