Photo

Genichiro Tenryu, Koki Kitahara & Jun Kikuchi vs Abdullah The Butcher, Tarzan Goto & Ryo Miyake

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43426 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Talk about it here.

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43426 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

This would have sucked if not for Tenryu. He took a hell of a beating to get it over and then made the huge comeback, which included a big cross body from the top of the cage. They just kept building and building heat on the heels and I didn't think the heels were very good. I don't really care about seeing Abdullah the Butcher in 1997. The whole act feels amazingly dated. I might even say the same for Tarzan Goto. Lots of dead weight in this match, but I think it was laid out well. It also had good heat and I think they got the most out of everyone involved.

#3 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

I want to hear Childs thoughts on this because he convinced us to put this back on the set after we had dropped it.

#4 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4425 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

I knew Tenryu wouldn't be on the set a ton, and I thought people would enjoy seeing him work in a cage against a sort of freak show team. My intentions were not deep. Tenryu was a significant enough performer that it's worth tracking him in different settings across the yearbooks. And the match delivered on its promise, with Tenryu taking a big beating from Abby and Goto, then staging a fiery rally highlighted by a cross body off the top of the cage. Kitahara and Kikuchi didn't bring a ton to the table, but the energy of the match never flagged. I'm glad I advocated for it.

#5 Kevin Ridge

Kevin Ridge
  • Members
  • 4762 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Tenryu delivering the cross body off the top of the cage was great moment and his fired up comeback after being untied from the cage was good too. But that's it for this match for me. I don't get why guys were just randomly leaving the cage. Butcher's team had the heavy advantage and then he just wanders out the cage door to be followed after by Goto. Unless this was some type of escape rules match but didn't feel like that as guys would go back in cage after leaving.

#6 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10093 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

I can see the arguments for giving tenryu an extra appearance on the set and this does feel very much like a FMW style match with old ass Abby waddling around, but the actual action drug a lot and only really picked up for the big comeback by Tenryu. Fun to watch but nothing I really need to see again.

#7 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 9070 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Abby did provide one good moment: the big face-off with Tenryu was a heated, well-done confrontation between two of wrestling's all-time best minimalists. Other than that, this was the usual freakshow stabfest until Tenryu's big comeback, which was indeed awesome. I don't get all the going in and coming out of the cage either. Jun Kikuchi doesn't even have a wrestlingdata or cagematch entry, but he was a decent enough FIP type. Goto was solid in what he did but he didn't ever seem to be on defense--seems that was all that Ryo was there for. All told this doesn't make for a *bad* match but isn't really satisfying either.

#8 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

Tenryu doing "Why are you hitting yourself?" with a chair on Abby is great. Any Tarzan-Tenryu interaction is gold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users