Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-10-05-WWF-Badd Blood] Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker (Hell in a Cell)

Loss

• 2 months later...

It's been years since I've seen this, but I thought this still held up as a really great match. Shawn's exaggerated bumping really works well in this setting because it's satisfying to the crowd who wants to finally see him get some measure of comeuppance. This was a fantastic match, even with the horror movie finish debuting Kane that people often complain about. Shawn takes the awesome cage bump and does one of the most impressive blade jobs (both in hiding that he's blading in plain sight and also being covered in red) that I've ever seen. Give me a break, 1997.

I watched this last summer and didn't think it was good at all. Maybe I should watch it again some day. Here's what I wrote over at WKO:

I really went into this expecting it to hold up better than one would expect. Nope. This is not a good match at all. First 10 minutes or so they just meander around not really knowing what to do. The outside brawling just has no intensity or sense of violence. The transition to Shawn in control doesn't feel like a big deal at all, and is followed by dominating Taker in boring fashion for way too long, concluding in Taker just inexplicably sitting up after a top rope elbow and a superkick. The whole match is just like "who gives a shit until we get to the outside." And yeah Shawn takes a cool bump I guess, the top of the cage stuff is iconic etc etc w/e. I mean right after Shawn falls off the cage, Undertaker hits a chokeslam FROM THE TOP ROPE, and it doesn't even feel like a big deal because, up to those last moments, there were no nearfalls, no attempts of either to win the match, no sense of urgency or of a real fight. For some reason I expected to still like this match but it's straight up BAD.

The story was that Shawn kept finding ways to do terrible things to Undertaker, sometimes with the assistance of others, then somehow sneak away. He hadn't atoned and in fact kept refusing to take responsibility for anything he had done. This match was all about confining him and giving Undertaker the chance to get even. When the camera man is taken out of the cage, the action spills outside and Shawn sees this as his chance to finally get away. But that ends up backfiring even more and he falls from the side of the cage through a ringside table. Undertaker then brings him back in to finally finish what he started ... and then the finish happens. I didn't feel like this was all about that cage spot at all. This was intended to give people who wanted to see Shawn get his ass kicked plenty of time for that to happen. Note the "Kill him" chants from ringside fans. The announcers kept stressing that because they were locked in, Undertaker didn't even have to be in a hurry to get the job done, so the layout was the methodical destruction of Shawn Michaels ... and then the finish happened.

I mean right after Shawn falls off the cage, Undertaker hits a chokeslam FROM THE TOP ROPE, and it doesn't even feel like a big deal because, up to those last moments, there were no nearfalls, no attempts of either to win the match, no sense of urgency or of a real fight.

As Loss noted, this is more about Shawn trying to survive and Undertaker picking him apart than it is about a fight. Undertaker doesn't feel any urgency because he knows he has it in the bag. Shawn does wrestle with some urgency - it comes through when he tries to climb the inside of the cage to get away, and it's why a lot of his offense is big stuff like dives and weapon shots. Even there, his goal is more to put Undertaker down than to hurt him. He does try to win the match, but all he can get is a two-count off a chairshot, and his finisher doesn't even get him a pinfall attempt. Undertaker doesn't need to really try to win until he's beaten up Shawn to his liking. He heads for the homestretch with the top-rope chokeslam - I don't think it was meant to be a big spot or anything, just a bigger version of the usual setup to his finisher - and a nasty chairshot to pay Shawn back for the chairshots from earlier in the feud. Doing nearfalls would have undermined what they were going for. Shawn isn't supposed to be coming close to beating Undertaker, and Undertaker wants to punish Shawn as much as possible before putting him out of his misery.

If the whole thing bored you, I can't argue and say that, no, you actually DID like the match and just didn't realize it. I thought that they worked this pretty smartly, but a match can have a logical story/narrative and still be really boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Michaels finally shows some fear for Undertaker when the cage is locked. Michaels is taking some huge bumps right from the start. I think this is the right cage ceiling height. War Games is bit too low and the current Hell In a Cell is much too high now. That is a pretty sweet blade job by Shawn. I also like how they made a legitimate reason for opening the cage door to let the injured cameraman out. When the go on top of the cage they have another cameraman go inside the ring to get a wonderful view from underneath as Shawn gets his face mashed back and forth on cage ceiling.

Shawn’s bumping is so huge in this match with Undertaker taking out his fury and just throwing Michaels all over the place. Undertaker chair shot on Michaels is crazy. Kane’s interference didn’t hurt it for me as Bearer had been talking Kane up for months now and he brought him out at a crucial moment in match. I like this match but they hype was so much that I didn't think it was as great as people said. Other years in WWF, it's their best match but I just find Austin/Bret to be a much better one in 97.

• 5 months later...

