Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-08-11-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels and Sgt. Slaughter

Loss

• 1 month later...

Shawn is immediately hated, which I love. Funny how that works. He's upset about finding out about this match with Mankind on Superstars instead of Vince having the common decency to call him. A "Shawn is gay" chant starts and Shawn tells the fans to ask their mamas and sisters how gay Shawn is. Shawn talks about being on the WWF's new private hitlist as a result of Sgt. Slaughter being appointed commissioner, which just makes Vince roll his eyes at ringside.

Slaughter is finally out to talk to Shawn and Shawn mocks him the entire time, which is pretty funny. I love how loathsome Shawn is here, and he's pretty much just being himself. Shawn promises he has an insurance policy that we'll see tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

Any cheers for Michaels are only from the female fan base. I like the idea of Shawn Michaels sitting at home on a Saturday watching Superstars. Slaughter's chin becomes an immediate target. I hated Shawn before but damn he's really wanting me to see someone kick his ass right now. Michaels has himself an "insurance policy".

• 4 months later...

Shawn still working the booty shorts and loafers. Man is Shawn the most hate-able prick in the world here. The line about asking your sister and momma about how gay Shawn is was classic. Vince shaking his head and rolling his eyes was awesome too. Slaughter comes out and Shawn immediately is on him about his chin and mugs him the whole time he talks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just like Hogan last year, Shawn is becoming a great heel by ramping up everything people hated about him as a babyface. Shawn was almost *too* good of a heel in late '97 as DX was allowed to run rampant over the entire show, particularly with half the roster leaving or injured all at once--in all honesty, as much as I was looking forward to this Yearbook, I'm kinda not so looking forward to seeing both promotions fall off in the last quarter. We'll see how it goes.

• 1 year later...

Shawn is an amazing asshole here. Some do cheer him here but most hate him & even start a "Shawn is gay!" chant. Solid promo from Shawn barking at Vince for hiring Sarge as Commissioner & saying that he will do whatever he wants. Sarge comes out & assures Shawn he's in charge & Shawn makes fun of Sarge's chin & spitting the whole time which is funny. Shawn disrespects Sarge some more on the mic & says he's got an insurance policy for tonight in his match against Mankind. Good segment to establish Shawn a big player again, but this time as a heel.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-08-11-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels and Sgt. Slaughter