• 18958 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Lawler.. .Dundee... Murdoch

#22 The Chief

The Chief
  • Members
  • 1645 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

I always thought Matt Hardy had a nice snap to his punches.

#23 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7470 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

I always thought Matt Hardy had a nice snap to his punches.

Agree with this and also throwing Scott Hall into the mix for best punches.

I remember RVD throwing some really terrible punches in his match with Jericho a few weeks ago.

#24 victory

victory
  • Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

I always thought Harley Race threw a good punch. It wasn't quick, just looked very crisp. He also threw it different, more from the top with a downward slice. I have to agree about Lawler as well.

#25 Sidebottom

Sidebottom
  • Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Lawler is still an amazing puncher. Bret Hart used to look like he was swinging for the fences every time and it was utterly believable.

#26 BrickHithouse

BrickHithouse
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

I always thought Harley Race threw a good punch. It wasn't quick, just looked very crisp. He also threw it different, more from the top with a downward slice.

To me it always looked like Harley was trying to get hardway juice with those angled shots of his.

#27 victory

victory
  • Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

I always thought Harley Race threw a good punch. It wasn't quick, just looked very crisp. He also threw it different, more from the top with a downward slice.

To me it always looked like Harley was trying to get hardway juice with those angled shots of his.

I can agree with that. He did seem to be aiming at the brow.

#28 cheapshot

cheapshot

The chap they call Allan.

• Members
  • 1056 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

Just conversed with Rip Rogers on Twitter, and he seems to think Lanny Poffo had the best punch of all time. "To perfect in wrestling- watch Lanny Poffo punch on u tube- best right hand I ever saw!!! Learn to chop overhand and regular- learn jabs -" When I quizzed him asking what about Bret and Lawler his response was: "Bret hart had a slide off the head punch - punch on the top of the head was phony - u hurt ur own hand, Lawler has great punch - not as good as Lannys - don't confuse projection or being a star as being good." I have never noticed Poffo's punches as been amazing or anything, I may need to re-watch some of his stuff and see if I pick up on his punches. He did, to be fair raise a good point about Bret hitting the top of the head.

#29 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11348 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

That's more reasoned out that you'd expect. From more recent viewing, I think DiBiase threw very good punches. Punching was kind of ingrained into his black glove gimmick. On a good day, I even wonder if they were better than Terry Funk's. He seems to have learned his punching style from him. On another note: who threw the meanest european uppercut? Dory? Regal? Rotunda?

#30 Kil

Kil
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

Billy Gunn's goofy wrist-to-the-forehead punches come to mind as some of the worst.

#31 Big Rob

Big Rob
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Chuck Palumbo had pretty great punches, I seem to remember a pretty nifty discus punch that he used to do. Goldust's strikes are a given, he throws a great right hand. Big fan of Christian's slaps too.

#32 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5848 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

That's more reasoned out that you'd expect.

From more recent viewing, I think DiBiase threw very good punches. Punching was kind of ingrained into his black glove gimmick. On a good day, I even wonder if they were better than Terry Funk's. He seems to have learned his punching style from him.

On another note: who threw the meanest european uppercut? Dory? Regal? Rotunda?

Pretty much everyone threw decent European uppercuts *in* Europe, but Rudge, Roberts, Steele, Singh, Roach, Kilby and Finlay could have formed a nice forearm smash club.

#33 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10216 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

Nishimura has an excellent forearm/uppercut strike

#34 Badlittlekitten

Badlittlekitten
  • Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Check out Zeus and his deadly strikes . .

The best punches in the world today belong to Luke Gallow's.

#35 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2206 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

I just dislike punches in general. For a start the closed fist is an illegal move. You can't safely follow through with it like you can with a chop, forearm or kick. So very often the punch is making barely any contact at all and appears phony. A match reliant on two guys throwing weak looking right hands is a huge turn off to me. Stylistically it's one of the things I dislike most about a lot of US wrestling. No stiffness, no skill and no artistry.

#36 Big Rob

Big Rob
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

I just dislike punches in general. For a start the closed fist is an illegal move. You can't safely follow through with it like you can with a chop, forearm or kick. So very often the punch is making barely any contact at all and appears phony. A match reliant on two guys throwing weak looking right hands is a huge turn off to me. Stylistically it's one of the things I dislike most about a lot of US wrestling. No stiffness, no skill and no artistry.

Surely the skill (and art, if you want to go that far), is in making it look good without it actually being too stiff?

#37 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2206 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:27 AM

Surely the skill (and art, if you want to go that far), is in making it look good without it actually being too stiff?

Stiffness is all about appearance to me as a viewer. How safe and painful the move actually is, that's an issue between the wrestlers.

My issue with punches is that it's hard to make them appear stiff. For a strike based match to engage me then the moves need to appear like they might hurt. Watching so much historic puroresu has set my perceptions as a viewer for this. You rarely see punches because they look weak compared with other forms of striking. A lot of US wrestling over the years just has guys using some weak strikes and a few signature moves. It's such a lazy, shallow, limiting style.

#38 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5848 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:35 AM

The flip side to that is that Japanese workers do too many moves.

#39 jm29195

jm29195
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

That's more reasoned out that you'd expect.

From more recent viewing, I think DiBiase threw very good punches. Punching was kind of ingrained into his black glove gimmick. On a good day, I even wonder if they were better than Terry Funk's. He seems to have learned his punching style from him.

On another note: who threw the meanest european uppercut? Dory? Regal? Rotunda?

Pretty much everyone threw decent European uppercuts *in* Europe, but Rudge, Roberts, Steele, Singh, Roach, Kilby and Finlay could have formed a nice forearm smash club.

I always thought Dave Taylor threw the best European Uppercuts from that bunch, they always really stood out in his matches.

#40 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

Kicks - Kiyoshi Tamura, Shinya Hashimoto

Punches - El Satanico

Palm Strikes - Jushin Liger, Volk Han

Elbows/Forearm Strikes - Mitsuharu Misawa

Headbutts - Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Chops - Genichiro Tenryu, Kenta Kobashi

Stomps - Negro Casas, Jumbo Tsuruta