Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-10-03-CMLL] Bracito de Oro & Cicloncito Ramirez & Mascarita Magica vs Damiancito El Guerrero & El Fierito & Pierrothito

Loss

• 2 months later...

I think this is the best trios match I've ever seen. These guys really have a great display of matwork, comedy and highspots. As much as I love the guys in Michinoku Pro, they couldn't pull off something this high-tech in their wildest dreams. I do think this is the type of match you admire more than it is the type of match you love, but I'm not sure I've ever been so impressed by the athleticism and mastery of in-ring craft as I am by this match.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A tremendously executed match and able to toe the line of looking like a beautiful painting of a match without seeming like a choreographed performance. Some comedy was mixed in and great counter wrestling and high flying. Each fall took a natural progression and ended when it should have. A treat to watch.

• 1 year later...

What an absolutely beautiful wrestling match. It could start a discussion about how card placement fits into rating a match, as this feels very "slight"--not a lot of crowd heat, not a main event, not a match involving major stars, the announcers sort of treating it as a lighthearted undercard sampler (Dr. Morales is so engrossed that he doesn't realize that what he calls the tercera caida is actually the second fall)--perhaps too slight to be a true MOTY, if that's something you care about. But the matwork and the natural build to the big highspots are just fantastic. There's comedy, but it's not the overdone comedy spots you've seen a ton of. And it's quick and isolated, instead of serving to make the rudos look like bumbling idiots--just enough to make the tecnicos out to possibly be a little smarter. The dive train climaxing with one tecnico backdropping his partner onto the opponents who thought they'd countered the dive was great, as was Pierrotito's fantastic plancha that seemed to turn the tide in the third fall. Pretty much impossible to pick out a Man of the Match here--everyone looked terrific at everything they did.

• 1 year later...

There was some slick matwork in the opening fall. Fast paced and featuring beautiful application of leverage. It's only in Lucha that you can add in a (good) comedy sequence without making the overall match less serious. Surprisingly the segunda didn't feature a rudo beatdown. It was high tempo and technical all the way. Plenty of high flying aerial action. Doc-tor Morales got the falls mixed up, which reminded me of NBA Jam. Another difference from the norm here was having it go 1-1 in the final fall. Dual pinfalls are so entrenched it's exciting when they do something different. Damiancito turned it up to lightening speed at the end, looking tremendous. Some outstanding aspects to this. A high end trios. It wasn't a high end match for '97 though. There was a sprinkling of sloppiness. But the big downside was that it didn't feel like a feature bout. That's a massive thing for me, a requirement for reaching a certain level. It doesn't have to be a main event, but it has to feel important.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-10-03-CMLL] Bracito de Oro & Cicloncito Ramirez & Mascarita Magica vs Damiancito El Guerrero & El Fierito & Pierrothito
  • 1 year later...

This is a stone cold all time great match. The only flaw is that they didn't go longer. The Cicloncito/Damiancito match ups has to be up there with the very best. We've been watching a lot of French Catch and praising the crazy athleticism, but I think this crew just blows it all away (not to disparage the French workers of the glory days, though). The complexity of these exchanges is just unreal. They start out creative and then they just keep turning it up a few notches. The last fall with the technicos cranking submissions for nearfalls and the rudos trying to turn the tide is so epic. Damiancito (Virus) is the champion here and he really carries himself a step above everyone else.