Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-11-17-WWF-Raw] Why Bret Why?

Loss

• 2 months later...

This can only be classified as a hit piece. It's so dishonest at times that it's laughable, and so honest at some points that it's surprising. They are portraying it as a joint decision for Bret to leave the WWF. Vince tells us that Bret Hart screwed Bret Hart and takes tough questions from his paid employee. Vince apparently isn't above saying sorry and taking ownership of any bad decisions he makes. Vince talks about time honored traditions and yeah, everyone knows about this. Vince reveals details of Bret's deal - $3 million a year for 125 days per year. He suffered a concussion and has vision problems from Bret punching him, and says he allowed Bret to strike him. Things would have been different had Vince fought back, you see. Vince is considering suing Bret. He talks about how he really wanted a storybook ending for Bret and it's sad that it didn't happen. He closes Part 1 by saying he has no sympathy for Bret at all.

In Part 2, Vince says he would take Bret back under the right circumstances -- Bret would have to apologize for being selfish and Vince would apologize for doing what he had to do. He would also say no more free shots. Vince says of course Bret sold out, and he left for the money, but it's not a big deal because Vince helped him sell out. From a business point of view, the WWF will go on without Bret Hart, but from a personal point of view, he is hurt. He questions whether Bret's fans exist separately from WWF fans and regrets what his son had to experience and witness.

"It's too bad that a 14 year relationship was destroyed was because one member of that relationship forgot that we're in the sports entertainment business, forgot where he came from."

He closes by saying he's over it, and that a part of Bret will always be in the WWF. He'll choose to remember the good times with Bret.

Mr. McMahon is born, which is the bigger story here than the truthfulness or validity of what he said about Bret.

• 2 weeks later...

He’s full of crap and this leads to evil Vince McMahon being unleashed upon us. Time honored tradition. Vince would welcome back Bret. Which for the most part is true with McMahon as guys who seemed to burn bridges made it back one way or the other. There is so little sympathy for Vince here as he comes off as such a heel. This character has been launched going forward.

• 8 months later...

Still enthralling watching this 17 years later. Mr. McMahon was born and I was glued to my seat for the entire 17 minutes of this interview. Some is bullshit spewing stuff but I firmly believe Vince believes a majority of what he spouts here. It is captivating to watch.

• 1 year later...

Vince is still sporting a nasty shiner from the post-match confrontation. LOTS of stuff here that would apply to today's Widget Superstars--show respect to the company that MADE you, dammit. McMahon generously describes Bret's departure as a "joint decision." It's flabbergasting that Vince expected to come off sympathetic in this situation.

• 1 year later...

Famous interview that's still as compelling as ever to watch. The thing that stuck out to me the most are Vince clearly being humiliated about Bret giving him a black eye & desperately defending his "manhood" by saying he let Bret punch him. The most disgusting part of this is Vince saying he has no sympathy for Bret. I wouldn't expect him to, but him outright saying it left a bad taste in my mouth. Most importantly, the Mr. McMahon character is born.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-11-17-WWF-Raw] Why Bret Why?