One of the better matches of the 1990's in WWF to me. Story played out perfectly with Taker taking his time and straight up dismantling Shawn in the early going. Shawn gets a little bit of a comeback and then gets cocky and believes too much in himself which certainly is believable. Then we get the great opening that he sees to escape by attacking the camerman. The bump he takes on the table looks great and the bladejob was awesome. Beautiful receipt of the chair storyline we have been following since August. Tag on the horror show ending and the feud seeming like Taker got his revenge even though Shawn wins and we have a super match all around.

• 1 month later...

Agreed, I really do think this match is close to the perfect presentation for what they were going for. Everything that took place from start to finish in the feud is paid back to Michaels here, he is bloodied, he is killed with a chair, and even more, beaten up on top of and falls off the side of the Cell. Perfect context to debut Kane as well, to me it only gives it higher marks because just when you were so happy to see that little asshole destroyed, he gets to say he won, and Taker has his biggest threat in years to focus on instead. Just brilliant.

• 1 year later...

This worked much better as "wrestling theater," to borrow a phrase from Childs, than One Night Only IMO. All the stuff with the chair has been very well-booked all throughout this feud and shows some great attention to detail. It does start off a little slowly, but it all makes sense psychologically with Undertaker picking apart Michaels, and moves and move attempts being set up and paid off with counters later. Then the ingenious way to get out of the Cell that plays off Michaels' past real-life tantrums--the sight of UT and Michaels battling atop the Cell still holds up as a holy-shit moment in the context of what else was going on in the company in '97 and in this match in particular. Even the finish works. As a pure match I'm not sure if this was good as Undertaker vs. Bret, but the stakes felt higher and is definitely the more historically significant match of the two, on multiple levels.

• 1 year later...

The first ever Hell in a Cell, and still the best. The Undertaker swiftly took command and dominated the opening 10m. I'm not usually a fan of Shawn's pinballing, yet it was effective here in putting over the environment. Taker made full use of the steel as he mercilessly punished his foe. HBK took his beating before starting to find openings and work his way back into the contest. The cameramen inside the cell were providing great shots, but were getting too close to the action. So it made sense when Michael's beat one of them up. That provided a reason to open the door and allow access to the roof. Things went to another level. Shawn got busted open and then took an unpleasant trip. Undertaker was about to finish the deal before the unforgettable appearance of his brother Kane. One of the best debuts ever.

A highly memorable bout that justified its 30m duration. Awesome visual of HBK at the end, laying face down in a pool of his own blood. A WWF classic and top 10 worldwide for '97.

• 2 weeks later...

#47 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-50-1/

This was my favorite match of all-time since it happened up until a few years ago. It still is really high on my list. Some of that is nostalgia, but most of it is not. It's a perfect match IMO - *****. I think this is Shawn Michaels' greatest performance of his career. I also agree it's the best Hell in a Cell. I like Chad's comparison to a horror movie that he has mentioned in the past. I feel like Shawn always delivers in those roles where he is beaten half to death. Some of my other favorite performances of his are: 8/30/86 Rockers vs. Rose & Somers and also Survivor Series 2003. He's just the man in that role. This match was the first time I can really remember discussing (or thinking about) match quality as a fan. Sure, I thought about whether a match was good or not prior to this, but this is the first time I remember my friends and I really discussing someone's performance in a match with such great detail. I was really more into WCW at the time, and I'm not sure I had really seen anything similar to this before. This was before I started watching old WCW or looked into Japan. I was just blown away by this. I would say, a large part of me becoming a true fan of professional wrestling was largely in part due to this match.

• 2 months later...

Really great match. Knowing the story coming in really helps it. The pacing is slow, but I think that's fine. People wanted to see Taker kick Shawn's ass & indeed he did. Shawn took some huge bumps in this. They did a really great job of using the cell in different ways to introduce the gimmick. I also liked that Shawn got a considerable amount of time on offense. It made Taker's comebacks get huge pops therefore making Shawn's continued ass whipping feel earned within the match. The cameraman spot is well done even if it goes on a bit long. It's consistent with Shawn's character & personality to pitch a fit mid-match & find somebody to blame for it. That's clearly why that was done. The stuff outside of the cell is legendary & pretty awesome. Shawn has maybe his best blade job ever. The spots on top of the cell are insane & get massive pops. The table bump is spectacular. I loved the commentary just keeping quiet for a minute as the crowd loses their minds after the spot. The chair spot is tremendous as it serves as Taker getting his payback. It's also perfectly placed right before he signals for the tombstone. The Kane debut is fucking awesome. I've always liked it. Taker losing to one tombstone is a bit odd & Hebner's ridiculously slow count is annoying, but those are my biggest complaints. Fantastic match.

• 1 year later...

