• 43472 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

Talk about it here.

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

Glad to see this feud picking up where they left off in 1996. These two are tailor made for each other, especially since Anjo is such a douchebag prick. Shooters who take cheapshots are heat magnets in Japan, and Anjo is no exception to that. I also love the pop that the sleeper hold and reverse Fujiwara armbar (if that's what it is -- I'm not sure) gets. Awesomely short and to the point.

#3 Kevin Ridge

Kevin Ridge
  • Members
  • 4762 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

You want to see Anjo get his and Tenryu seems like the perfect guy to deliver. Anjo reverses the powerbomb into a sleeper. Anjo with the reverse figure four! Tenryu just clocks Anjo with a right hand. Close call on that submission attempt by Anjo. Yay. The wrestling guy wins.

#4 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4441 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

I love this match-up because Anjo always tried to out-prick Tenryu, who is not a man to be out-pricked. Anjo was a shootstylist who could've worked in just about any setting, because he was such a naturally smarmy dickhead. A smirk seemed to be his natural expression, and I loved the dirty little shit he did, like standing on Tenryu's hand to prevent him from getting up after a rope break. Tenryu, of course, answered with his usual brew of closed-hand punches and reckless lariats. The match featured a great finish, with Anjo hooking a flash submission after eating a nearfall off Tenryu's power bomb. Tenryu then decimated him with a lariat for his insolence and finished it with a second powerbomb. Yoji, asshole to the last, tried to kick Tenryu during the post-match handshake. Love it!

#5 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10258 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

This match was almost the same length as the one preceeding it but it felt like a more contained full story. Anjo is a good prick to go up against Tenryu and dare I say make Tenryu seem a little sympathetic.

#6 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

Can somebody confirm whether this is actually a different match from their 7/21/96 bout? I tried downloading this off Ditch's site and it was the same match as the '96 link. I can't find a record for it on the catchmatch site or a match listing for it on Lorefice's site and the match Childs described above is the same as the '96 bout. Plus July 21st was a Monday that year which is an odd time to run a show. 

#7 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9187 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

I'm not sure OJ isn't correct here--I definitely recall them doing practically the same finish before, with Anjo countering Tenryu's power bomb into a reverse jujigatame for a hot false finish before going down right after. Hell, no matter, I never mind seeing these two beat the shit out of each other, and with these two you kind of know what you're getting regardless of the year.

#8 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2142 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:52 PM

OJ is definitely correct. This is the match from 7/21/96, which is on the 1996 Yearbook. It is worth watching twice however.

#9 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 3153 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:27 PM

For the record there is no 97 match to watch between these two? Disappointing.

#10 KB8

KB8
  • Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:48 AM

I always thought there were two matches as I remembered the '96 match had Tenryu grabbing the mic and calling out Takada afterwards. I don't remember that with the '97 match (unless the file simply cut out before then). Then again, I can't find anything on cagematch for the date I had for the '97 match (2/21/97) and don't even recall how I got it (possibly from Ditch). Both matches had more or less the same finish as well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users