Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-12-28-WCW-Starrcade '97] Curt Hennig vs DDP

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Greg Valentine sitting in the audience next to Mortis, Ernest Miller, Alex Wright and James Vandenberg is too funny and random. I think this may be the only match on the show where the babyface went over convincingly. Page wins the U.S. title, which is a great way to cap off his year.

• 2 weeks later...

What the hell is Valentine doing in WCW at this point? He should have been someone that came back as a surprise in every Royal Rumble. Flair versus Hennig would have been bigger with Ric winning the title. But at least they get it off Hennig who has been very uninspiring as champion.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

They lost the crowd during a long resthold segment and never really got them back, but until then it was actually pretty heated and a good match. I've been pleasantly surprised by Hennig as US champ, but maybe it's me lowering my expectations after watching his terrible 98. I still think he was actually good during this period and got injured in early 98 or something. DDP winning clean was a perfect feel good moment, and it's better than Flair to me, as the Flair vs Hennig feud had already been diluted during the neverending match at WWIII. Plus DDP winning his first major title was a great way to cap off this year and personnal storyline arc (getting it from Hennig who double crossed him earlier in the year). The WCW wrestlers in the audience was a nice idea, but it looked a bit goofy, especially the shots of Valentine, Mortis, Wright and Vandenberg.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1997-12-28-WCW-Starrcade '97] Curt Hennig vs DDP