Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-12-29-WCW-Nitro] Curt Hennig vs Chris Jericho

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes and the beginning of something that we'll see play out during 1998. Jericho botches a Lionsault horribly but the announcers aren't even paying attention to the match. Hennig beats Jericho and Jericho throws a temper tantrum after the match, beating up Dave Penzer and smashing his chair against the ringpost. He says he's had enough, taking the first step toward his heel turn that would make him a star.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Jericho could have broken his neck with this botch. Hennig has been pretty good as the US champ actually, but in 98 he would be mostly terrible. I think he got injured at some point. Or he just got super lazy. He only showed up again during the West Texas Redneck angle, which was clearly the best part of his WCW stint. In other news, Jericho becomes a futur star for the WWF : step 1.

• 1 year later...

Good Lord, that Lionsault was scary. Hennig is still "meh" but maybe this Yearbook isn't quite doing him justice since it seems like every single match is "finish only"--that said, he's not really encouraging me to fire up the Network to watch him in full, either. Jericho reacts to this loss by beating up David Penzer (rough couple of weeks for him) and then using his chair to beat up the ringpost, thus kicking off a run that will be the thing I'm looking forward to the most out of WCW in '98.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-12-29-WCW-Nitro] Curt Hennig vs Chris Jericho