Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-09-20-WWF-One Night Only] Vader vs Owen Hart

Loss

• 1 month later...

Excellent match - I agree with those who say this might be Vader's best in the WWF. I don't think the Sting/Vader matches are a good comparison, but at the same time, this is really fun and shows Vader at his best. Owen is really good at the underdog role and I like the basic build to things like the eventual bodyslam.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This was an excellent match, and though I wouldn't say it's exactly comparable to the Sting matches, it did remind me of those and the Muto match from the G-1. Owen, at his best, was a great offensive wrestler, and his stuff looked particularly good with such a big guy eating and bumping for it. Vader gave a vintage performance as the vulnerable monster. Owen's bodyslam felt like a great payoff, especially the way the announcers set it up. And then the catch powerslam finish looked badass.

• 3 months later...

I really liked this as a third from the top super match with Owen trying to slug it to Vader and Vader taking the majority of the match but giving Owen just enough of a opening to make you believe he could pull the win off. This also rehabilitated Vader more than any recent match. The finish with the powerslam was vicious and especially good as Owen gets caught after his triumphant moment of slamming Vader.

• 1 year later...

A very good match, probably Owen's last really good one, at least a straight wrestling match. Owen has lots of good hit-and-run offense that Vader sells tremendously, particularly his wobbly and awkward fall after getting enzuigiri'd. And the bodyslam was a cool moment. And of course Vader continues, even at this late stage, to be one of the best cut-off heels you'll ever see in wrestling. Cool offense, good heat, strong psychology with everything making sense--it's not going to be on any Match of the Year lists but for an upper-midcard PPV bout you can't ask for much more.

• 11 months later...

Vader vs Owen Hart - WWF One Night Only 1997

Never seen this before, it was a real humdinger of a match. Two of my all time favorites locking it up and putting a really good, old school David vs Goliath match. Owen was a heel for such a long time in WWF this goes a long way to show how great of a babyface he could have been. I don't know if this is the best WWF Vader match as I liked the Final Four and Shamrock match pretty good, but this is pretty excellent.

Owen plays the pinball off Vader early. That Vader Body Attack just smokes Owen, great spot. Owen gets a frakensteiner that does knock Vader for a loop. For a second, it does look like Owen may have something going with the hit & run offense to set up the Sharpshooter (attempted twice). That dies a death when Owen goes for a crucifix pin and just gets SQUASHED. Vader kicks Owen's shit in. Splashes, punches, gnarly submissions. It is Vader on offense, it is not peak WCW stuff, but it is still great. Owen keeps going for bodyslams which perplexes me and the announcers. Vader is looking for the powerbomb, but Owen nails the Enziguiri of Doom! Vader sells this perfectly and Owen desperately applies the Sharpshooter, but Vader makes it to the ropes. BODYSLAM~! They paid it off! I marked out! Love shit like that! Missile Dropkick and OWEN IS FEELING IT!!! He goes up top again, but Vader catches with a MASSIVE Powerslam! Vader wins 1-2-3! I like the twist on the usual Vader finish, which is him taking the move for the loss, here he uses it for the win. I thought this was a great David vs Goliath match. Not in the same league as the Sting matches, but cool getting to see Owen as a babyface and Vader wrestling like he did in WCW. ****

• 3 weeks later...

A reasonably satisfying bout, although these two could certainly have produced better. I felt like they were holding back a bit because of card placement. There was a natural size and strength vs speed and technique dynamic. The structure was sound. Vader had the majority of the offence as expected with Owen searching for openings. It was cut short a little at the end.

• 3 months later...

This is really good! Owen is over as hell here. He was more over than Bret on this show. Owen works baby face & we get a WCW like Vader match where he dominates & Owen has to use his speed & will to get the advantage. The pop for the sharpshooter is great. Awesome finishing run with Owen getting a string of offense in but taking one too many risks & losing. Great match.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-09-20-WWF-One Night Only] Vader vs Owen Hart