Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-07-22-WCW-Tuesday Nitro] Ric Flair & Chris Benoit vs Scott Hall & Kevin Nash

Loss

• 1 month later...

Good tag match. Hall and Nash continue to impress in 1997, and Flair and Benoit make an excellent team. Flair works FIP for most of this. Benoit's hot tag and the clean pinfall are tremendous! Syxx attacks Flair after the match with the buzzkill to set up their match. Mongo makes the save and the Steiners want to face the Outsiders down as the show goes off the air.

• 3 weeks later...

Really good TV match. I have to say that Hall and Nash have been pretty good when we've seen them work actual matches as a team. They understood the basics of cutting off the ring and working hope spots. Benoit showed great fight going one on two at the end. I loved the way he punched out of the powerbomb only to be decapitated by Nash's big boot after Hall distracted him.

• 2 months later...

This was a good match but both Raw and Nitro had tag matches this week and while this was probably the better match in ring, the WWF one had more heat and felt more integral to me in the grand scheme of things. That is not to say this wasn't heated as it was but you can start to see how WWF is slowly gaining momentum even though WCW hasn't made any huge gaffes yet.

Guest TheGreatPuma

I remember watching this match and knowing how incredible Benoit was, I was as a fan curious how he could come in off a hot tag believably against two monsters such as Hall and Nash. Not only did he do it but he did it in incredibly exciting and believable fashion while wrestling A plus psychology. I don't see anyone else coming in at his size against Hall and Nash and looking like 100 times the asskicker than the bigger wrestlers were. Sometimes the smaller wrestlers have trouble being believable going against the big guys.

I was watching this with friends and casual wrestling fans who were already fans of Benoit calling him incredible and wanting to see him against Bret. This is the kind of match that shows Benoit's on a completely different level. I was marking out of my mind when Benoit was fighting out of Nash's powerbomb and it continues to be one of my fav all time wrestling moments.

The ending too was classic. As I'm fan, I'm shouting "His foot's under the rope!!!!" but I was already well aware at this time about Benoit's insane bump taking. At the Clash of the Champions against Pillman and Lyger when it aired, it actually scared me and I was wondering how this guy could do what he was doing with the travel, jet lag and how he would survive neck and brain wise. I remember seeing the foot against Nash in 1996 and thinking the same things. That was from my memory by far the most insane, lethal looking kick and bump off of Nash's kick that I have ever seen and it's that mentality that Benoit had that led to the excessive brain damage. This is a scary match for me to watch.

• 7 months later...

Good TV match, with the Outsiders again showing good tag team wrestling work. They really weren't very fancy but their matches always built well to the hot tag, and Hall was especially solid (compared to awful teams like Harlem Heat or over-the-hill Steiners which no-sold everything). Flair did as well as he could at this point and Benoit looked awesome. Really, the designated feud had to be Flair vs Syxx, everything was building toward this. It shoudl have happened, and Flair should have put Syxx over like Savage put DDP over. Anywway...

• 1 year later...

Yeah, the Outsiders aren't the most dynamic tag workers but they know the ins and outs of how to build a solidly worked tag match. Benoit was pretty awesome for the house afire stuff and Hall and Nash both sold for him really well--this feels like it could have been a coming out party for him and a chance to elevate him farther, but we all know that didn't really happen. Syxx gets the Buzzkill on Flair's injured shoulder before Mongo makes the save, and then we're joined by Rick and an almost unrecognizable Scott Steiner, who I seriously thought was Scott Norton for a second.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-07-22-WCW-Tuesday Nitro] Ric Flair & Chris Benoit vs Scott Hall & Kevin Nash