Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-12-23-RINGS] Akira Maeda vs Kiyoshi Tamura

Loss

• 2 months later...

Good match, not as great as some stuff to come out of this promotion in 1997, but solid stuff. Maeda's "sons" have surpassed him at this point, and it's evident when Tamura has to dumb down his matwork in some ways. Tamura gets his first win over Maeda and I'm more excited about seeing this promotion in 1998 than any of the others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I enjoyed this greatly. Maeda is not a fluid and sick as some of the other RIngs competitors we have seen but the storyline here is very strong with the protege schooling the mentor and being faster and stronger but Maeda getting in this desperation spots to make the match dramatic. Tamura is finally able to put him away which feels like a big moment for him and his advancement.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would rate this as very good even though it was a little disappointing. It was Tamura vs. immobile broomstick for large parts which prevents it from being great. A strong conclusive finish to the rivalry as Tamura gets the Maeda monkey off his back. My favorite part was Maeda throwing the knees to the faces he threw in 89 that injured Tamura but it's 8 years later and Tamura can turn the tables. Also liked that Tamura toned down his arrogance and ego which had cost him their March match and was much more focused. Great finish with Tamura's determination and Maeda's desperation. *** 1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1997-12-23-RINGS] Akira Maeda vs Kiyoshi Tamura
  • 1 year later...

You have to suspend a little disbelief here but it's still big boss Maeda and a good match. I liked that Maeda came out strong with that gator roll before Tamura puts on the speed and then Maeda works turtle-style for a while before staggering Tamura with that high kick and rushing in with the knees, trying to capitalize. Very cool moment. Tamura offers a few snug kicks and cheeky slaps later on, and the finish came out of nowhere but looked strong with Maeda out of options.