Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-07-28-WWF-Raw] Interview: Hart Foundation

Loss

• 1 month later...

They are in Pittsburgh and Bret gets out his famous enema line. Vince has JR deliver the news that his match against Undertaker at Summerslam will still happen, but one week from tonight, there will be a new WWF Commissioner named who will reevaluate the entire situation. Bret says when he said he would never wrestle in the U.S. again, it was a mere figure of speech, not something he meant literally. "It was a figure of speech" is such a Vince Russo thing that he loved to use. He points out that Shawn can screw him at Summerslam and he still gets screwed while Shawn spends ten years at home looking for his smile. Bret has some crazy heat here. This whole summer has had the loudest and most emotionally invested crowds in WWF history.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, I dont think Bret has the natural charisma of say someone like Dusty or Flair in their heyday but his role here in 1997 is the perfect combination of his experience in the business and knowing what worked for the most part coupled with him projecting his legitimate pent up frustration backstage with his onscreen role. Probably my top 1997 best on interviews front runner along with Hogan and Austin.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know he didn't like saying it, but Bret's enema line draws absolutely huge heat that threatens to drown out the rest of his promo. From the viewpoint of a Browns fan who works for a company where 75% of upper management are Pittsburghers, it may be the greatest line in wrestling history. Bret has words for Shawn, Undertaker, and a special challenge for the Patriot.

• 1 year later...

The Hart Foundation come out to nuclear heat in Pittsburgh. This US-Canada feud has been amazing to watch. The fans bought it hook, line, & sinker. Bret says the enema line which pissed Pittsburgh off. I loved Owen scowling at the Austin chants. Bret got in trouble for his behavior the previous week & had to go to a hearing. It was decided he'd still get a title shot but Gorilla Monsoon will name a new commissioner next week which could be grounds for more evaluation on Bret. Bret says he didn't mean that he wouldn't wrestle in the US again literally, but the WWF took it that way. He says the stip for Shawn is pointless because it's a lose/lose for him which he's right. I don't like the stip being put on Shawn too. It's not necessary. Great segment though with molten heat. Loss is right. Every week the heat has been incredible. What a summer for the WWF.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-07-28-WWF-Raw] Interview: Hart Foundation