Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-11-10-WCW-Nitro] Interview: NWO

Loss

• 2 months later...

The NWO is out with Canadian flags and it's obvious where THAT'S going. Bischoff has two special announcements. First, Kevin Nash is back still in a wheelchair, but then gets into the ring on his own. He says besides winning Ben Stein's money, there's nothing he'd rather do than give The Giant the beating of his life, but he doesn't work for free. He'll see him at World War 3. The second big announcement has Eric Bischoff trolling Jim Cornette, which is awesome, and then announcing that Bret has joined the NWO. Hogan gets in a funny comment that he passed the initiation. Liz then leads the NWO in singing "Oh Canada". They should keep their day jobs.

Tony Schiavone billing Bret as "one of the greatest second generation wrestlers in the history of our sport" tells us everything we need to know about how they are going to bill him.

• 2 weeks later...

NWO out with Canadian flags! Bischoff says they have two announcements! Kevin Nash returns ands gets a solo entrance. Hmm. He comes out in a wheelchair. Ducking The Giant already. Damn you Nash. He pretends to be Lou Gehrig and I’m laughing my ass off. Nash will see The Giant at WWIII PPV. Bischoff has been having a huge smirk on his face the whole time the second he came out. NWO do the worst job of the Canadian National Anthem. Bret will love that. Bischoff says Hart is the newest member of NWO. Why not debut Bret on this show?

• 8 months later...

I will never forget being in a hotel room in Savannah Georgia and seeing the Canadian flags and being perplexed at what was going on. Nash is at his tool best being wheeled out ina wheelchair and then running into the ring. He calls out the Giant and gives a shout out to their appearance on Win Ben Steins Money which I have on a VHS tape somewhere. We then get the big announcement that Bret is NWO and I agree that already they are billing him as one of many instead of a huge stand alone name.

• 2 months later...

Truly awful way to even mention Bret on WCW TV when he was not "one of many" but very clearly the hottest news item in wrestling at the time. They totally fucked up from the very beginning. And it looked like a complete mockery, complete with butchering the canadian national anthem, how would anyone really believe Bret had joined the nWo ? This is 1998 already, indeed.

• 1 year later...

More reference to Bret's KO punch, which no one else knows about. Even if the singing was supposed to be bad, this *probably* could have used a bit of rehearsal. Of course, WCW passes up the opportunity to push Bret as the Real World Champion and get a measure of revenge six years later. No one thought so at the time, but that's an inauspicious first segment.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-11-10-WCW-Nitro] Interview: NWO
  • 2 years later...

I think this was hilarious.  Heels being heels and Nash was funny.  Of course the NWO think that Bret Hart is going to come right in and join them after leaving the WWE and of course they sing for him and wave flags.  This wasn't meant to actually convince anyone that Bret Hart was joining the NWO.  It was just the NWO being cocky much like they had done with Sting and DDP in the past basically saying they had joined when they actually had not.  The NWO was pretty funny here.  I don't think the NWO is billed as a group of guys that would rehearse singing a tune ha, but I did enjoy seeing them let Curt Hennig solo a minute.