Pro Wrestling Only

Crowdsourcing: Ric Flair drinking/spending stories

evilclown

Tony Schiavone penned an article in the old WCW Magazine about spending a night out with Flair where he did buy rounds for everyone in the bar. I couldn't believe it back then and was still skeptical until recently reading the Grantland article and seeing his behavior on Wife Swap.

Tony Schiavone penned an article in the old WCW Magazine about spending a night out with Flair where he did buy rounds for everyone in the bar. I couldn't believe it back then and was still skeptical until recently reading the Grantland article and seeing his behavior on Wife Swap.

that show is a bigger work than the wrestling business

Guest Staples

Wasn't there that blow up in Ireland about Flair announcing drinks on the house for the roster, but getting his credit card declined and forcing the wrestlers to pay for it themselves?

John McAdam under a pseudonym Re: Halloween Havoc '90:

As an aside, I don't know why but later that night the guys had the wildest post-show party I've ever seen, complete with multiple examples of "Why Ric Flair will someday be broke". :(

No pictures. This was 1990, back when people could actually have fun and not worry about people recording things on their cell phones and posting them on the internet.

Flair got the mic from the DJ and did a five minute Black Scorpion impersonation. There's no way to make it funny in print, but it was hilarious.

What was scary was that Flair when asked the guy for the mic, the DJ said he couldn't let him do it- it might get him fired. After a bit of bantering Flair pulled out his wallet, piling $50 and $100 bills until the guy finally agreed to let Flair have the mic for only five minutes, all under the guise that Flair grabbed the mic without permission*. All told, I'd say Flair spent about $600 of 1990 money for that five minutes of fun. On top of that, he was buying drinks for everyone in sight.

While I'm gossiping, Flair was AMAZING. He'd meet a girl, walk out with her, and come back about an hour later, looking a bit messier than he did when he left. I only saw him do it twice on this night, but I've seen him do it three times.

*At which point Arn Anderson menacingly barked out "that's what the fuck you should have done in the first place and kept your goddamned money".

Speaking of Arn, when I asked how he was doing he got straight to the point. "I need to get laid TONIGHT- no bullshit. I've got enough cum built up to shampoo a moose". I was dying laughing and he looked at me and said "what, you've never heard that one before?".

No, I hadn't. Good times.

Back at some point in the early 90's, I went to visit my cousin in Atlanta and he took me out to a local sports bar. He told me three weeks before that that Flair and Arn came in and Ric bought the whole bar a drink. I kept looking at the front door hoping it would happen again.

Flair ruled the roost at the Marriott Marquis in the ATL back in the day. It's a shame that the local Atlanta version of the JCP TBS shows aren't on tape because they did specific promos for Omni shows at ringside with an empty studio. Flair would namecheck many local bars saying what time he was going to be there and who he wanted to be there specifically females 18-30. He would show up at times wearing his robe and nothing else.

I love Flair. Who cares if he likes to go out and have some fun. Its funny how many people online(Youtube commenters) take such a moral stand against Flair. Wow he partied and banged 1000 hot chicks in his prime, what a terrible guy. Most of these same posters still blow Chris Benoit and mourn his death like he was some kind of victim.

I love Flair. Who cares if he likes to go out and have some fun. Its funny how many people online(Youtube commenters) take such a moral stand against Flair. Wow he partied and banged 1000 hot chicks in his prime, what a terrible guy. Most of these same posters still blow Chris Benoit and mourn his death like he was some kind of victim.

OK then....

When WCW was in State College in 1999, Flair bought out the local hotel bar that some of my fraternity brothers had gone up to after Thunder..they said he was ruling the roost in that place..

I agree with this for the most part. But as a big fan of the guy, I'd like to know he saved enough to not have to kill himself in the ring at the age of 70. Then again, there's something to be said for the old "you can't take it with you" philosophy, which Ric seems to subscribe to.

Broke or not, I would never rather be Lance Storm than Ric Flair.

Live fast, die young and leave a good-looking corpse, man. Er...I guess it's a little late for that last part if you're Flair.

Yeah he's the greatest of all time. Hell if he's flat broke I'd let him live in my spare room. Flair's done so much for us as fans he deserves to live it up as an old man.

Back to the morality police, what's he supposed to be saving for? His poor boy lost his battle woth the "Dragon" & I don't mean Ricky. I hope Flair's having a good time.

Broke or not, I would never rather be Lance Storm than Ric Flair.

Live fast, die young and leave a good-looking corpse, man. Er...I guess it's a little late for that last part if you're Flair.

Love this quote. :lol:

I pretty much lived by this creed in the last half of the 90's and first half of the 00's. After almost dying in 2004 and dramatically cleaning up my act after that, found I like being Lance Storm a hell of a lot more than I did being Ric Flair.

That said, more power to Flair to live his life however the hell he wants to live it.

• 3 weeks later...

Watch the 2K14 symposium, and you'll get a couple of new drinking stories. Actually, it seems all of Ric's stories involve drinking.

Here's the thing though--isn't fun anymore. Ric drinking and partying, flirting and spending, banging around behind his wife's back and not giving a fuck about anyone other than himself seemed more acceptable, in a weird way, when he was still working and stable. Now, it's clear that his life has gone further to shit without the rigid stability of being a wrestler. His hall of fame comment about his wife asking him when he was going to grow up wasn't nearly as sad as his reaction to the comment was. And especially now with the death of his son, you can tell he is drinking himself into oblivion, just waiting/hoping to get a call from WWE to come back and wrestle again.