Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-12-08-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin vs The Rock

Loss

• 2 months later...

This was during the beginning of the period when they kept baiting and switching Austin matches. Austin refuses to face The Rock because he whipped his ass last night. Rock gets in his famous "The Rock thinks you should fire him" line, which is still funny. Vince finally tells Austin he'll strip him of the title if he won't defend the belt right now. Austin ends up forfeiting the title because he has "bigger fish to fry", Rock is the new IC champ and then eats a stunner. I don't think Austin buried the IC title, but he didn't exactly put it over as something worthwhile either. Anyway, he has special plans for the belt next week then takes off with it. Austin runs the ropes and Vince falls to the floor … inadvertently and Vince starts yelling at him. Vince is great!

• 2 weeks later...

I came in here ready to yell bait and switch and you have it in your first sentence. :) With Austin and McMahon in the ring, Rock was still getting the Rocky Sucks chants. Don’t know why they even put the IC Title back on Austin at this point when there was a bigger target in the future for him. Vince went flying as Austin was running the ropes. Cool spot with Austin not actually hitting McMahon but Vince still ending up on his ass.

• 9 months later...

JR keeps shoe horning in the Latrell Sprewell/PJ Carlisimo situation into what is going on with Austin/Vince. "Vince, I think you should fire him" is a great line. Vince and Austin have another go at it. Austin is willing to be stripped of the IC belt because he is only interested in the world title. JR plants the seed for WM 14. This didn't make the IC title look that prestigious but Austin has other plans and walks out with the belt.

• 1 year later...

WrestleMania is essentially set right here, as Austin announces his intentions to go after the WWF title. And the post-WrestleMania scene is essentially set here as well, as Vince is continuing to lose control of Steve Austin. The IC title is buried a little bit here, yes, but at least Austin has solid and clear goals going forward.

• 1 year later...

Not a fan of the IC Title being treated like nothing here, but Austin does make some sense by saying he wants the WWF Title. The Rock telling Vince to fire Austin in the third person is indeed hilarious. The Austin-Vince bickering is fun. Austin ends up forfeiting the belt & handing it over to The Rock. He asks to shakes Rock's hand & claps all supportively afterwards which is funny. He stuns him right after of course to the delight of the crowd which infuriates Vince. Austin takes the IC belt & says people should tune in next week to see what he's going to do to it. He knocks Vince off the apron in a great moment while he's celebrating. Vince's reaction is priceless. I didn't think this was a great segment (IC Title treatment bothers me a bit), but it's a solid one that sets up Austin's chase for the WWF Title, begins Rock's push to the top, & continues to evolve the Mr. McMahon character.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-12-08-WWF-Raw] Steve Austin vs The Rock