Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-10-26-WCW-Halloween Havoc] Ric Flair vs Curt Hennig

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Hennig tries to grab the title and bail but Flair won't let him. Flair wraps the belt around Hennig's head, then starts kicking him in the face. He ends up slugging the referee too, so the match gets thrown out. Referees run out and try to stop him and he's ready to fight them all. Vincent and Konnan are out to break this up, but they can't restrain Flair. I agree with Tony about how much I hate inconsistently applied security in wrestling. I mentioned that before and will do so again. Where are they during all of the NWO beatdowns?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Action before the finish looked heated and better than I remembered when the feud took place. Hennig still feels like the most non-NWO guy at the time. The finish would be fine if Flair wrapped the belt around, got DQ'd, and then fended off a couple of NWO members before either getting caught up in the numbers game or escaping. The referee stuff was ridiculous and really hindered the angle overall.

• 3 months later...

Decent match with Hennig looking better than Flair (not hard at this point), but ridiculous finish. The referees deal is just inconsistent booking and it's rather infuriating, plus the belt stomp doesn't make a whole lot of sense since Flair didn't use the metal plate to bash Hennig's face in. Hennig has looked better than I expected during those last previous weeks.

• 1 year later...

I've been really cynical about WCW Hennig but this is a continuation in a string of good performances by him. He takes one big bump on the slingshot on the floor but otherwise stays within himself and still works with Flair to put on a decent, heated match. I didn't mind the DQ finish since Flair got a big payback spot for the door-slamming, but yes, the referee brigade was just absurd.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-10-26-WCW-Halloween Havoc] Ric Flair vs Curt Hennig