I have been very busy compiling a master spreadsheet to get myself in order for the Greatest Match Ever project, but sometimes a dude just wants to watch some wrestling. 

The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels - WWF Bad Blood '97

Man, I remember the build for this match like it was yesterday. I just started watching wrestling in late July of 97 and this was one of the feuds that totally hooked me. Shawn Michaels was at the peaks of his heel powers. So, so, so obnoxious. I remember absolutely hating D-X as a kid and I wanted Undertaker to murder him in the ring. That's basically how they sell this match as legalized murder. In hype, everybody is saying this could be Michaels' last match or the last we see of Michaels. 

Maybe the match I have seen the most in my life. Watching it back, there was not a spot I forgot. I could call the whole match and it is beautiful. We all know the story this is a Horror Movie come to life, but it has been turn on its head. The monster is the hero and the loudmouth prick is being brought to justice, but being locked in the Cell with Frankenstein. Like The Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Undertaker rises over and over again. On offense, The Undertaker is perfect and delivers a bone-chilling performance as the remorseless monster stalking his prey. It is not a mood that is invoked a lot in wrestling, but dread is the feeling. Shawn does a great job never letting the babyface shine become heel in peril. With a babyface that moves as slow as the Undertaker and pace being methodical, it could feel that way, but Shawn's big bumping and how they escalate the violence never let this become boring. My one complaint is that it was a little too easy for The Undertaker to take command. I would have loved Shawn try to throw a lot more strategies early on and watch them fail in spectacular fashion. We see him try speed and eat the big boot then he tries punching and then tries a poke to the eye. However, he is so focused on bumping that he needs to show a little more  "Oh fuck, I'm screwed" when each plan backfires. 

I LOVE, LOVE the heat segment. I love how Michaels ducks on the third ricochet off the cage and Taker goes into it. I love that it takes TWO more spots for Michaels' to cement his advantage: he shoves Taker off the apron sending him hard into the cage and then the suicide dive. Then I love the full court press. The elbow drop using the cage is fucking awesome. Came off great. Piledriver on the steel stairs is awesome. Chairshots playing off Summerslam was great, but he should have went for the head and given us double juice. I really liked that big boot hope spot when Taker tied up in the ropes. It got a big pop (biggest of the match thus far) and was a great hope spot. The backdrop over the top rope wipes out the cameraman. Michaels throws a temper tantrum, which plays into his character. I didnt like that Taker had control and had hit the last two spots took so much of a breather to allow Michaels to do this and that Michaels went back on top right afterwards to go through his finish sequence. I think you need a spot in there to have Michaels retake command by Taker missing a move or Michaels be more desperate to attack the cameraman in order to open the cage door. Sweet Chin Music->Zombie Situp is an excellent transition as to why Michaels wanted to get the Hell Out of Dodge. 

The ending is perfect and revolutionary. The slingshot bladejob, Taker killing Michaels, HBK going down low and then making the impulsive, but dumb decision to climb the cage. The work on top of the cage is amazing and tense. The highspot is iconic even if Foley blew it out of the water the next year. Michaels crumpled in a bloody heap is an amazing visual. I love how they make sure Taker's gets revenge by caving Michaels' brain in with the steel chair as he finally get his receipt for Summerslam only for Kane to debut. What an amazing finish! Kane debuts in the most epic fashion possible and that fucking little bastard Michaels somehow reaps the rewards. Not only does he survive to fight another day, but he gets to gloat about how he beat him. Goddamn if that ain't great booking I dont know what is. 

A+ for ambiance, narrative and booking. They nailed the big picture, there were just a couple details that could have enhanced the match, but still one of the most influential matches in US Pro Wrestling history and one that is so unique in its dark, slow mood. ****3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1997-10-05-WWF-Badd Blood] Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker (Hell in a Cell)
  • 9 months later...

Excellent match. Easily Shawn Michaels' best singles match. Maybe Taker's too. Although I'm leaning towards Brock No Mercy 2002. Everything in the prior months culminated here. Shawn being a total chicken shit, Taker being an ass kicker to no end. Kane! Shawn really put in a shift. His selling and bumping, usually aspects of his game that I dislike, was fantastic. It all made sense and put over the story perfectly. Taker looked superb too. His punches looked much better. Had tons of aggression and hatred in his assaults. It's near perfect however, I have a rule about whether it gets the full five or not - if I have to think about whether it is or not, then it's not. ****3/4

• 1 year later...

I watched this for the first time several months ago. Something that gets a little lost in the history of this, is that this is the last big match Vince called before becoming leaving the booth and becoming an on-screen character. It's a very interesting transition in that we see him call a match that would become an Attitude Era (and beyond) staple, that would introduce a character that would be pretty integral to the company for 2 decades.