Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-10-06-WWF-Raw] DX and the Hart Foundation

Loss

• 2 months later...

Michael Cole is here to interview Shawn, HHH and Chyna and gets a wedgie for his troubles. Shawn declares himself the only and only ICON in the WWF and takes a shot at WCW for throwing the word around loosely and asks the people in the truck to show footage of him last night. But they end up showing the curtain call footage from MSG and then decide to get on Vince's case about it. This goes through the commercial break and is a giant ego wank before the Hart Foundation finally interrupts. Bret is obviously not comfortable with the subject matter here, as he's talked about before, and Shawn and Hunter are undercutting every single line he has. Bret points out that he makes more money than everyone in the ring combined and he's the champ, and until he wins the gold, he's not the Showstopper. Bret doesn't want the crowd cheering him, but they are anyway, and who can blame him? Bret claims he ran Diesel and Razor out of town, which gets a big laugh out of Shawn and Hunter. Shawn debuts the "two words -- suck it" line, tells Bret he is merely support on his pay-per-view events and the Clique owns this business. Shawn is the most vile heel in WWE history.

Just to put the cap on this segment, Vince teases an interview later in the show with Melanie Pillman.

I don't get offended much. Bad taste? That's a matter of personal preferences. There are some lines that just shouldn't be crossed. However, the one thing that really just turns my stomach is EGO. This was just about 20 minutes of Clique circle-jerking and flat out obnoxiously adolescent behavior.

The Melanie Pillman tease there at the end was one of those afore-mentioned lines that shouldn't have been crossed. So, this was quite the segment.

• 2 weeks later...

Triple H bullies the crap out of out of Michael Cole. Michaels refers to himself as the Icon of professional wrestling. Curtain call from MSG is shown on the Titantron. So who does that work? Did the dude who taped it illegally (well not sure if it was not allowed back in 96) get compensated for his video being used on TV? Geez Bret. He tells us what the H stands for both HBK and Triple H. He does call Chyna a guy which is funny. Shawn got his ass kicked in Hell In a Cell but here he is the next night making goofy faces and no selling Bret completely. I suddenly feel dissatisfied that Undertaker didn’t get the job done.

• 7 months later...

It is quite humorous seeing Michael Cole getting trolled so hard here. This promo with Shawn is some of the most egotistical prick stuff I have seen. He is on another level of being a dick. HHH feels so much like the football center trying to be buddies with the jock QB and get his second hand scraps. The DX vs. Hart Foundation stuff from around this time almost has a sense of dread to it. I would be interested if it felt like that at the time. Knowing the outcome, I get a horror movie vibe where you know something is coming around the corner, just don't know necessarily what just yet.

• 1 year later...

Shawn refers to himself as "the very best sports entertainer in the world today," which makes me die a little inside since it stands out in this environment and is a sign of things to come. Shawn offers to show proof of his glorious victory over Undertaker, but instead we get MSG curtain call footage. And this was turning into a decent heel promo before we get into wankery territory that completely goes over the heads of this audience and serves to set up...Shawn vs. Vince? Shawn rants all the way through a commercial break before we're mercifully interrupted by Bret. He declares that the "H" in HBK and HHH stands for "homo" and accuses Shawn of barebacking his way to main events--yeah, sometimes he takes himself too seriously, but I can't really blame Bret for not wanting to say this stuff either. I continue to draw absolutely zero enjoyment from Shawn and Hunter behaving like asses and verbally no-selling everything. Shawn gets more time to shoot long after Bret leaves.

• 1 year later...

Shawn has officially jumped the shark for me. I can't stand him. Not only in the since that's he's a heel & is suppose to be hated, but as someone who refuses to even play with the idea of putting someone else over either in a promo, match, or segment. This segment is an endless nightmare of Shawn Michaels & HHH goofing off. It's actually funny at times, but this went on & on. Michael Cole getting a wedgie & not knowing how to sell it is hilarious. The footage of the Curtain Call being shown in a "lol shooty, shoot, shoot" dig at Vince is one of the worst moments in RAW history. So stupid. Shawn berates Vince at the announce booth over the commerical break & The Hart Foundation come out when the show comes back. Bret calls Shawn & Hunter homos & in a funny moment HHH's best comeback is to say he isn't one. Bret says he ran Diesel & Razor out of the company & will do the same to Shawn & Hunter. This is weird foreshadowing. Bret challenges Hunter to a match tonight & leaves. Shawn & Hunter no sell Bret during his promo & it's awful. They suck. Shawn continues to go on a shooty rant after Bret leaves & says Bret is confusing the words expansion & destruction when it comes to the Kliq. Fuck off. This is one of the most ridiculous segments in RAW history & is probably the worst Shawn has ever been.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-10-06-WWF-Raw] DX and the Hart Foundation