Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-08-09-AJW] Etsuko Mita & Mima Shimoda vs Aja Kong & Kyoko Inoue

Loss

• 1 month later...

This was a wild match. Kong and Kyoko make an excellent team, and it's fun to see someone dish out the same aggression toward the LCO that they usually dished out to everyone else. Aja unloading a FIRE EXTINGUISHER on everyone at ringside was hilarious. It shocked the crowd so much that they weren't quite sure to respond and really made this match seem like something that had gotten way out of control. I don't really know yet how I'll rate this at the end of the month. I need some distance from it. But they really do like they're wrestling in purgatory and that they all just desperately want to get this over with, but the other team is just too good to beat. I've never seen a match quite like this.

• 4 months later...

Crazy brawl that went long but felt up the pace and allowed for some extended selling. Kong/Kyoko were really good at taking the fight to LCO and the individual pairings really sprawled out throughout Korauken making the whole atmosphere more chaotic. Aja was my favorite in this match just being a wild woman dismantling the guard rail to get back to the ring, letting go of the fire extinguisher to the delight of the crowd, and tons of other little touches. The finish could have felt anticlimatic but the way she played it off by putting all of her energy into one spinning back fist made it work and her exhaustion in the post match made it known that she went through a war. One of my favorite joshi matches of the year.

• 1 year later...

This started off with a terrific heated brawl that brings to mind a wilder version of the Midnights/Fantastics Clash I match, and then kept going, and going, and going, to the point of silliness and tedium. The weapons and the brawling were mostly under control for awhile, but they climaxed with Aja unleashing the fire extinguisher, which sets off a chaotic scene of announcers running for cover and Korakuen fire alarms going off. After that, we enter a stretch I've seen all too often in joshi where the 2.9s are so numerous and overdone that I start to lose interest in who wins or loses. We also get both teams looking rather stupid as they completely decimate one opponent but don't even bother to make an effort to subdue their partner, who inevitably brushes against the pin attempt thus forcing a kickout. They do manage to tie this back together somewhat towards the end, as Kyoko does a great job of reviving an unconscious Aja, who has just enough in her to unleash one Uraken before collapsing on Mita for the pin. They got me with that one--I expected Aja to miss and knock Kyoko out leading to another run of offense for LCO. Overall though, this was too long for its own good and all the heeling by LCO--the weapons, the interference, the MIST (which Kyoko sells like her outfit got stained instead of like death)--reeked of desperation and trying too hard. If this is the best AJW has to offer for 1997 then I'm glad we got as little on the Yearbook as we did.

• 11 months later...

An epic LCO brawl lasting 33m (27m shown). From start to finish there was wild and crazy action. They fought all over the arena and had all sorts of extra-curricular activities involving the balcony, green mist and countless chair shots. The fire extinguisher was a wacky addition. Especially as it set off the fire alarm! Aja bled a bit as well. It wasn't just hardcore as they incorporated plenty of high impact wrestling moves. Energy is a key component of these type of matches, and they had plenty of it here. They had me on board most of the way. At one stage I thought it was going a bit too long, but the length came back to help it later on when the epicness factor came into play. That may or may not make sense. The finish was strong. Good choice for the set.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic hardcore style match and probably my favorite LCO match. In a way it is a perfect late ECW match with chair shots and good wrestling...I mean that as a compliment too!

The fact that it has the more experienced team of Aja and Kyoko helps as well. I think the LCO in '97 and on calls back to the Dump-Bull-Jungle Jack style joshi and less Toyota but, the influence of FMW and ECW played a part in their full blown garbage-heel style I'm thinkin'.

Anyhow, I liked this better than the infamous cage match and it worth checking out.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-08-09-AJW] Etsuko Mita & Mima Shimoda vs Aja Kong & Kyoko Inoue